Willie Mack gave Lyles $1,500 for a...

ESPN ticker says USC denied to comment but Tennessee says, "we believe, as does conference officials that this matter is not subject to the repeat offender provision."
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I thought this last paragraph was interesting:

Lyles said Tennessee reimbursing a third party for the cost of an unofficial recruiting visit is clearly against NCAA rules. But the scout said the practice isn’t uncommon in college football. Lyles said coaches often seek someone with the financial means to pay the initial cost of the trip. He declined to cite other schools that engaged in the practice or detail any of his other testimony to NCAA investigators.

Why would he single us out?

Hamilton required the staff to remain or they had to pay their buyout. Garza wasn't leaving until the new coach was hired and fired him. Garza was going to USC all along he was just waiting so he wouldn't have to pay.

If Dooley knew what you are suggesting and we didn't own up to it during the previous encounter with NCAA and now they find it and other things that we "might have known", we could get hit really, really hard.

I don't think we knew about this but bad news if we did and didn't own up to it,.

BS. Not going to happen.

having an out-of-control teenager. You don't know what the heck he is going to do next. Dont know when you are going to get the call to pick him up at the police station. Just when you think everything is over, here it comes again.

The $1500 was for plane tickets for Seastrunk and his mother so out of control parents too. I'm sure she was aware taking money from a coach was illegal.

The $1500 was for plane tickets for Seastrunk and his mother so out of control parents too. I'm sure she was aware taking money from a coach was illegal.

His mother didn't buy the tickets. Lyles did, he charged them to his personal credit card. Garza then reimbursed him:

“[Garza called] and he says ‘Hey, how are you doing. I’m Coach Garza. I recruit the state of Texas for Tennessee. We need to talk about Lache Seastrunk getting here on an unofficial visit,’” Lyles said. “And I said ‘OK.’ I told them that I would let Evelyn [Seastrunk] know. When I told her about it, she said ‘That’s cool.’”

Lyles said he worked with the Seastrunks and Garza to find an agreeable date. He bought the tickets through Expedia, charging $1,446.80 to his Visa debit card. He said the price was high because it was a last-minute fare, due to uncertainty over the travel availability of the Seastrunks. The tickets were purchased June 19 for a June 20 departure.

After the visit, Lyles said Garza called to discuss reimbursement.

“Coach Garza said, ‘How do you want me to give the money to you,’” Lyles said. “I said, ‘You can send it Western Union or MoneyGram.’ … I had already come out of my pocket for over $1,400 for plane tickets.”

On July 5, his money came in. The MoneyGram was sent from a location in Lancaster, Texas, a Dallas suburb. Lyles said he didn’t know why it came from Lancaster. Garza is a native Texan who played at the University of Texas from 1988-92 and as a coach has actively recruited the state for years.

Lyles acknowledged he kept the remaining $53.20.

His mother didn't buy the tickets. Lyles did, he charged them to his personal credit card. Garza then reimbursed him.

I know she didn't buy the ticket. Read my post more carefully. Was saying the money given by coaches to Lyles wasn't just for him but for his mom too.

Last edited:
I know she didn't buy the ticket. Read my post more carefully. Was saying the money given by coaches to Lyles wasn't just for him buy for his mom too.

How would she know how it was handled? Lyles probably just told her that UT wants him to visit and when can he come (just like he stated in the article). He was in charge of Seastrunk's recruiting, not his mother. He handled all the transactions between the schools and Seastrunk.

I see what you are saying...but you can't put all of the blame on the parent here. No one knows what Lyles told her he may have explained to her that it's fine for a school to pay for him to come visit before his senior year. Obviously, some blame lies on her as she should have educated herself more on correct recruiting rules as should any parent that their son is an elite talent in any sport.

Last edited:
How would she know how it was handled? Lyles probably just told her that UT wants him to visit and when can he come (just like he stated in the article). He was in charge of Seastrunk's recruiting, not his mother. He handled all the transactions between the schools and Seastrunk.

It's JMO, I don't know that she knew and you don't know that she didn't.

Looks like a lot of money was spent by several different schools/coaches for this overrated player. At this point he is looking like a bust. If he has done anything at the collegiate level I haven't seen it.

Seriously just hope this stuff will go away...I am just glad Bryce Brown's handler isn't the one that is coming clean to the whole world.

Reactions: 1 person
How exactly do official visits work.....the schools funds the trip for the player? family(parent(s)) ....if Lyles was essentially working as a "handler" what makes this illegal? Was it not technically an official visit and if not isn't that just a technicality?

I wouldn't worry too much about this. There are several schools that had much shadier dealings with Lyles. Garza may get a show cause, but I doubt Tennessee gets anything.

On a related note, how can there be any Kiffin defenders left?

Oh yeah, lunatic fringe.

How exactly do official visits work.....the schools funds the trip for the player? family(parent(s)) ....if Lyles was essentially working as a "handler" what makes this illegal? Was it not technically an official visit and if not isn't that just a technicality?

For an "Official Visit" to be official the University has to register the player for a visit with the NCAA Clearinghouse and list the costs of the visit and the official length of stay. Only then is it permissable for a school to pay for a visit.

It would be good if we could go back and say "oh this was Lache's official visit to UT" but that's just not the way it works.

Last edited:
1. Probation violation can't occur if the alleged incident occurred before the probation began
2. The accusation that we will be repeat violators is nonsense... again, this happened at the same time as the previous investigated incident
3. Willie lyles said the ncaa was already aware
4. Lache didn't come here. That matters
5. Garza and his crew are gone. That matters in this circumstance, since we avoided chargeable before on account of previous allegations being linked to Kiffin and not to Tennessee
6. Mike Hamilton, the supposed failure to monitor man, was fired. Didn't resign... didn't leave... was fired.
7.1400 means nothing compared to what the ncaa is dealing with in other places
8. Lyles told them everything... and this is all they got from him. It's nothing.
9. And finally, our AD isn't going to take this crap. This will be forgotten soon.

SIAP ... from a poster on TOS

If it was an official visit then yes, they could reimburse the Seastrunks for the visit. However, you cannot make it an official visit unless the recruit has completed his first day of school his senior year. Lache had just completed his Junior year when this happened and not started his senior year yet and thus would have to pay for his visit out of pocket and not receive any reimbursement from UT or any other school. That is the illegal part.

It looks like the NCAA knew about this before they issued their final ruling in September, so they must not have thought much about it then. Just don't see this blowing back on the school.

On a related note, how can there be any Kiffin defenders left?

Oh yeah, lunatic fringe.

No kidding. The Walking Case Of Genital Herpes is the most overhyped d-bag I have ever witnessed.

He gets recruits, yes, but at what price? He clearly does not care about the rules. Haden will figure this out (if he already hasn't) and send him packing at the first opportunity.

And, more importantly, he is not a very good coach. He and his 5-start band of athletes just got ripped by the perennial power Arizona State. Bring to mind the Ole Miss game of a few years ago, doesn't it?

Okay, sheep, let the excuses begin....

On another note, I gave Hamilton the benefit of the doubt for awhile, but is there any doubt that he has to be one of the worst ADs in the history of college sports? Think about where the football program was when he took over and where it ended.

Then, look at his utter incompetence in controlling his coaches over the years. The level of incompetence is so pathetic it is almost criminal.

Why is nobody mentioning Garza as an issue. It seems to me that he's the one who made the payment.
:ermm:

I guess the crux will be where Garza got the money.

Yes, this is an easy one. Assistant coaches don't make enough money to go throwing around $1500 at the drop of a hat. This was the Kiffin way, and the buck, or should I say bucks, should stop there. You can't keep blaming the assistants (Reaves, Garza, ____, etc.) and let the head guy skate.

VN Store

Back