Woah!!! There’s No EXCITEMENT in Knoxville??

There was a strong rumor that he was contacted two seasons ago by several Tennessee boosters about the job. Him still playing ball seems to be the hold up to moving forward. He is not denying the job at all so that is all he has to do to take his name out of the running. I think the money is there Tennessee wants to be a winner at the highest level again. Fulmer is not any of the past guys we've had here he knows what a winning coach looks like. He will make a good choice.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Why would Walz leave Louisville? He has his program at or near the top. Why would he want to start over? Money? I expect Louisville can or is paying him as much as UT will or can. (he might us UT to leverage a raise and longer term deal with Louisville, we've seen this ploy before) I'm just wondering....

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Why would Walz leave Louisville? He has his program at or near the top. Why would he want to start over? Money? I expect Louisville can or is paying him as much as UT will or can. (he might us UT to leverage a raise and longer term deal with Louisville, we've seen this ploy before) I'm just wondering....
Louisville newspapers are making it sound like he's coming to Tennessee. I think there is a very high probability that he will become the next Tennessee women's basketball head coach. It sounds like you don't want Jeff Walz as Tennessee women's basketball head coach.

Reactions: TenUhSee
Start over? He wouldn't exactly be starting from scratch here... he might think he can recruit better from Tennessee than he can from Louisville (I would agree with this). Success is relative. He hasn't won a National Championship.

Your concerns over him using Tennessee as leverage are valid except that it would be strange for him to be doing that while his team was in the 2nd week of the NCAA Tournament.

Why leave Louisville? My son travels a lot for his business and he's told me that Louisville is one rough city and he'd take Knoxville over Louisville for a lot less. I'm sure when you make $250K+ that probably doesn't matter since there are nice areas in any large city, but just saying.

Perhaps the prestige of coaching such a storied program? Far more generous support from an AD that he won't literally have to beg for recruiting funds, maybe? A rabidly attentive fan base? Knoxville is a nice place to live if you have money?

We could fairly easily come up with plenty of reasons.

Why leave Louisville? My son travels a lot for his business and he's told me that Louisville is one rough city and he'd take Knoxville over Louisville for a lot less. I'm sure when you make $250K+ that probably doesn't matter since there are nice areas in any large city, but just saying.
I have heard that Louisville is a really nice place to live.... Walz does have a good job.... but in terms of women's basketball, Tennessee is a better job with a higher ceiling. The fact that Holly Warlick was still able to sign elite players (such as Jordan Horston) even in the end speaks volumes about the possibilities here.

This is a dream job for so many! The only reason they may shy away from coming here is because of the microscope they will be under. We expect greatness because we deserve it as an elite program in women’s basketball, women’s collegiate sports.

With that said, I really like his coaching style, his personality on the sideline, he’s hard nosed, expects a ton from his players, and is not one to bit his lip.

The article has a point, the polish is off this program. The driver turned it hard left into oncoming traffic. Goods news is it can be revived in about 10 seconds! The men's team is a good example.
With this hire, it's not a stretch to think Tennessee could be back in the Final Four by 2021. It really could happen that fast.

The article has a point, the polish is off this program. The driver turned it hard left into oncoming traffic. Goods news is it can be revived in about 10 seconds! The men's team is a good example.

I think a more appropriate example is when UK jettisoned Gillespie and brought in Calipari.

After you lose to friggin Alabama like 4 times in a row ... yeah, Id say the excitement is down. One off season of training and preparation by a competent staff can remedy that in a hurry.

Reactions: VolAmerican
Know of a D1 coach that took what everyone thought was not as good a job with what he had going but what no one knew except his friends was that a new AD had been hired and he wasn’t comfortable with him and wanted out of dodge. He took the other job when the experts said he wouldn’t. Heck, he would’ve come to UT if Martin had left us a few weeks earlier. Well, he left and now has a team in the sweet 16. Many reasons to leave at times and not always just money.

We all know why the excitement was down, and that situation will hopefully improve with new leadership. Hence the reason why we're even discussing this. If there wasn't passion and excitement for Lady Vol Basketball, Holly would still be coaching b/c no pressure would exist and leadership wouldn't feel pressed to make a change.

VN Store

Back