Would the staff take.....

GUNTERSVOL

VOL FROM BIRTH
Would the staff take..... Beckwith, Wideman, and McConkey, or any three receiver types? I like what all three offer. With some speed guys now on board the hybrid and slot types can become real assets and make it really hard to load up the box. But can we afford eating up our remaining counters so heavy on any one area?

I think there are a lot of moving pieces involved here. First, do we even have 3 to offer, do we have more than 3? Is Evans a possibly and if so, because of his UGA LOI situation does he count against this class or next years? What other players are available? I don’t think we take all 3 unless we are looking at changing some to other positions because it would make it harder to recruit receivers next cycle. But I am okay if we take them and see what happens. JMO

I think there are a lot of moving pieces involved here. First, do we even have 3 to offer, do we have more than 3? Is Evans a possibly and if so, because of his UGA LOI situation does he count against this class or next years? What other players are available? I don’t think we take all 3 unless we are looking at changing some to other positions because it would make it harder to recruit receivers next cycle. But I am okay if we take them and see what happens. JMO

How many openings seems to be being held close to the vest by the staff. I sort of believe we may have a backcount counter hidden away as well as some chances to SHIRT a couple into next years numbers IF IF IF coach wants to go that route.... so that would leave us 6 slots right now IF IF IF I am reading the tea leaves correctly. Might could but won't.... just have to see how this all plays out.

first off don't think we could get all three...also, don't think we would take if we could...ok, maybe Beckwith...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: feathersax
Would the staff take..... Beckwith, Wideman, and McConkey, or any three receiver types? I like what all three offer. With some speed guys now on board the hybrid and slot types can become real assets and make it really hard to load up the box. But can we afford eating up our remaining counters so heavy on any one area?
we dont get any of them

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
2 spots imo. VQ said 3 with the right people...but they've already backtracked off their 4 more figure. 247 has held steady at 25, so I'm riding with them for now. I question VQ staff's understanding of the numbers. That said, who knows? Maybe we have room for 3, I hope so.

One thing 247 has been clear on and I agree with is these aren't the Butch days any longer. The Hard Cap has made it so you can no longer blueshirt over 25. This is where VQ still talks like it is the old days and they've never clarified why they think the hard cap didn't cut that off...when it appears it was its main purpose. They seem to ignore the separate signing limit, so I don't have a ton of faith in them when it comes to this.

That all said, the Fall scholarships for K Garland and I Montgomery reminded me these wizards still find loopholes, so you can never really know.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCRocket
2 spots imo. VQ said 3 with the right people...but they've already backtracked off their 4 more figure. 247 has held steady at 25, so I'm riding with them for now. I question VQ staff's understanding of the numbers. That said, who knows? Maybe we have room for 3, I hope so.

One thing 247 has been clear on and I agree with is these aren't the Butch days any longer. The Hard Cap has made it so you can no longer blueshirt over 25. This is where VQ still talks like it is the old days and they've never clarified why they think the hard cap didn't cut that off...when it appears it was its main purpose. They seem to ignore the separate signing limit, so I don't have a ton of faith in them when it comes to this.

That all said, the Fall scholarships for K Garland and I Montgomery reminded me these wizards still find loopholes, so you can never really know.
I think the difference is that Mays and Jones, as transfers, can be counted against either ‘20 or ‘21. That’s where the flexibility is in regards to counting against next year, I believe.

Reactions: MadWorld
I think the difference is that Mays and Jones, as transfers, can be counted against either ‘20 or ‘21. That’s where the flexibility is in regards to counting against next year, I believe.
Both have apparently enrolled, afaik. Unless one is paying their own way for now, they couldn't be a blueshirt. Fwiw, I think we only needed 1, at most, to reach 25. We may already have that blueshirt in the fold.

Either way, it wouldn't help us over 25. Only way to go over 25 these days is to backcount or grayshirt. Both VQ and 247 are adamant we can't backcount.

Both have apparently enrolled, afaik. Unless one is paying their own way for now, they couldn't be a blueshirt. Fwiw, I think we only needed 1, at most, to reach 25. We may already have that blueshirt in the fold.

Either way, it wouldn't help us over 25. Only way to go over 25 these days is to backcount or grayshirt. Both VQ and 247 are adamant we can't backcount.

Why can they not both blue shirt? Neither officially visited or had inhome or in school visit. Did that rule totally go away?

Why can they not both blue shirt? Neither officially visited or had inhome or in school visit. Did that rule totally go away?
They both could, but that means they'd both be paying their own way right now. Seems unlikely, though not out of the question. Fwiw, VQ did posit the idea (a week ago) that 1 may BS if we needed them to. But we are into the Spring session now, I would think 1 of them would have had to decide to pay on their own by now or not. If both took scholarships (as usually assumed) and signed FAAs this past week, then it's done and they are both signed and ICs.

The new Hard Cap simply made it so you can only sign 25/class (separate from the initial counter limit), NO forward counting allowed.

So, you can still blueshirt up to 25, as we have done the last couple years, but not over 25 (assuming no backcounting EEs), as that would violate the hard cap.

Last edited:

Beckwith, Evans and Broderick Jones!

If beckwith, evans, Ward, mckonkey, wideman, Caldwell, Edmond all want in, who do we take? Assume we have 3 spots, with the departure of Williamson.

One player will sign on NSD.....other spot, or spots, will be filled by transfers

VN Store

Back