Would you take Scott Frost now?

I beg to differ. Most Texas Boys Grow up either Txs or A&M fans. The problem is either Evaluation or Development. They have the CASH .
Recruiting at Texas is more difficult than LSU or Georgia. Louisiana actually has more 4 and 5 star recruits per capita than any other state with no in-state competition for them.

Texas should be better than what they are, but they can't waltz anywhere in Texas anymore and just take whoever they want.

I wouldn’t have taken Frost then and I wouldn’t take him now. Of the coaches we were actually in for when Fulmer took over the search; I would have chosen Mel Tucker and still believe it was a mistake to have not taken him when we had the chance.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
I wouldn’t have taken Frost then and I wouldn’t take him now. Of the coaches we were actually in for when Fulmer took over the search; I would have chosen Mel Tucker and still believe it was a mistake to have not taken him when we had the chance.
I felt like it was a coin flip between Tucker and Pruitt.

I felt like it was a coin flip between Tucker and Pruitt.

I felt like Tucker’s NFL background along with his management degree should have made it an easier decision but that’s me. I also think it would have been cool to bring in the schools first African American Head Football Coach, but we went with the corn bread eating school teacher instead.

Way too early to say that at this point, but I did like him at the time.
I'll admit it...out of Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt, I felt by far the most confident about Pruitt.

However, the post-Fulmer coach I had the most confidence in and got the most excited about is still Kiffin. I really think he would have appeared in Atlanta at least once if he had stayed, but he also probably would have gotten us on some pretty significant probation.

Reactions: Wolfeman_Vol
Didn't want Frost when we had the chance anymore than I wanted Pruitt. Probably would have felt better about Norvell.

At least both had been a HC. That should be the bare minimum expectation here.

I'll admit it...out of Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt, I felt by far the most confident about Pruitt.

However, the post-Fulmer coach I had the most confidence in and got the most excited about is still Kiffin.
I agree with that. He felt like a fairly safe bet. If the situation hadn't blown up at USC and Pete Carroll bolted for Seattle, who knows what might have happened. We surely wouldn't have had to roll the dice with Dooley.

Reactions: TNbuc2
I agree with that. He felt like a fairly safe bet. If the situation hadn't blown up at USC and Pete Carroll bolted for Seattle, who knows what might have happened. We surely wouldn't have had to roll the dice with Dooley.
I added to my old post after you quoted...if Kiffin had stayed, I think he would have hung around 4-5 years with at least one SEC East title, and then we would have had to fire him due to NCAA trouble.

Even if he wouldn't have run afoul of the NCAA, I never thought he was here for the long haul, even if he did really well here. He's a job-hopper by nature. Some other school would have showed interest and even if we matched the offer I bet he would have left. He likes money, but he also likes attention, being courted, and being talked about in the media.

I'd trade Pruitt for Frost in a new york minute...He would do better at UT than he is at Nebraska...Much easier to recruit here.
I have family that are Auburn fans offering to trade Gus and Nix for Pruitt and JG. I said you’re nuts. I’d do that in a heartbeat.

Reactions: jeff1vol
Fit.
The fact no one fits in Knoxville, really, is a big part of our problem. Kiffen didn't fit, but he was working through it.
When I think of coaches who fit the UTK culture, I draw a blank. We need a culture setter, like UF got with Urban Meyer. Gary Patterson could have done that, I think.

Pruitt is trying and not succeeding all that much yet. I haven't given up on Pruitt. If he turns us into a George Foreman type of team that is just going to hurt people and they dread coming to Neyland, that would be good and help recruiting. That is what he tried to do, I just don't see the DLine strength or OLine dirty hatred to do it. Our glory days were filled with linemen that would tear people apart. Even Trey Smith is not that guy.

We don't have a great football culture. Pruitt can either change it or get fired. He does it with coaching and recruiting. His recruiting has been better than his coaching, so I thought he was the guy, but now I do not know.

I hear Urbie's name mentioned a lot. He's too flighty. I know he can coach and has proven it. but he can come up with questionable excuses to get out of contracts or situations . He might fly the coup in the middle of the night like Lane did.

Texas is not as easy of a recruiting job as people think it is. It's easier than Tennessee, but it isn't as easy at a place like Georgia or LSU. There is a tremendous amount of in and out of state competition for all that talent in Texas.
Exactly!! not too mention all the schools in Texas trying to recruit against them.

VN Store

Back