Wisconsin Not Allowing Seniors to Return

Probably_in_Class

Wisconsin: No extra spring season for our seniors

This is definitely a complex issue, but I know, personally, I'd be embarrassed, if UT turned its back on seniors like this. There's not a simple solution, but Wisconsin seems to not even be willing to try. On the other hand:

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said Friday that 31 of 70 spring sports seniors are choosing to return in 2021. This equates to 14.28 scholarships, about $630,000 in scholarship costs and about $900,000 in total expenses.

"We felt it was important to provide those kids that opportunity," Smith said.

I really hope UT follows the lead of OSU and not Wisconsin. Thoughts?

Reactions: VolNExile
Wisconsin: No extra spring season for our seniors

This is definitely a complex issue, but I know, personally, I'd be embarrassed, if UT turned its back on seniors like this. There's not a simple solution, but Wisconsin seems to not even be willing to try. On the other hand:

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said Friday that 31 of 70 spring sports seniors are choosing to return in 2021. This equates to 14.28 scholarships, about $630,000 in scholarship costs and about $900,000 in total expenses.

"We felt it was important to provide those kids that opportunity," Smith said.

I really hope UT follows the lead of OSU and not Wisconsin. Thoughts?

A Thread of Positive Vol Thoughts

It’s not just revenue sports though right? It would be sports other than football and basketball? I mean I agree it’s the right thing to do but the cost could get high for a lot of schools. And I’d love to know how the numbers are going to work with incoming freshmen as well. Lord forbid this drags out longer what do you do if you have multiple classes delayed?

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I'm neither for or against the idea of granting seniors another year. I dont thing theres a way to do it to benefit everyone. Granting seniors another year has a spiral affect on the next few classes that follow. What about the underclassmen that will miss out on playing time? I didnt play sports in college, but being one of the high school senior leaders was cool. The college juniors won't have that unless they are granted another year. Then it affects another class...where does it end? What about high school seniors? Nothing extra for them. What about the HS seniors that were poised to shine and earn college sscholarships? They may miss out on the opportunity to play sports in college. Just saying that once you start manipulating the situation to make it better for some, it negatively affects others. This sucks for everybody... The seniors deserve their senior year, but so do the classes that follow. No right or wrong way to do it going forward. This is uncharted territory.

The real explanation is a few paragraphs into the story:

"Wisconsin has projected a revenue shortfall of more than $4 million because of the cancellation of the NCAA basketball tournaments and championship events in other spring sports."

For all of Alveraz's statements about the reason is it's not being fair to the incoming class, looks like it's more financial.

VN Store

Back