Worst football trip in SEC

My trip to Athens, GA in 2016 was god awful

Until about 1 second left in the game

I wouldn't call it a 'trip' for me given my place of residence, but yeah...similar experience! Dad and I were the only ones in orange in our section. The Bulldog-type folk next to us were decent enough (mostly good-natured jabs traded as the game went on), but the last few minutes of that one were something else, particularly with the favorable end result. We did kind of hang around our seats to let the more animated riff-raff disperse before making our way to grab some bbq afterward.

Had to be Vandy in 2006. Went by myself and bought a ticket on the street, but that was where I had the most issues with Vandy fans. People hiding tickets when they'd see me coming, openly telling me to go back to Knoxville, a lady sending her child to try to do a deal with me ("Are you prepared to pay 40 now?). Or the worst one: a guy selling tickets, and was asking more than I wanted to pay. His response: "that's okay son. Maybe I'll hire you one day."

The 39-10 beatdown we put on them was a little more satisfying after that.

I don't swim well in other people's ponds.
Best road experience: 1995 Legion Field vs. Bama. Peyton cut them a new one.
Worst SEC: Vandy 2016. Won't go back to that place ever.
Worst ever: UC Berkely. Obnoxious fans, awful facilities.

The whole thread shows that everyone has had their own different experiences.
I was at that Vandy game too and there was plenty of taunting by the Vandy fans -- but what the heck, those bast---ds had decades of pent-up frustrations and futility so I understood they felt entitled.
I had a laugh walking around outside their stadium prior to last year's debacle when I walked by a very old guy in Vandy attire with old-fashioned headphones over both ears and who unloosed a stream of profanity and invective against Tennessee fans that seemed out of place for such an old guy. Vandy students don't seem to give a damn -- about us or football in general -- but their die-hard old-timers absolutely hate us. They mouth off but nothing else. I find them amusing.

Reactions: ptcarter
The whole thread shows that everyone has had their own different experiences.
I was at that Vandy game too and there was plenty of taunting by the Vandy fans -- but what the heck, those bast---ds had decades of pent-up frustrations and futility so I understood they felt entitled.
I had a laugh walking around outside their stadium prior to last year's debacle when I walked by a very old guy in Vandy attire with old-fashioned headphones over both ears and who unloosed a stream of profanity and invective against Tennessee fans that seemed out of place for such an old guy. Vandy students don't seem to give a damn -- about us or football in general -- but their die-hard old-timers absolutely hate us. They mouth off but nothing else. I find them amusing.
For me, it was cold that night. The metal bench sucked the heat out of my body. I got my tickets from a cousin, a Vandy alum, on the 45 yardline in the middle of the Vandy season ticket holders. They were decent until the game started going south in the 4th quarter. Someone turned to us and said "Get you ass back to Rocky Top". I swear we weren't being obno.
We left the stadium early and could hear the fog horn repeatedly going off, and I asked myself (in my best fake english accent): "Is the song Rocky Top as obnoxious to visiting fans as that bloody Foghorn?" Beauty in the eyes of the beholder I suppose. Like I said, I don't swim well in other's ponds, especially when the Vols can't get on the better side of the scoreboard. No need to go back to Vandy...lol

Reactions: CampBlount
Arkansas 2011 was the worst away I've ever attended. Lost 49-7. That was the Joe Adams punt return game.

Okay, then Sept 99. I was there, too. The great Deion Grant picks off a pass in Gator territory in the final minutes and a game winning FG seems easily in reach. Until it wasn’t.

I was there too. Worst road experience, hands down. I have been to all of the eastern schools except Missouri, and all of the western schools except LSU and A&M.

Georgia and Bama games had some trash talking and assholes, but both are cool towns. UF in 1999 was another level.

Arkansas 2011 was the worst away I've ever attended. Lost 49-7. That was the Joe Adams punt return game.

I had such great seats for that game that I felt I could almost stick my foot out and trip Joe Adams. My brother is a UT grad but works at a corporate office in NW Arkansas. I just remember Arkansas fans around asking about our team, and I was identifying almost every player as a freshman.

I hate Gainesville...With a passion but to be honest the worst road trip I ever had was to Lexington in 1981...The fans were ok but the weather that day was absolutely miserable...They had an ice storm the night before the game and the seats were iced over so your butt was always cold and the wind was swirling around the stadium and it just felt so freaking cold that day and to top it all off We blew a 10-0 lead and lost 21-10....I never wanted to go home as badly as I did that day.

I’ve been fortunate not having to experience the worst of any fans in the SEC.

Going to the games have always been good times for me. Too many times the outcome of the game has soured trips, but rarely have fans of other teams been an issue. It’s the drunk fans that seem to be the real problem. That’s why when I’m the drunk fan I try to enjoy the atmosphere rather than going out of my way to ruin it for anyone else. There’s gonna be some give and take between rival fans, it’s my understanding we gave plenty to Florida in 98 and I know for a fact they returned the favor in 99.

The worst is when Vol fans are being the jackwagon.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I was there too. Worst road experience, hands down. I have been to all of the eastern schools except Missouri, and all of the western schools except LSU and A&M.

Georgia and Bama games had some trash talking and assholes, but both are cool towns. UF in 1999 was another level.

Cedric Wilson’s bulletin board material, coupled with the previous year’s OT loss in and an 8pm kickoff were all contributing factors to some of the nonsense I saw from both team’s fans that night.

VN Store

Back