Would you Sacrifice Basketball for Football?

No. Rick Barnes and those players have worked hard to build Tennessee into one of the best basketball programs in the nation. They deserve what they have. The football coaches can do the same or go somewhere else so (hopefully) we can find someone else who can.

Absolutely not. The BasketVols have worked hard to earn the level of respect and attention they have heading into this season. As much as I enjoy Big Orange football, I wouldn't want to sacrifice one program for the success of another. Maybe the football coaching staff can take notes...just a thought. 😉

As in, go back to sucking in Basketball in order to be great in Football again, what say ye?

EDIT:. I know we all want to be great in both at same time...

Yes. Absolutely. No brainer. Football is what matters. Being called a Basketball School is the equivalent of being called a sissy. Football is the cash cow that makes all other sports possible.

Yes. When we sucked at basketball we at least were good enough every so often we could hope for making a run in the tournament. Hell, even rooting for the team to just make the tournament is more fun than what we’ve been going through.

Reactions: govols105
Heck No. Ive always been a basketball fan first. Ive suffered through so many of the sucky years to finally have a great team to root for. Football will be back. Recruiting is getting better. The Dooley and Jones recruiting era has set Tennessee back. Pruitt has recruited to the need. Not the star rating. Depth is getting there. Sadly we need another coaching change. Someone who can relate to this new kind of game. Defense no longer wins. We need a wide open fun type of system to go along with a good developer. Or Football will continue to suck. But never would I give up the mens basketball success to get football back.

Yes. Absolutely. No brainer. Football is what matters. Being called a Basketball School is the equivalent of being called a sissy. Football is the cash cow that makes all other sports possible.
Lol congrats on the dumbest opinion ever written on this board. You saying that being a "basketball school" is pejorative shows why this is the dumbest fan base in America. You can be a basketball school and have plenty of money for other sports. Florida did both at the same time as has Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan and UCLA. Stop being an ignorant redneck.

It's tiring to be the butt of the joke in SEC football for the past decade and a half.

Because you worded it OP the way you did. So removing the obvious want to be elite at both. I would not give up our success in basketball to channel that to football. Tough question but in a different way than you might expect. I was taken by my father game in and game out through Devoe, Houston, O'Neill, Green, Peterson. Then as adult went through the other tenures as well. It used to literally made me angry when 2 things happened at Thompson Boling Arena. The black curtain being installed upper deck. And the arena would often only have 3,000 people inside but then Kentucky would come to town and the place would be 50-70% Blue. That used to infuriate me.

But seeing that happen in football in Neyland is wors. In Fulmers last year in 08 the Bammers going nuts when in 4th quarter there were like 10,000 vol fans left like 45,000 Bama fans and Georgia do that in the bloodbath game in Butchs 17 season. (I stayed to final) where in final moments the opposing fan base takes over your stadium.That is horrible fans leaving early and being surrounded and nothing you can do but look at mostly empty seats and ones filled are the enemy.

So yeah I think I would just because the 102,455 is majority our people. And not a rival fan base claiming ownership. I hate that as I opened I have a long tradition of going to almsot every single basketball game even in our darkest times. But at least its not an Iconic arena. Neyland Stadium stands for generations of success and one of most revered coaches in history. And its sad and embarrassing that our teams disgrace it so often and our fans leave it vacant in 4th quarters so often.

I don't even like or watch basketball, but those players and coaches have earned their success so no.

Tennessee football would not have succeeded in the 90’s to the level it did without Pat Summit and the Lady Vols. Good basketball will enhance our football program which needs all of the help it can get!

VN Store

Back