With College Football Playoff change looming, a 12-team model leads the way

One word will drive this and if it doesn't work that same word will drive it to change or evolve.
MONEY$$$$$
Just sit back and enjoy or don't...

It may not hurt the lesser bowl games, but it does eliminate 16 potential teams from getting a bowl bid along with the exposure/recognition and possible payday of playing in a bowl. 16 is too many. The existing conference championships are effectively first round playoffs as is. 2-3 loss teams don't need to be in a playoff and IF there is a deserving 2 loss team, there is room in the 8 team format to include them.
Which 16 teams are those? There are more bowl games. There are more teams involved now than before the playoffs.

One word will drive this and if it doesn't work that same word will drive it to change or evolve.
MONEY$$$$$
Just sit back and enjoy or don't...
People throw this out as if greedy robber barons are sitting in a smoke filled room plotting to make a illegitimate fortune.

There is money because there is fan demand for what they're doing. There's money because they are providing a product that we want and are willing to pay for.

The larger the playoffs get, the less you need regular season games. I agree with several above, with 12 teams or more eventually, I don’t know why you need conference championships. And really, when you keep going, will you need many out of conference games? The good teams are going to meet in the playoffs anyway. IMO, college football has had the best regular season, the only good way I see to preserve that would be to put more emphasis on conference games.

Reactions: GoVols15
The problem is that every conference champ doesn't deserve a spot.... if Utah goes 8-5 and wins the Pac-12, they don't deserve the spot over a 10-2 LSU team
Yes they do. If LSU doesn't win their conference. If humans pick the participants, its the same **** we still have, it just makes the networks and the conferences more money and makes it unaffordable for the fans.

People throw this out as if greedy robber barons are sitting in a smoke filled room plotting to make a illegitimate fortune.

There is money because there is fan demand for what they're doing. There's money because they are providing a product that we want and are willing to pay for.

Well, no not really. Fans want a more balanced playoff system that doesn't make it seem like some teams are getting shafted every year, regardless of how many additional games that means. The driving factor for expansion for the CFB playoff committee, and the conferences themselves is creating more television viewership. The advertising dollars that the various networks stand to make by expanding the playoffs makes any revenue from the actual games themselves, pale in comparison.

In the end, it's not so much about fostering greater competition, but generating more revenue for all involved.

Well, no not really. Fans want a more balanced playoff system that doesn't make it seem like some teams are getting shafted every year, regardless of how many additional games that means. The driving factor for expansion for the CFB playoff committee, and the conferences themselves is creating more television viewership. The advertising dollars that the various networks stand to make by expanding the playoffs makes any revenue from the actual games themselves, pale in comparison.

In the end, it's not so much about fostering greater competition, but generating more revenue for all involved.
So you disagreed... then made my case for me. Someone is watching to "drive" more tv viewership.

IF they thought they were going to make more money because more people watched or "consumed" the product then they would have already made the change.

This is being considered now because the 4 team model worked. Fans liked it and paid for it... while bowl games not only survived but increased.

VN Store

Back