Would you want Bruce Pearl back? [Pearl discussion — merged]

Coaching aside, Pearl was a great family man, after UT flew him here and made him a millionaire he upgraded and went with a younger arm candy wife. Then he played his son Steven over better players and everybody knew it.

Reactions: MadisonvilleVol
So $7.5m by end of contract? $6m within 2 years from now? Quite a commitment from Auburn.

Yep. Can't say I am surprised. Football is struggling. Baseball team is mediocre. They're investing in the sport that is keeping them relevant. Will be interesting to see if Bruce Pearl can sustain this type of success, or if soon enough he'll have the Auburn boards creating threads after each loss about his salary.

So $7.5m by end of contract? $6m within 2 years from now? Quite a commitment from Auburn.

Helps put Barnes in perspective a bit. The only coach in the SEC who's arguably a top-five coach in the game is Calipari, but you're going to have to pay exorbitantly to keep great/above-average coaches (Pearl, Barnes, Wade, Oats) or they'll command that money elsewhere at a program deciding to start throwing big money at basketball.

Yep. Can't say I am surprised. Football is struggling. Baseball team is mediocre. They're investing in the sport that is keeping them relevant. Will be interesting to see if Bruce Pearl can sustain this type of success, or if soon enough he'll have the Auburn boards creating threads after each loss about his salary.

I imagine he's got a lot of leeway with Auburn basketball fans. Prior to Pearl, Auburn basketball was more or less where Tennessee basketball was before hiring Pearl back in 2005. From 2000-2013, they had 4 seasons above .500. Maybe Pearl sustains his success, maybe it deflates a bit, but even Pearl winning 60% of his games and signing top ten recruiting classes every few years will be better than almost anything they've experienced. And now that recruiting has been allowed to incorporate pay, I would guess a savvy player like Pearl can work with the greater Auburn community to convince guys to come, if you get my drift. Some of the fans may complain if Auburn has a down year here or there, but I imagine most will be grateful for the overall momentum.

If one could guarantee me in March 2011 that Tennessee would feel no ill-effects from the show cause, would I have been cool with keeping Pearl on board? Absolutely.

Do I think Tennessee should even remotely consider hiring him after Barnes retires, let alone at the expense of Barnes’ career? Absolutely not.

We don't have to worry about that happening. AU is going to pay him top dollar to stay.

Reactions: Big time vol
Imagine a scumbag, lying piece of crap coach who had the audacity to lie to the NCAA. which no other coach has ever done, is now at a school that can let the past be past, and is making multi M $, has an 8 yr contract, his team ranked #1 and may win more SEC and/or NC's than TN will win. Not at our upstanding university, we won't have that. (just having a little fun, Save your venom for another cause.)

Last edited:
I remember something about a bbq and recruits going to it. Maybe I’m very wrong. But I believe he would still be here if we didn’t fire him.

Loved the Pearl days at UT. Last time I went for season tickets. I was in the keep him around through the crap and hope we come out better on the far side group. We were the only school he could coach at with the show cause. Remote control for a year of so MIGHT have worked out.

I hope that this deal puts him in a place to avoid his tendency to push the envelope with the rules, directly or indirectly through his staff members. He historically has been one to think he knew where the lines were and could run up and toe the mark. Did not work out here and how he survived the CCP debacle down there is a bit of a mystery. But they elected to run the risk and appear to have come out winners.

If he had stayed, I would not have slept well nights wondering when he would step across the line again unless we emptied the bank like AU did. Still not confident he can contain those DNA tendencies.

edited to add....

I love it when my coaches are winners and are both feared and respected, but If I can only have one it will be respected.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back