Winning Requires Momentum -- How does CJP Get Us Some?

WiseOlVol

I flew to LA for the 2008 opener v UCLA at the Rose Bowl.
A superior Vol team was sleepwalking.
As soon as we did something good, we gave it right back.
12 years later, we still haven't shown the ability to create and maintain momentum.
[Still don't know how we won at Auburn last year.]

Is the Tennessee football program such a country club that the kids don't leave it on the field as in Vol eras gone by?
Do we need full-time psychological therapists on staff?
What would Bear Bryant do?

I NEED to "get some"...

Meanwhile...don't you pay attention...we ARE...

TrumpWinning-1.jpg

Reactions: GoBigOrange2008
Win big early in the season!

Pore the coal on early and often!

Don’t beat em 49 to nothing if you can beat em 50 to nothing!

THAT will build momentum!

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Expectations. From the fans to the boosters to the staff to the AD to the janitor... to the players.

I played in a really good HS football program many years back. I was on the first state championship team in school history. The school had hired a brash young coach. I don't think it was intentional on their part but he expected to win. I think they were just filling a position and he applied... he may not have had a lot of competition.

He expected the school and administration to support winning. He didn't take no for an answer. He expected his players to toe the line on discipline... and to win. In three years, we won that first state title. In his next 18 years, he won 7 or 8 more. For much of that time the school was playing in a class above its enrollment. We routinely thumped teams with twice our enrollment.

Cool story... I know. But the point is before all the mechanical, physical things you do to win... you cultivate a mindset. That mindset has to become an all pervading culture. It is hard to describe but you never forget it if you've ever experienced it. It isn't delusional pride... but you have a feeling of near invincibility and unshakable confidence not in yourself but your team. You have a level of commitment where you feel responsible for things without being directed.

Bama has that right now as does Clemson. It requires a great coach but goes way beyond one person.

Agree... the expectation to win has gone by the wayside as long as the admin is getting their $$$. We are an irrationally supportive fanbase...as we have continued to spend millions on our Vols despite the continued middle finger from the athletic department. I fear that until we, the fanbase demand better, it will not improve. $$$ is the only thing that matters these days.

Reactions: 08Vol
I flew to LA for the 2008 opener v UCLA at the Rose Bowl.
A superior Vol team was sleepwalking.
As soon as we did something good, we gave it right back.
12 years later, we still haven't shown the ability to create and maintain momentum.
[Still don't know how we won at Auburn last year.]

Is the Tennessee football program such a country club that the kids don't leave it on the field as in Vol eras gone by?
Do we need full-time psychological therapists on staff?
What would Bear Bryant do?
You mean what would Nick Saban do? He has already surpassed the bear.

You have to expect to win. If you do that you play above your talents. And win games your not supposed to then you win the ones you are supposed to.

Reactions: Volatility
Coach Pruitt and staff can create momentum by teaching these young men to go out and smash mouths and never stop and feel there was more where that came from when the game is over.

The player have to want it more than anybody else. The administration isn't going to see the field anytime soon. The coaches have to put the mindset into the team and the team had to buy in 100%. The fans can't b1tch their way to victory or else we would have been national champions for 10 years running.

Win big early in the season!

Pore the coal on early and often!

Don’t beat em 49 to nothing if you can beat em 50 to nothing!

THAT will build momentum!
If you can hang 77 on a cupcake, do it. Let everyone play and tell them if they don't play like their life depended on it in the last two minutes of a 70 point rout that they would run steps until they passed out. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY to build Mo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 08Vol and Alto1
Expectations. From the fans to the boosters to the staff to the AD to the janitor... to the players.

I played in a really good HS football program many years back. I was on the first state championship team in school history. The school had hired a brash young coach. I don't think it was intentional on their part but he expected to win. I think they were just filling a position and he applied... he may not have had a lot of competition.

He expected the school and administration to support winning. He didn't take no for an answer. He expected his players to toe the line on discipline... and to win. In three years, we won that first state title. In his next 18 years, he won 7 or 8 more. For much of that time the school was playing in a class above its enrollment. We routinely thumped teams with twice our enrollment.

Cool story... I know. But the point is before all the mechanical, physical things you do to win... you cultivate a mindset. That mindset has to become an all pervading culture. It is hard to describe but you never forget it if you've ever experienced it. It isn't delusional pride... but you have a feeling of near invincibility and unshakable confidence not in yourself but your team. You have a level of commitment where you feel responsible for things without being directed.

Bama has that right now as does Clemson. It requires a great coach but goes way beyond one person.
Similar background....we won our first two. Hell, I didn't even play that much. But, when I and the other smaller guys got to play, we played big, we played hard and we played to score just as much as the 1's and 2's. If your bench guys aren't hungry, the 1's and 2's won't be hungry because you aren't snapping at their heels.

Is that right? How does that work? I mean how does one go about holding one of these fans accountable?
Obviously, I'm talking about Volnation. High expectations aren't allowed. It is what it is at any given point in the season. All is always well, right on track, part of the plan. No opinions otherwise are tolerated. (See last 12 years)

Obviously, I'm talking about Volnation. High expectations aren't allowed. It is what it is at any given point in the season. All is always well, right on track, part of the plan. No opinions otherwise are tolerated. (See last 12 years)

I see. Freak oughta sticky that.

The thing for me about our program was, back in the day, even when we were losing, even at the end of the game, I always thought there was a way we were going to pull it out in the end. Even when we were down to Nebraska in the Orange bowl by three touchdowns, I had a feeling Manning was going to bring us back.

VN Store

Back