With College Football Playoff change looming, a 12-team model leads the way

Why?

Literally only affects a handful of teams (a max of 2 teams/year could ever possibly have to play 17 games...4/year could play 16 games). The current max is 15 games (max 2 teams/year).

For a max of 6 teams out of 130+ playing an extra game or 2 is hardly reason to lower regular season game totals for the other 124+ teams. Jmo
It does matter a lot, especially since the ones playing those extra games are going to be the ones that have the most to lose from injury because they will have more kids that's capable of going on to be a pro. You forget, this world is getting soft.

Can we at least wait until we get competitive semifinals in the current four-team playoff format before expanding?

This allllllll day long.

So far the 4 team playoffs have only shown that the BSC top 2 model was working fine. How many of the playoff Finals would not have been the BSC top 2? The first one maybe?

I always wanted a college playoff but honestly I’ve found the semis lacking. Mostly blowouts.

the problem with computers is they could not pass the eyeball test. the problem with the humans is they have alliances. they get paid. a medium would be a BCS style playoff with conference champions. i'm an 8 team guy.

Looks like 12 it is.
6 highest ranked conf champs (no conference champ guaranteed to get it). After that, six highest ranked teams left. Say hello to 4 SEC most years.

Well...Its a start I suppose but I still say this doesn't go far enough as I believe all ten D-1 conference winners should get automatic bids with 6 at large bids to the remaning highest ranked teams. Under the 12 team playoff only one G5 team gets in every year. I also hate the idea of the top 4 teams having a bye in the 1st round. Still, at least it's SOME progress I suppose.

Reactions: krichunaka
Well...Its a start I suppose but I still say this doesn't go far enough as I believe all ten D-1 conference winners should get automatic bids with 6 at large bids to the remaning highest ranked teams. Under the 12 team playoff only one G5 team gets in every year. I also hate the idea of the top 4 teams having a bye in the 1st round. Still, at least it's SOME progress I suppose.

So you want a playoff that won't see a competitive game until at least the semi-finals?

The problem is that every conference champ doesn't deserve a spot.... if Utah goes 8-5 and wins the Pac-12, they don't deserve the spot over a 10-2 LSU team

Couldnt disagree more.

I will never ever understand how devaluing the regular season is something everyone clamors for.

If you cant win your division/conference how can you possibly proclaim yourself the national champion?

I know im in the minority...but i prefer a real champion.

A team that was great all seasoisis more a championthan a team that was ok all season and finally figured it out the last 3 games of the season.

IMO, tournament champs arent as impressive as all season champs

Reactions: Buzzbait
Couldnt disagree more.

I will never ever understand how devaluing the regular season is something everyone clamors for.

If you cant win your division/conference how can you possibly proclaim yourself the national champion?

A team that was great all seasoisis more a championthan a team that was ok all season and finally figured it out the last 3 games of the season.

You are the one devaluing the regular season. Based on the example you quoted, an 8 win team would qualify for the playoff while a 10 win team wouldn't. That is significantly overvaluing 1 game (the Pac-12 Championship Game) versus the entire rest of the season.

You are the one devaluing the regular season. Based on the example you quoted, an 8 win team would qualify for the playoff while a 10 win team wouldn't. That is significantly overvaluing 1 game (the Pac-12 Championship Game) versus the entire rest of the season.

It also operates on the fallacy that all conferences are created equal. Everyone wants to beat their chest about how great the SEC is, but then some want to argue that winning the MAC is better than being runner-up in the SEC.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Couldnt disagree more.

So superbowl winners that didn't win their division aren't real champions?

Big time college football used to be unique. It stood on it's own forever. Now, it's just like everything else.

Reactions: hog88
Adamantly against an auto-bid for a G5 team. If your schedule is so soft that 25 other teams could conceivably go undefeated with your schedule, you don't deserve an automatic spot in the Championship. If you have some solid P5 wins on your schedule, maybe a different story. But an automatic spot to a G5 team is undeserved and will not yield good football. In truth, this expands to P5 teams too. I mean, look at Clemson's schedule this year outside of the UGA game. I think SoS should account for something. In order to be the best, you have to beat the best.

I mean hey, let's leave the SEC and join the Sunbelt conference. UT could make the playoffs every year.

12 teams is too many. The gap in college football between 1 and 12 is just way too extreme. It's almost a safety issue. Really there are maybe 6-7 elite teams every year and then just everyone else. The CFP should be reserved for the elite of the elite, not just some team showing up hoping to pull an "any given Saturday" upset. Maybe that happens and 12 beats out 5 in the first round. What's the likelyhood that they're going to get all the way to the Final? It's just adding too many unimportant playoff games in an effort to make more money, increase broadcasting and news coverage revenues.

If they change it from a 12 teams playoff format to a 156 teams playoff, UT might have a chance.....

Couldnt disagree more.

Again because not every conference is equal...if someone finishes 2nd or 3rd in the SEC, they are likely still better than 95% of the other conference champs.

Reactions: Boca Vol
If we really want to solve college football, we have to eliminate the regional conference model. The only real way to solve this is to eliminate "regional" conferences and open the nation up to a conference system similar to European soccer. Top 2 teams in any conference move up to the higher league. Bottom two teams move down a league for next year. COVID showed us that scheduling can be worked out in less than a year, so it IS possible to arrange. The "highest" league champion is the National Champion.

Why I might support this - you'd have elite vs. elite all season long with some of the most competetive games week in and week out. No cupcakes or grossly overmatched games.
Why I don't support this - would eliminate a lot of tradition and rivalries that have been active in college football for (in some cases) over a century.

If we really want to solve college football, we have to eliminate the regional conference model. The only real way to solve this is to eliminate "regional" conferences and open the nation up to a conference system similar to European soccer. Top 2 teams in any conference move up to the higher league. Bottom two teams move down a league for next year. COVID showed us that scheduling can be worked out in less than a year, so it IS possible to arrange. The "highest" league champion is the National Champion.

Why I don't support this - would eliminate a lot of tradition and rivalries that have been active in college football for (in some cases) over a century.

But..............Nobody cares about history and tradition

So superbowl winners that didn't win their division aren't real champions?
Exactly

Couldnt have given a bettwr example

I quit watching MLB when they introduced the wild card game.

Those are nothing but money makers for the leagues. They should have zero to do with championships

Maybe that 8 win was from a tougher divison or conference .

They won their tougher conference while the other team finished 2nd.

Woohoo...we finished second in our division..but we are the best in the nation..BS

Again because not every conference is equal...if someone finishes 2nd or 3rd in the SEC, they are likely still better than 95% of the other conference champs.

Yeah

And the team that finished first ahead of them has already proven they are better than them. So the 2nd place team cant honestly say the were the best in the nation
Devaluing the season is saying...yeah i k ow you werent as good as that other tema all year...BUT lets see if you can win this tournament.

VN Store

Back