Worse Shape than Penn St

coffeevol

regular old member
By the time it is said and done, will we suffer more or less than the Fighting Sanduskies. I mean everyone basically thought they had near the death penalty and seemed to recover as soon as probation was over and then they hired a "home run" in Jimmy Franks. Seems with the transfer portal activity it will be a very very long time before we are even a middle of the pack team. What sins have we committed and who do we have to sacrifice?

Reactions: de1conley
Yes, thank you for that. Obviously speaking in time of recovery for the football team

By the time it is said and done, will we suffer more or less than the Fighting Sanduskies. I mean everyone basically thought they had near the death penalty and seemed to recover as soon as probation was over and then they hired a "home run" in Jimmy Franks. Seems with the transfer portal activity it will be a very very long time before we are even a middle of the pack team. What sins have we committed and who do we have to sacrifice?
UT should never be compared to the Un-Holiest of Un-Holys.

Just hire Freeze and be done with it. Instead of hem hawing around trying to avoid being punished just hire the best guy for the job. It doesn’t matter what the NCAA does at this point bc this program is absolutely dead. We will hire some bozo though or extend Steele after he wins four games next year. Punishment is coming it’s going to suck, we’re going to suck for years but give the fans something to give a damn about. I swear if we hire another Derek Dooley I’m done. We’ve sucked before and been down before but I can’t remember a time where I just felt there was no hope. I swear one more dime store hire will break what’s left of this fan base.

In some ways you could say yes. Penn St wasnt 15 years removed from being significant in college football. They hadn’t had 4 loser coaches in a row. Their brand instate was much stronger.

But their violations were much worse. Far worse than paying a kid money like everyone else does.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Penn state had all their schollys back within a year.. a lot of people don't know that, so they really weren't hit all that hard. They even gave paterno's wins back to the university.

omg...go take a nap.

Jesus...

Penn State didn’t have the transfer portal to deal with. Not a one of those players would have stayed. That helped them every bit as much as it’s going to hurt us.
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???
Many of their players were allowed to transfer BECAUSE of the scandal.

Damn you all just open up your stupid mouths without knowing what youŕe talking about...

Penn State didn’t have the transfer portal to deal with. Not a one of those players would have stayed. That helped them every bit as much as it’s going to hurt us.

BINGO! I was just going to say the portal changes everything. While we will NEVER EVER be grouped with pedo st we might actually be in worse shape player wise when all the dust settles.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???
Many of their players were allowed to transfer BECAUSE of the scandal.

Damn you all just open up your stupid mouths without knowing what youŕe talking about...

As you correctly and eloquently stated that the players were allowed to leave, it was not common practice as has become the norm since the portal opened. There was an active campaign for loyalty among that group for the sole reason that a mass exodus was expected following the NCAA ruling. Might have been the same kind of internal pressure if there was a portal, we’ll never know. But I’d bet that a lot more would have left if the portal was an everyday thing at that time.

Someone put the OP on suicide watch and take the knives and forks out of his kitchen.....it's only football, my friend. It's a game played by teenagers, most
of whom will never play again after college......There is no altar in CFB for our "sins and sacrifices." Relax, my friend, and take in a sunset, then take the little woman out to dinner......get away from this site for a month or two......gain some perspective, then come back......the dumpster will still be burning and reeking.....you will not have missed anything. Breathe, exhale, repeat.....Be well....Find yourself some peace of mind

Not even close. Read the shape the PSU roster was in when Franklin got there. O'Brien worked a miracle only losing around 20 players to transfer. Though several more quit.

Penn State didn't get back to being allowed 85 scholarships until 2016. They had one year removed from their post season ban. The person who said the NCAA reversed their penalties the next year was wrong. They got the penalties in 2011, 5 years later all were over.

We aren't even in as bad of shape as Alabama was in the early 2000s. They lost 21 scholarships, were on repeat offender probation. The NCAA told them they almost got the death penalty and any other infractions would get them the death penalty. Their head coach left for Texas A&M and the guy they hired got caught with a hooker and fired before he could coach a down.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
If UT ever stooped as low as Penn State and was found guilty of similar accusations, I would turn my back on the program. Penn State fans abd Alumni should have done tge same thing too. Burn it too the ground and build a program elsewhere.

We aren't even in as bad of shape as Alabama was in the early 2000s. They lost 21 scholarships, were on repeat offender probation. The NCAA told them they almost got the death penalty and any other infractions would get them the death penalty. Their head coach left for Texas A&M and the guy they hired got caught with a hooker and fired before he could coach a down.
I hope we're not in Alabama territory BUT there is the cautionary tale for hiring Freeze. Okay, we're going to take a hit now, that's given.

I, personally, think Freeze is a good coach but he's not going to excel in the SEC without.....uh..... nobody is going to excel in the SEC without being "friendly" with recruits.

One sure way, when you're already on probation, to have the NCAA be so far up your hiney that they taste your breakfast before you do..... is to hire a guy like Freeze. Maybe he can beat the NCAA and "recruit on a high level" but that's some near death penalty dice you're rolling.

Just hire Freeze and be done with it. Instead of hem hawing around trying to avoid being punished just hire the best guy for the job. It doesn’t matter what the NCAA does at this point bc this program is absolutely dead. We will hire some bozo though or extend Steele after he wins four games next year. Punishment is coming it’s going to suck, we’re going to suck for years but give the fans something to give a damn about. I swear if we hire another Derek Dooley I’m done. We’ve sucked before and been down before but I can’t remember a time where I just felt there was no hope. I swear one more dime store hire will break what’s left of this fan base.

Look Freeze wouldn’t touch this job with a 10 ft pole. Freeze knows he will have to cheat as he did at Ole Miss. He wouldn’t dare trust this administration who blatantly told on itself like a damn sucker. The way this went down is a disgrace and now again UT is the laughing stock of the country. So just save your energy and get ready for below Mid Major Mike or Dime Store Dan because nobody wants to come here and they’re not going to break the bank to sway anyone either

VN Store

Back