Woke Medicine: A Prescription for Disaster

Franklin Pierce

It is a popular sport among those on the progressive left to dismiss conservatives' concerns about the spread of "woke" ideology (such as Critical Race Theory and "antiracism" training) in public education and corporate culture. Parents are scolded for suggesting that seeing the world through the "lens of CRT" or the factually challenged posturing of the 1619 Project might be harmful to their children's education, and employees are chastised for questioning the effectiveness of new mandates on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. The implication is that only a racist would resist the new "antiracism."

And yet, there is one arena in which woke thinking is not merely politically polarizing, but deadly. As Dr. Stanley Goldfarb, a nephrologist and associate dean for curriculum at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, writes in Take Two Aspirin and Call Me By My Pronouns, the "quiet woke revolution" that had been going on in medicine for some time "erupted in spring 2020 into a full-blown revolution"—one with ongoing negative consequences.

That year, in the wake of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis and the ensuing protests, and amid a global pandemic, doctors and medical students began going well beyond their remit as physicians to embrace the role of social justice activists. "Led by a cadre of woke administrators who embraced the tenets of critical race theory, the medical establishment was committing itself to a misguided focus on anti-racism and equity in all aspects of the health-care system," Goldfarb writes.

Woke Medicine: A Prescription for Disaster - Washington Free Beacon

It is a popular sport among those on the progressive left to dismiss conservatives' concerns about the spread of "woke" ideology (such as Critical Race Theory and "antiracism" training) in public education and corporate culture. Parents are scolded for suggesting that seeing the world through the "lens of CRT" or the factually challenged posturing of the 1619 Project might be harmful to their children's education, and employees are chastised for questioning the effectiveness of new mandates on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. The implication is that only a racist would resist the new "antiracism."

And yet, there is one arena in which woke thinking is not merely politically polarizing, but deadly. As Dr. Stanley Goldfarb, a nephrologist and associate dean for curriculum at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, writes in Take Two Aspirin and Call Me By My Pronouns, the "quiet woke revolution" that had been going on in medicine for some time "erupted in spring 2020 into a full-blown revolution"—one with ongoing negative consequences.

That year, in the wake of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis and the ensuing protests, and amid a global pandemic, doctors and medical students began going well beyond their remit as physicians to embrace the role of social justice activists. "Led by a cadre of woke administrators who embraced the tenets of critical race theory, the medical establishment was committing itself to a misguided focus on anti-racism and equity in all aspects of the health-care system," Goldfarb writes.

Woke Medicine: A Prescription for Disaster - Washington Free Beacon
This was my concern when I read that the Dean of Duke Medical School praised the doctor ("who missed a vein" and bragged about it as karma,) about her admonishing the patient for a quip about the pronoun on her badge.
It's scary that I'll be checking degrees and Duke might be one that I know, 100% of their medical training was not about medicine but about making sure I'm a good little sheep.

The gracious, tolerant liberal mind in action. This woman is the definition of fascist - only you can't call her that because the fascist left have trademarked the term as the epitome of evil and intolerance and declared it only applies to others - not their kind.

The 11 principles of Nazi propaganda created by Goebbels:

1.- Principle of simplification and the single enemy. Adopt a single idea, a single Symbol; Individualize the adversary into a single enemy.

2.- Principle of the contagion method. Gather diverse adversaries into a single category or individual; The adversaries must be made up of an individual sum.

3.- Principle of transposition. Load on the opponent his own errors or defects, responding the attack with the attack. "If you can't deny the bad news, invent others that distract them."

4.- Principle of exaggeration and disfigurement. Turn any anecdote, however small, into a serious threat.

5.- Principle of popularization. “All propaganda must be popular, adapting its level to the least intelligent of the individuals to whom it is directed. The larger the mass to convince, the smaller the mental effort must be made. The receptive capacity of the masses is limited and their understanding poor; in addition, they have great facility to forget ”.

6.- Orchestration principle. "Propaganda must be limited to a small number of ideas and repeated tirelessly, presented over and over from different perspectives but always converging on the same concept. Without fissures or doubts ”. This is also where the famous phrase comes from: "If a lie is repeated enough, it eventually becomes true."

7.- Principle of renewal. New information and arguments must be constantly broadcast at such a rate that when the opponent responds the public is already interested in something else. The adversary's responses must never be able to counter the increasing level of accusations.

8.- Principle of plausibility. Construct arguments from various sources, through so-called balloon probes or fragmentary information.

9.- Principle of silencing. Silencing on issues on which there are no arguments and disguising the news that favors the adversary, also counterprogramming with the help of related media.

10.- Principle of transfusion. As a general rule, propaganda always operates from a pre-existing substrate, be it a national mythology or a complex of traditional hatreds and prejudices; it is about spreading arguments that can take root in primitive attitudes.

11.- Principle of unanimity. To convince many people that they think "like everyone else", creating the impression of unanimity.

Reactions: AM64
The gracious, tolerant liberal mind in action. This woman is the definition of fascist - only you can't call her that because the fascist left have trademarked the term as the epitome of evil and intolerance and declared it only applies to others - not their kind.
What is the definition of fascist? Just curious as to what you think it is.

What is the definition of fascist? Just curious as to what you think it is.

As defined it's far right totalitarianism - usually with the term ultra nationalist thrown in. I just reject that it has to be far right because as far as state terrorism against citizens, becoming a pest to the rest of the world, and the totalitarian aspects, there's little difference between a Hitler or a Stalin. Hitler is considered a fascist but ironically Stalin isn't. Both terrorized their populations, both ran crooked legal systems, both enslaved certain people in gulags or concentration camps and starved or murdered them, both captured other countries and created "empires". The real difference is that under Stalin the state owned everything, and under Hitler there was the pretense of private ownership ... as long as the owner remained subservient.

To me fascism/fascist is just a term for despotism, and political bent - left or right - is immaterial. Its use as a derogatory term should apply equally to the left or right - no reason for allowing leftists to coin a term that describes someone or some system as subhuman when their own is equally despicable. That is a part of the left's propaganda - paint the opposition as a special evil and give them a name - makes it easier to focus hate when there is a name.

As defined it's far right totalitarianism - usually with the term ultra nationalist thrown in. I just reject that it has to be far right because as far as state terrorism against citizens, becoming a pest to the rest of the world, and the totalitarian aspects, there's little difference between a Hitler or a Stalin. Hitler is considered a fascist but ironically Stalin isn't. Both terrorized their populations, both ran crooked legal systems, both enslaved certain people in gulags or concentration camps and starved or murdered them, both captured other countries and created "empires". The real difference is that under Stalin the state owned everything, and under Hitler there was the pretense of private ownership ... as long as the owner remained subservient.

To me fascism/fascist is just a term for despotism, and political bent - left or right - is immaterial. Its use as a derogatory term should apply equally to the left or right - no reason for allowing leftists to coin a term that describes someone or some system as subhuman when their own is equally despicable. That is a part of the left's propaganda - paint the opposition as a special evil and give them a name - makes it easier to focus hate when there is a name.
It's a far left ideology

Reactions: rekinhavoc

Mussolini and Giovanni Gentile described fascism as the merger of the state and corporations/large businesses.

Reactions: DonjoVol
Mussolini and Giovanni Gentile described fascism as the merger of the state and corporations/large businesses.
The recent government sponsored censorship and vaccine mandates which were enforced by private companies is an example of fascism.

Check out this caveat from the NYC webpage for COVID data:

"About Health Inequities in Data: Differences in health outcomes and vaccination coverage among racial and ethnic groups are due to long-term structural racism, not biological or personal traits."

This is ridiculous. There is no way to conclude at this stage whether observed racial disparities have some genetic basis or not. To presumptuously say it's all due to structural racism is anti-scientific. For example, COVID hits certain blood types worse than others and we know that blood types are not distributed the same across all races. Accordingly, it's possible that there's a genetic basis for some of the observed difference.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back