Would you Sacrifice Basketball for Football?

People saying no are most likely people who hate Fulmer and realize that Basketball going on Final Four runs emboldens and solidifies Fulmer's spot at AD since he ponied up and paid Rick.

Reactions: GojiraVol17
Absolutely not, and for those saying yes take your fake fandom somewhere else and don't watch a second of the Vols in basketball this season. Barnes and his staff have spent tireless hours building an elite program the right way and have earned the respect of the entire basketball community at large. Football has been the epitome of mismanagement and poor leadership for nearly 13 years now. It's time they figure out a way to get their **** together on their own for once.

No, because a coach and program that do everything right deserves it. When we make another football hire pick a guy like Barnes. Proven winner at multiple stops. Mostly coaching basketball at football schools and still winning. Don't grap someone that has never been a head coach or someone that has only won in one place. By all means get someone with major conference experience.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
No! Coach Barnes, his staff, and those young men, have worked their asses off, to be where they are. They overachieved, last season. This is their year to shine! I'd never take that away from them.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Lol congrats on the dumbest opinion ever written on this board. You saying that being a "basketball school" is pejorative shows why this is the dumbest fan base in America. You can be a basketball school and have plenty of money for other sports. Florida did both at the same time as has Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan and UCLA. Stop being an ignorant redneck.
Go back to your safe place roundball nazi!

Lol who am I kidding, I can’t resist trolling. Just wanted to be in the running for dumbest comment ever written. 😂

Reactions: volsack
Your posts are usually informed and spot on. This one is extremely uncharacteristic for you. Our football program can be mediocre and still generate millions in revenue
Which is the whole problem with our administration. They see the $$$ as being a successful program. It is $$$ and not wins that defines success in their eyes.

In answer to the posted question.

Absolutely not. I also think the premise that either sport is a detriment to the other is ridiculous.
Nowhere in my OP did I insinuate that it was a detriment to the other. I am going off the attitudes of Most TN fans and how they react to when the Football team is bad/BBall team good vs when the Football team good/BBall team bad. The state of the Fans is totally different and so is the atmosphere of being a TN fan.

The conference crown is given to the one that wins the conference tournament, which we have not won since 79.

No, it isn't. It didn't even exist for 1935 and from 1952-1978 yet there's an SEC Champion for all 28 of those seasons it was gone. It came back as a made for tv event and a way to occasionally slip an extra team into the NCAA tournament. Georgia won it in 2008 at 13-16, 6-12 in the SEC. Tennessee went 31-5, 14-2 in the SEC that season and beat Georgia twice by a combined 30 points. Tennessee was the SEC Champion in 2008. Georgia won the tournament championship, which is an entirely separate category.

No, it isn't. It didn't even exist for 1935 and from 1952-1978 yet there's an SEC Champion for all 28 of those seasons it was gone. It came back as a made for tv event and a way to occasionally slip an extra team into the NCAA tournament. Georgia won it in 2008 at 13-16, 6-12 in the SEC. Tennessee went 31-5, 14-2 in the SEC that season and beat Georgia twice by a combined 30 points. Tennessee was the SEC Champion in 2008. Georgia won the tournament championship, which is an entirely separate category.

Almost every conference tournament champion gets into the NCAA tournament (like Georgia in 2008) because they are considered the conference champion. It’s been that way, apparently with the the exception of the SEC, since the beginning of time . I think it’s a very rare occasion that it doesn’t happen. So yeah I was pointing out that we haven’t won one in over 40 years. Hopefully that changes soon.

Bernard King was an all time great. Dale Ellis was really good. Allen Houston was really good. Reggie Johnson played a bunch of years, was a starter for many of them. We have two different ex-players currently starting for Philly. Ernie Grunfeld played in the league for a long time. Vincent Yarbrough was a starter in Denver for a couple of years
Bernard King was an all time great. Dale Ellis was really good. Allen Houston was really good. Reggie Johnson played a bunch of years, was a starter for many of them. We have two different ex-players currently starting for Philly. Ernie Grunfeld played in the league for a long time. Vincent Yarbrough was a starter in Denver for a couple of years
Yes Bernard King was very good, but you sound like a fan of a basketball school making an argument that you’ve had a couple good NFL players. “Well Randall Cobb has had a nice career and Benny Snell is on the Steelers roster.”

All I’m trying to say is that it will take multiple championships and sustained success before basketball becomes as relevant in name, brand, support and respect as football. We don’t have any recent lottery picks, we have zero championships of note , and zero Final Four appearances. No kid on the AAU circuit cares about the Ernie and Bernie show because they have no idea who they are. At some point we’re going to have to break through so that signing big time classes becomes the norm and a top 3 or 4 seed in March is a given .

Absolutely not, and for those saying yes take your fake fandom somewhere else and don't watch a second of the Vols in basketball this season. Barnes and his staff have spent tireless hours building an elite program the right way and have earned the respect of the entire basketball community at large. Football has been the epitome of mismanagement and poor leadership for nearly 13 years now. It's time they figure out a way to get their **** together on their own for once.
This. This. A thousand times, this. Fantastic post.

all day, everyday.

of course I would sacrifice basketball for a nickel. sorry, never enjoyed that sport at any level.

Yes Bernard King was very good, but you sound like a fan of a basketball school making an argument that you’ve had a couple good NFL players. “Well Randall Cobb has had a nice career and Benny Snell is on the Steelers roster.”

All I’m trying to say is that it will take multiple championships and sustained success before basketball becomes as relevant in name, brand, support and respect as football. We don’t have any recent lottery picks, we have zero championships of note , and zero Final Four appearances. No kid on the AAU circuit cares about the Ernie and Bernie show because they have no idea who they are. At some point we’re going to have to break through so that signing big time classes becomes the norm and a top 3 or 4 seed in March is a given .
Now do football the last 15 years.....how many first round picks? How many "championships?"

No kid cares about '98 (because anyone being recruited right now wasn't alive). No kid cares about Peyton or Reggie.

I'll wait

Now do football the last 15 years.....how many first round picks? How many "championships?"

No kid cares about '98 (because anyone being recruited right now wasn't alive). No kid cares about Peyton or Reggie.

I'll wait

Well I guess we’re just ****ed then.

VN Store

Back