Willie Mack gave Lyles $1,500 for a...

I don't believe we'll get anything additional other than a few moments of overblown coverage until another story pops up. Throughout our last investigation that recently concluded we showed that we did all we could to monitor that rogue group of coaches.

I know there is no rhyme or reason to what the NCAA does with regards to punishments but at some point don't they have to start going after coaches moreso than the schools? I mean if we are really being honest, it is not that hard for a coach to act on their own and the school not know about it.

Dear ESPN and NCAA, please, please, pretty please with a cherry on top, don't overreact and punish our program for the past transgressions of a staff that didn't have our best intentions in mind. We have truly suffered enough as a university and fan base. Maybe, just this once, could you go after the person and people responsible for this? Heck, I don't even know the seastrunk kid. Maybe its time mr. Kiffin gets what's coming to him for once, and im not talking about high profile coaching jobs that he has yet to earn. Im not one for groveling but recruiting is hard enough without dealing with news like this. Punish Kiffin, not the kids or coaches who are dedicated to doing it right. Ill add whip cream if it helps! Thanks, derek Dooley, head coach
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Thank God that Ohio St, Miami, UNC, and potentially Oregon, Auburn, and LSU are in a world of **** right now. If we were the only ones getting in trouble recently, then we would have been under the hammer. Luckily there are many teams doing much worse stuff than we did, or at least stuff that's public knowledge.

you forgot to mention Spurriers upcoming visit to the NCAAIC in December. Hope his QB coach don't piss in a corner during the inquisition.

Was Kiffin actually trying to destroy UT? I mean, seriously. How can you be this stupid? It's like he actually tried to ensure UT would get the hammer. One more year here, there's no telling what would have gone down.

Doesn't the article seem to indicate that Lyles had informed the NCAA of the issue before sanctions were handed down?

Edit: Actually says Lyles talked to the NCAA a week after the sanctions were handed down.

Right, the meeting was after the NCAA accepted the self imposed sanctions. However, these two paragraphs confuse me a bit, wish it went into more detail. Is he saying the NCAA already knew about the plane tickets? It never says when Seastrunk talked with the NCAA, was it before they talked with Lyles? It sounds more like they were talking to him about multiple schools and this was just one of the issues, it wasn't the reason for the meeting. To me it sounds like the NCAA already knew about it, just got some details from him, and nothing will come of it as far as sanctions. However, it hurts in recruiting until it is cleared up, good or bad.

Lyles said he only agreed to speak to NCAA investigators if they guaranteed Seastrunk immunity from any penalties associated with this incident. Lyles said immunity was granted on the condition that both he and Seastrunk were completely honest and forthcoming (Lyles said Seastrunk has already spoken to the NCAA). He said the NCAA was already investigating Tennessee’s recruiting practices.

“I wanted to make sure Lache would be fine, this isn’t about him,” said Lyles, who maintains a close relationship with the player. “It’s the NCAA’s rules and the schools not following them. During our meeting it became clear the NCAA already had knowledge of what was going on at Tennessee.”

are all these posts about this being nothing and no new penalties coming from it, basically our version of the denial that we joke about when other schools are sticking their toe in hot water?

It's time to abolish the ncaa and start paying players on a level commensurate with their contribution to one of the greatest money-making industries in America - college sports. If everyone's getting paid, then there'll be no more controversy over only a select few getting money or extra benefits.

how much would you pay a player? would they all be paid the same ? i think it would be the fox in the hen house and how would the smaller schools pay up? the money comes and goes,but theirs not many that show a plus on the money side, it will be a total killing of sports in college,for a money game,i can watch the NFL,not bashing your opinion ,but i think it would be a terrible thing

Reactions: 3 people
I know that its a beaten horse but these guys are STUDENT athletes first and foremost. Granted College sports, especially football and basketball have become the minor leagues perspectively but they are still in college. Governmentmule asks a valid question...how would smaller schools pay up? Also wouldnt you have to have a NCAAPA then too to represent the athletes? They get paid its called education.

This will effect us. Schools will use it as more negative recruitment beginning immediately until the situation is resolved. Unbelievable, I mean the bad news really doesn't stop.

"We are aware of the situation as is the conference office," Tennessee spokesman Jimmy Stanton told the website. "We've been verbally contacted by the NCAA enforcement staff regarding a recruiting issue in 2009 related to the former coaching staff and a student-athlete who never attended Tennessee.
We do not need another investigation and certainly no more punishment but we will probably get both. If Garza paid for the tickets they won't just let it slide.

The NCAA is trying to fry Kiffin. Unfortunately as long as the kids he recruited are still in college Tennessee's name still has the chance of being brought up in violations. However, if Garza was brought up for paying $1500 in plane tickets what did Oregon pay to get him to commit there? I guess Nike has a lot more than $1500 to offer and i feel that is the story here.

Did this guy even have a UT offer? Rivals doesnt even list Vols as a choice. Reminds me of the Cam rumor when they said we were tied up with Auburn and Miss. St. and Cam didnt even have an offer to UT.

Yeah. Forgot that lane, the brilliant talent scount, wanted Simms over Newton.

:furious3: Well this is just great! I bet the :censored: bammer fans will be giving me hell at work starting today. Sometimes I hate living in alabama.

If I remember correctly Garza was on staff under Dooley for a week or two before he got the call from USC. I wonder if Dooley gave him the boot because he found out some of this and he went to USC after Dooley got rid of him. Maybe the NCAA already knew about this deal during the previous investigation if that was the case. Lyles just appeared out of nowhere 6 or so months ago. Maybe the NCAA learned of him through their investigation of us. Just a thought.

Oh really..

:unsure:

"We are aware of the situation as is the conference office," Tennessee associate athletic director for communications Jimmy Stanton said in a university statement. “We’ve been verbally contacted by the NCAA enforcement staff regarding a recruiting issue in 2009 related to the former coaching staff and a student-athlete who never attended Tennessee.”

"We believe, as does the conference office, that this matter is not subject to the repeat offender provision."

having an out-of-control teenager. You don't know what the heck he is going to do next. Dont know when you are going to get the call to pick him up at the police station. Just when you think everything is over, here it comes again.

If I remember correctly Garza was on staff under Dooley for a week or two before he got the call from USC. I wonder if Dooley gave him the boot because he found out some of this and he went to USC after Dooley got rid of him. Maybe the NCAA already knew about this deal during the previous investigation if that was the case. Lyles just appeared out of nowhere 6 or so months ago. Maybe the NCAA learned of him through their investigation of us. Just a thought.

Hamilton required the staff to remain or they had to pay their buyout. Garza wasn't leaving until the new coach was hired and fired him. Garza was going to USC all along he was just waiting so he wouldn't have to pay.

If Dooley knew what you are suggesting and we didn't own up to it during the previous encounter with NCAA and now they find it and other things that we "might have known", we could get hit really, really hard.

I don't think we knew about this but bad news if we did and didn't own up to it,.

having an out-of-control teenager. You don't know what the heck he is going to do next. Dont know when you are going to get the call to pick him up at the police station. Just when you think everything is over, here it comes again.

where were the parents?

VN Store

Back