Women's Scholarship limits

TMHoosierVol

Thread Assassin

Why does Pat Summit only fill 11 - 13 scholarships every year when they are alloted 15. Every season that doesn't end in a final four run usually ends up with the same excuse being offered up. If we hadn't lost so and so it would have been different.

Injuries, unfortunatly, are part of the game, especially in women's BB with all of the knee injuries being a common occurance. Why does she routinely find herself in this same position every season. Why not use those remaining 3 scholarships to insure there is a full bench late in the season instead of 2 or 3 players that she trusts to come off the bench.

I have been curious about the reasoning behind this for years. Is there anybody that can shed some light on this subject.

Why does Pat Summit only fill 11 - 13 scholarships every year when they are alloted 15. Every season that doesn't end in a final four run usually ends up with the same excuse being offered up. If we hadn't lost so and so it would have been different.

Injuries, unfortunatly, are part of the game, especially in women's BB with all of the knee injuries being a common occurance. Why does she routinely find herself in this same position every season. Why not use those remaining 3 scholarships to insure there is a full bench late in the season instead of 2 or 3 players that she trusts to come off the bench.

I have been curious about the reasoning behind this for years. Is there anybody that can shed some light on this subject.
I think the limit is 13

When she starts, we will have a full roster.

I consider it a full roster when there are 13-15 players on scholarship. As you pointed out, it will be full for the next two seasons.

My question still is why not every year. I did a little research on the Lady Vols website, and do you realize that over the last twenty seasons, Pat has only had a full roster 6 out of 20 years. 14 of those seasons, she burned at least 3, sometimes more scholarships.

With all due respect, Why?

Does anybody know if Cait not playing next year frees up a scholarship? Can they switch her to another type of scholarship and free up one for the team?

I consider it a full roster when there are 13-15 players on scholarship. As you pointed out, it will be full for the next two seasons.

My question still is why not every year. I did a little research on the Lady Vols website, and do you realize that over the last twenty seasons, Pat has only had a full roster 6 out of 20 years. 14 of those seasons, she burned at least 3, sometimes more scholarships.

The last time Tennessee had a "full" roster of 15 was in the 2001-02 season. Pat said at the time that it would be the last time she would have 15. Since she typically recruits only the best of the best, it's hard to get all of those superstar egos to accept lesser roles. That's what happened in 01-02, and the team suffered down the stretch as fewer players were willing to accept the roles they were given, causing MAJOR chemistry problems.

Yes, when you have a smaller roster the injury bug hurts more, but that's a part of the game. If you over recruit and have no injuries, then you have chemistry problems. If you under recruit and lose players to injury, then you have numbers problems. There's no right answer.

It is typical for other schools to not carry a full roster, BTW. Only two SEC schools had 15 scholarship players this season.

It's not like football where overloading will hurt you...there will always be people graduating/leaving, giving you quite a few of those 88 spots. In bball, with only 15, Summitt needs to make sure she has room year-to-year. It would be terrible to miss on the next Candace Parker because you filled your roster up with sub-par talent that won't be out for 3 more years.

Does anybody know if Cait not playing next year frees up a scholarship? Can they switch her to another type of scholarship and free up one for the team?

Yes if Coach Summitt wanted to it would free up a space, but Coach Summitt wants her on a ball scholarship.

Yes if Coach Summitt wanted to it would free up a space, but Coach Summitt wants her on a ball scholarship.
If that is the case it appears Pat has changed her mind. KNS article said Cait is being switched to a medical scholarship and Pat is looking to add a combo guard for 2010.

It appears OM likes fishing.:eek:hmy:
I'm not sure of what you are trying to imply, but if you look at the date and time of the posts you would realize the information came out after the question was asked and the reply by CP3fan. As for the question as to "why do I ask?", that's simple. I follow the girls very closely and was hoping we could pick up another guard. Satisfied?

I'm not sure of what you are trying to imply, but if you look at the date and time of the posts you would realize the information came out after the question was asked and the reply by CP3fan. As for the question as to "why do I ask?", that's simple. I follow the girls very closely and was hoping we could pick up another guard. Satisfied?

I usually just scan the comments and don't look at dates posted. It would have been more properly understood if you had referred to your original question and just stated that you just read the new scholarship info in the paper. That would have put the events in context for the average reader. And, I am quite sure, after reading your response, that you understood fully the fisherman comment. My apologies.

VN Store

Back