Willie Mo on his way

WM didn't do bad during his time here. Considering the crap sandwich we got from our DB gurus the last couple of years, I'll take it. I always disliked the 7 yard cushions we gave receivers on 3rd and 5 though.

You guys do realize that coaching can't overcome the slow a$$ DB's we had back then. The ones with any speed at all turned out pretty good.
Of coarse we don't.
We know a good coach can make a player faster and more athletic.
We know it is always the coaches at fault when a Vol does not become a first round draft choice.
Read more posts, try to keep up.

Reactions: bigl3327
As long as he’s not coordinator I’m good.
This is going to sound odd... but the D improved significantly when Martinez was part of the staff. From the Sunseri disaster of allowing 36 ppg... UT improved to 29 ppg to 27 ppg to 20 ppg with Martinez and Jancek. Butch never had the "best staff in America"... but that staff was the best one he was able to assemble.

After reading his bio, this seems like a Good Chemistry hire. He's worked for Heupal and thus knows what to expect offensively; has worked with Garner for 9 years (!); has been a DC at a high level; and has put position players into the NFL. Actually coached Banks as a player. Altogether, seems like a hire that's meant to provide benefit in a buch of areas, both football and relationships. Next to that, the "Chevy vs. Ford" complaints about CB head turn technique seem...trivial.

I also think this hire makes Steele obsolete. Too much overlap.

Last edited:
Isn't this the same DB coach that didn't instruct our corners to, you know, turn and find the ball?

I'm happy with him as a DB coach. He can develop players. He can recruit. He will not be running the defense. I can think of a lot worse.

The good news is, it can't really be any worse than having the DB guru Pruitt here. If he get them to turn and look for the ball in year 1, I'll take it.

Reactions: onevol74
The good news is, it can't really be any worse than having the DB guru Pruitt here. If he get them to turn and look for the ball in year 1, I'll take it.

Martinez DB's at UCF were actually worse than Pruitt's at Tennessee.

"The UCF pass defense has made major strides in Willie Martinez’s two seasons as the Knights’ secondary coach and assistant head coach" from UCF website. But ok. So he was only responsible for having his safeties burned???? excellent

I changed my mind.. I'm all for CWM coming back to Tennessee..

Over the last 17 seasons (including 2019), Martinez has mentored 19 all-conference selections, seven All-America performers and 16 NFL Draft picks. Fourteen players he coached were on NFL rosters in 2016. At Tennessee, his defensive backs averaged more than 13 interceptions per season, including the 2014 team that ranked No. 15 in the nation with 16 picks.

During his two seasons at Oklahoma, Martinez helped the Sooners to a 23-5 record and a Big 12 Conference title. During his tenure at Georgia, Martinez helped the Bulldogs to 90 victories, two Southeastern Conference titles, three division crowns, seven bowl victories and six top-10 finishes. During the 2000 season, Martinez led a Central Michigan secondary that paced the nation in pass defense.

Maybe he wasn't allowed enough input when he was here last time. He's part.of whole new staff.now.and maybe he'll be able to do what he wants to improve play. Or maybe not.

After reading his bio, this seems like a Good Chemistry hire. He's worked for Heupal and thus knows what to expect offensively; has worked with Garner for 9 years (!); has been a DC at a high level; and has put position players into the NFL. Actually coached Banks as a player. Altogether, seems like a hire that's meant to provide benefit in a buch of areas, both football and relationships. Next to that, the "Chevy vs. Ford" complaints about CB head turn technique seem...trivial.

I also think this hire makes Steele obsolete. Too much overlap.
How so? Steele is a LB coach. We don’t have a LB coach.

VN Store

Back