Worst CFB Season Ever?

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
The older I get, the less I like CFB. IDK if it's getting worse or I'm just increasingly realizing most Saturdays are filled with garbage matchups, but holy **** this season was bad. I'm trying to think of the great games from this season and all I can come up with are 4...

ND vs. Clemson (regular season)
Bama vs. Florida SECCG
BYU vs. CCU
Texas vs. OU

Were there any other great games I'm forgetting? I missed TAMU/Florida...was that great? How is it possible that so few games are entertaining?

What I think is boring is when it’s the same teams in the playoff every year

This is the first year where I feel like complaining about it. Usually, most of the teams earn their way in but it doesn't feel that way this year. Losing the last game of the year by 24 and making it in is gross. Making it in 6-0 without any super impressive win is gross.

Reactions: Mtnvol80 and rjd970
I think this COVID year just exaggerated the issues most people already kind of knew. This is not a good system. 95% of teams have no shot of getting into the playoff and the remaining 5% typically even get a mulligan.

OSU and ND getting in this year just shows how corrupt the whole thing is. You can’t tell me for one second that if Bama had TAM resume they wouldn’t be in.

This thing is a joke.

The older I get, the less I like CFB. IDK if it's getting worse or I'm just increasingly realizing most Saturdays are filled with garbage matchups, but holy **** this season was bad. I'm trying to think of the great games from this season and all I can come up with are 4...

Bama vs. Florida SECCG
BYU vs. CCU
Texas vs. OU

Were there any other great games I'm forgetting? I missed TAMU/Florida...was that great? How is it possible that so few games are entertaining?
I agree that this was the worst college football season (if you even want to call it that) ever. The Missouri vs Arkansas game from December 5th was a great game, but it was between two mediocre/bad teams and not many people probably saw it. For what it's worth, Missouri won 50-48.

The lack of parity is hurting the overall quality of the college game. As many pundits predicted, the College Football Playoff format has served to only further consolidate the elite talent talent among the top 5-6. There wasn't much parity to begin with... it's gotten worse since 2014.

This season also shows how the fans and students are essential to the fabric of the overall product of college football. It is weird to watch a college football game with no fans cheering (shots from the student section are especially missed) or bands playing.

Finally, it bothers me that Ohio State will be in the playoff with just a 6-0 record and wins over:

Nebraska (3-5)
@ Penn State (4-5)
Rutgers (3-6)
Indiana (6-1)
@ Michigan State (2-5)
(neutral) Northwestern (6-2)

Ohio State beat two teams who finished with a winning record and they only won two games on an opponent's field, but that gets a stamp of approval to go play for the National Championship?

Whatever you say, Hoss.

Bama vs. Florida SECCG
BYU vs. CCU
Texas vs. OU

LSU-UF was great. I'm watching LSU-OM right now and it's thoroughly entertaining. Bama-OM was really good. LSU-Mizzou was fantastic.

Come to think of it, LSU sucked, but they provided some great games.

LSU-UF was great. I'm watching LSU-OM right now and it's thoroughly entertaining. Bama-OM was really good. LSU-Mizzou was fantastic.

Come to think of it, LSU sucked, but they provided some great games.

I should have clarified that the games needed to have something at stake for me to consider them great. LSU/Florida should count. LSU/MSU should count too, because at the time we thought it mattered. Mizzou/Arkansas...not so much.

I should have clarified that the games needed to have something at stake for me to consider them great. LSU/Florida should count. LSU/MSU should count too, because at the time we thought it mattered. Mizzou/Arkansas...not so much.

Then certainly UF-A&M and Bama-OM. Clemson-BC was decent. It looks like the AAC title game was really good, but I haven't seen it yet.

Reactions: n_huffhines

Bama vs. Florida SECCG
BYU vs. CCU
Texas vs. OU

I'd add OU-ISU regular season to that list. Big upset in that game.

Reactions: n_huffhines
What I think is boring is when it’s the same teams in the playoff every year

There are only at most 6 teams that even have a chance at the playoffs every season. I’m in the expand it or do away with it camp.

The top teams buy the best talent.
Expand it to 64 if you wish.
Same 3-4 teams will win it most of the time.
The playing field is not level.

There are only at most 6 teams that even have a chance at the playoffs every season. I’m in the expand it or do away with it camp.

Expand like I've been saying for years...

Eight teams:

All P5 champions (must win conference championship game)
The highest ranked G5 conference champion
2 "at large" bids based on the highest ranked teams in the final AP poll (accounting for Indie teams and others)

No byes, all eight teams play, use some of your "smaller" bowls as the first quarter final round, keep the semifinal games rotating as they do

The top teams buy the best talent.
Expand it to 64 if you wish.
Same 3-4 teams will win it most of the time.
The playing field is not level.

I’ll save the suspense for next year as well. The playoff will be some combination of:

OSU, Bama, Clemson, OK, UGA, and ND. We may get lucky and see a PAC-12 team get in or some lightening in a bottle SEC team, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Everybody else is outside lookin in.

It’s just not competitive anymore with the same handful of programs dominating every year and Tennessee at the bottom of the abyss. Honestly, don’t know why I still keep up with it at all.

At least basketball isn’t a foregone conclusion.

It’s just not competitive anymore with the same handful of programs dominating every year and Tennessee at the bottom of the abyss. Honestly, don’t know why I still keep up with it at all.

At least basketball isn’t a foregone conclusion.

I used to watch at least 3-4 games every Saturday and be into it, excited, etc.. Tenn being on a historic slide, Bama being on a historic run, a ****ty playoff system, deserving teams getting screwed, and absolutely no hope of us beating UF or UGA in the foreseeable future has killed every ounce of fun. My level of interest at this point is just getting on here and reading the drama and complain about how bad the CF product has become.

It’s real easy for the fans of the privileged teams to sit on their high horse say how grumpy some of us have become, but they simply have no understanding of how futile all this is. It isn’t even about envy anymore. This is all just sad at this point.

I’ll save the suspense for next year as well. The playoff will be some combination of:

OSU, Bama, Clemson, OK, UGA, and ND. We may get lucky and see a PAC-12 team get in or some lightening in a bottle SEC team, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Everybody else is outside lookin in.

I'm of the mind that if you expand the playoff, "Any given Saturday" comes into effect and you have the opportunity for one or more of those teams to get beat.

I mean, I'd be jumping up and down if like a Coastal Carolina beat Bama lol

VN Store

Back