Would you Sacrifice Basketball for Football?

Historically when football is bad, basketball is good. The pearl years were the beginning of the demise of football then there were a couple of bad basketball years in which we went 9-4 in football. Then we become a tournament team again and BOOM 4-8, 5-7, 7-5 and 2-8

In a heartbeat without a second thought. I would sacrifice all other sports to be great in football again.

Reactions: 74charger
As in, go back to sucking in Basketball in order to be great in Football again, what say ye?

EDIT:. I know we all want to be great in both at same time...
Nope not unless Barnes can be our next HC for football. Other than that Barnes seems to like winning more than Pruitt and actually puts his team in position to be successful!!!

Lol congrats on the dumbest opinion ever written on this board. You saying that being a "basketball school" is pejorative shows why this is the dumbest fan base in America. You can be a basketball school and have plenty of money for other sports. Florida did both at the same time as has Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan and UCLA. Stop being an ignorant redneck.
Remember when Kentucky was a Football and Basketball school at the same time? Me neither!!

Stupid question. We were denied a great basketball run by the plandemic. This next season may be denied again by another round of stupidity thanks to communism. The coach and players are exemplary however.
Our football team continues not to understand how to play the game no matter who is at the helm.
A coach with an IQ of 110 and a team average IQ of around 90 with the current athletic ability is all we need. Been a long time. There is no reason to hope for a good football team until the players learn the game. Today's game allows for no less.

Where do you window lickers come from?

Boy, there really isn't a middle ground lol. Like I edited my OP, I know we all would like to be great in both, but in the 90's when we were constantly in the top 5-10-15 in Football, basketball was just something to watch and cheer for TN until it was Football season again. Whether we won or lost in basketball had no bearing on the mood of most TN fans like losing in Football does.

Also, I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful to Barnes/Harper or the current BBall players. I love watching them, along with all of TN sports, Soccer, Softball, Baseball, Tennis, Cross Country...etc. I'm not a TN Football fan, I'm a TN Fan.

Probably because we sucked for most of that time. In the 90s we didn't get any good until the end of the decade and even then we had a coach that was extremely unlikable.

As in, go back to sucking in Basketball in order to be great in Football again, what say ye?

EDIT:. I know we all want to be great in both at same time...

Oh hell no. Other way around, I would sacrifice football for great basketball! Of course, I was at UT for the Ernie and Bernie + Mike Jackson and Johnny Darden Show while Battle's footVols were losing to North Texas State. Stomping on the hardwood made Stokely rocked louder than Neyland by far.

Reactions: BigOrangeCrush32
In a way - Yes! I would gladly sacrifice women's basketball (and baseball as well) for renewed prominence in football if that's all it takes.
Don't want to mess with the men's BasketVol program though.
It's once again on the verge of being a national powerhouse.

Absolutely not. The BasketVols have worked hard to earn the level of respect and attention they have heading into this season. As much as I enjoy Big Orange football, I wouldn't want to sacrifice one program for the success of another. Maybe the football coaching staff can take notes...just a thought. 😉
Perfectly said!

NEVER. I could be OK missing a TN football game, but if the basket Vols are playing, I will figure out a way to watch them hell or high water.

VN Store

Back