Worst basketball fans ever

I wouldn't call his resume weak by any means especially considering it's Tennessee, but I do think 7-1 against Florida is kind of overblown. I know I'd trade 2 NCs and have Pearl 1-7 against Donovan. And he hasn't exactly changed our fortunes with Kentucky.

yep.

What would he have to accomplish, let's say in the next 3 years, to be considered a good coach.

I dunno that I can put an actual measurable accomplishment on it. Obviously if he can take them to an Elite Eight or Final Four that would be a great success.

If he can have the team showing improvement in the areas of concern that many (even in the Pro-Pearl crowd) have been talking about all season I would be impressed. Basically halfcourt offense, defense in general and motivation.

I also would like to see him lay the hammer down on guys like JP Prince that consistently make the same bonehead mistakes, and the guys like Wayne Chism that consistently disappear and/or show little interest in playing the game hard and more interest in whining. Making examples of players would go a long way towards motivation.

Give it time. My father told me last year "Bruce Pearl will win a National Championship at UT." He also predicted that Hulk Hogan would join the nWo. I would like to believe he will be correct here as well. :)

Where are the Tennessee fans. The majority of you sound like a bunch of ingnorant inbreds,with no idea of what a fan is. You are a bunch of whinee sissy boys who only back one of our sports teams when they do well. You expect us to win everygame ??????????????????? That would be nice. But , Let's get real !!!!! A true fan backs their team. Win or lose. Grow up or get off this site. GO BIG ORANGE !!!!!!!!!!!!
Someone located in McComb, MS calling others "ignorant inbreds" is comparable to Geraldo Rivera calling a person out for being cheesy.

Give it time. My father told me last year "Bruce Pearl will win a National Championship at UT." He also predicted that Hulk Hogan would join the nWo. I would like to believe he will be correct here as well. :)

I forgot about that. Strangely enough, I feel more confident about the future.

In the real world CEO's are fired all the time. So why is a head coach over such a lucrative athletic program not held accountable. That kissing up to a coach too much is exactly how we were stuck with Fulmer for no less than 3 extra years.

In the real world CEO's are fired all the time. So why is a head coach over such a lucrative athletic program not held accountable. That kissing up to a coach too much is exactly how we were stuck with Fulmer for no less than 3 extra years.

So, you suggest UT fire Pearl?

BP has only been here 4 years and when he got here, IMO, the cupboard wasn't exactly filled to the brim. He has done a lot for this program and is building the team he wants. When/If he does establish "his" team and continues to not make deep runs in the tourney, then I believe his job should be in jeopardy. I see the anti-BP points, but let's try to give this guy a little more time. He truly resurrected the program.

BP has only been here 4 years and when he got here, IMO, the cupboard wasn't exactly filled to the brim. He has done a lot for this program and is building the team he wants. When/If he does establish "his" team and continues to not make deep runs in the tourney, then I believe his job should be in jeopardy. I see the anti-BP points, but let's try to give this guy a little more time. He truly resurrected the program.

Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan.

Tennessee basketball needs a facelift. I say drop Pearl, and Pat....letsw get some real coaches in here. Becasue all it takes is the right coach, and teams will miss shots against you. The coach can defend the ball better if he is a better coach, and furthermore a great coach can coach greatly while coaching! HAHAHAHA....but sometimes players have to play too...

Tennessee basketball needs a facelift. I say drop Pearl, and Pat....letsw get some real coaches in here. Becasue all it takes is the right coach, and teams will miss shots against you. The coach can defend the ball better if he is a better coach, and furthermore a great coach can coach greatly while coaching! HAHAHAHA....but sometimes players have to play too...

Yeah, because a lack of effort and incompetent defending have nothing to do with coaching.

I was wondering when the Fulmer comparisons would come out. Bottom line is that right now our program is healthy. Are there some bad signs? Yes. But to suggest that CBP should be gone is premature at this point. We had the best year in school history in basketball last year. While I'm pro-Pearl, I can at least see his faults while knowing that he has built up the equity to get some time to correct them/take the program to the next level. I think the tournament results (SEC and NCAA) will go a long way to telling us how this team will perform going forward.

I don't want to fire Pearl. I think it would be quite foolish.

However I don't think it's unreasonable in the least to ask for improvement. At some point you have to stop being satisified with merely making the NCAAT, and if in 3-4 years we're still stuck in the same spot, I'd say things might start getting uncomfortable. The problem I've seen is that they don't seem to improve. They keep making the same mistakes they made earlier in the season, and the team overall is doing things the team did wrong in the past few seasons. While I enjoy the success, that part disturbs me a bit.

one mans opinion:

glenn guilbeau: Ranking the sec basketball coaches

1. Billy donovan, florida
2. Bruce pearl, tennessee
3. Trent johnson, lsu
4. Darrin horn, south carolina
5. Billy gillispie, kentucky
6. Andy kennedy, ole miss
7. Kevin stallings, vanderbilt
8. Rick stansbury, mississippi state
9. Jeff lebo, auburn
10. John pelphrey, arkansas

glenn guilbeau: Ranking the sec basketball coaches | shreveporttimes | the times

NO gillispie should be 1!!!!!! he will make the final four the next 8 years in a row!!!!! what is this guy thinking!!!!!

I dunno that I can put an actual measurable accomplishment on it. Obviously if he can take them to an Elite Eight or Final Four that would be a great success.

If he can have the team showing improvement in the areas of concern that many (even in the Pro-Pearl crowd) have been talking about all season I would be impressed. Basically halfcourt offense, defense in general and motivation.

I also would like to see him lay the hammer down on guys like JP Prince that consistently make the same bonehead mistakes, and the guys like Wayne Chism that consistently disappear and/or show little interest in playing the game hard and more interest in whining. Making examples of players would go a long way towards motivation.

Soooo if Louisville wasn't way more athletic than us last year (the coach's fault, of course) he would suddenly be a success?

Soooo if Louisville wasn't way more athletic than us last year (the coach's fault, of course) he would suddenly be a success?

Yeah, UT looked at Louisville in the second half and thought "hey we just cut the lead to five and have some momentum, but they are way more athletic than us so we might as well give up."

Edit: If I remember correctly, we actually cut the lead to one at some point early in the second half.

Lastly, just because I happen to agree with hat on many things within the realm of basketball doesn't make me one of his minions, I simply agree with him.

Who, then, would you be willing to publicly identify as a "hat minion"?

Hat knows his stuff, even if it comes across in a way that does not have sprinkles, and gum drops on top.

VN Store

Back