Will we still have a life after Covid?

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
What will the world be like post pandemic?
What do you all think?

Don’t forget the roaring 20’s followed the 1918 pandemic.
DB428F35-6E22-4E57-ADF8-C0062284F7EA.jpeg

The Bible thumpers were in control after the earlier pandemic and actually got the 18th Amendment pushed through in 1919. After this pandemic we’re close to rolling out the legalized reefers stores everywhere.

Now they are talking about a new strain that is immunization resistant............*ssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh*

Now they are talking about a new strain that is immunization resistant............*ssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh*

I’m not certain but I think that might be fairly routine. Maybe a poster with professional knowledge can chime in. But the news I’ve seen today seems to be pushing for a bit of a panic.

The new strain in Britain spreads more easily, but it’s not more resistant to the vaccines or more severe/ lethal. Don’t know if that’s the same one.

I hope that is the case. The NY governor was acting like it was bubonic hemorrhagic influenza easily transmitted by a sidelong glance at fifty yards

Pretty wild even in 1918 people knew it was smart to wear a mask, here we are over 100 years later and people still refuse to use them correctly.
A third of the world got the Spanish flu and 3% of the entire world died. If you want to point to masks working, that's not the pandemic to use.

It also absolutely wrecked young people, which is why it was so bad.

Using 1918 as a comparison to now screeching about MUH MASKS is standard stupidity.
And they didn’t have antivirals, they didn’t have antibiotics to cover secondary bacterial infections, and they didn’t have ventilators.

What they did have were masks, and where they were worn, there was less disease and death.

And they didn’t have antivirals, they didn’t have antibiotics to cover secondary bacterial infections, and they didn’t have ventilators.

What they did have were masks, and where they were worn, there was less disease and death.
Demonstrably false. Masks had zero effect on the spread of the illness in 1918, and mask usage is proving to have negligible effect even now. A simple Google search will give you articles like the below, as well as pieces from rags like NYT and Washington Post if that's more your style.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20200508.769108/full/

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
Demonstrably false. Masks had zero effect on the spread of the illness in 1918, and mask usage is proving to have negligible effect even now. A simple Google search will give you articles like the below, as well as pieces from rags like NYT and Washington Post if that's more your style.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20200508.769108/full/
Ah, I was thinking of this National Geographic report on the benefits of social distancing. I doubt that the simple cloth masks of the time were very effective.

We were masks (paper disposable masks.) If physicians, including family members, wear them, so will I. PROPERLY WORN is the trick. Bandannas, gaiters, paper masks worn day after day, people touching their masks - yeah, they aren’t as effective as they could be.

How some cities ‘flattened the curve’ during the 1918 flu pandemic

Reactions: Vjcvette

Wearing a cloth rag like those women are doing (and similar to a gaiter or bandanna people are wearing now) is shown to actually make things worse. If you're infected the large holes in the fabric help to spatter large droplets into much smaller ones.

Wearing a cloth rag like those women are doing (and similar to a gaiter or bandanna people are wearing now) is shown to actually make things worse. If you're infected the large holes in the fabric help to spatter large droplets into much smaller ones.
Right, as I added above. If you’re going to do it, do it right.

(If you’re not going to do it, please stay away from me and mine. 🙂)

^^^ the generic “you”

Reactions: Vjcvette
I watched a special on covid last night, and they showed the masks that nurses wore. They were made out of gauze which was folded to be four layers thick. Horrible. On top of that nurses wore them to cover their mouths, but just under the nose.
I can't think of a worse material.

It also absolutely wrecked young people, which is why it was so bad.
You know, this is kind of fascinating to me. They know now that the "spanish flu" killed the young because the old were already immune. H1 flu had gone around in 1889, and people born before that were likely immune. Most places you'll find "age 40" cutoff was noticed by everyone at the time. Today, people born before 1957 are also immune to H1N1. They discovered that during the 2009 H1N1 epidemic. Who knew you could be immune to flu for 50 or 60 years? I didn't find this out until covid made me try to remember the 2009 one.

Anyway, I think after the vaccinations we will have to have a moment where we say "we're going to act normal" and if you are a person of responsibility, you'll have to set that date over your kingdom based on whatever measures you decide. It's been especially weird for manufacturers. If you work, you have to follow their rules, and so there will be a point where they say "okay stop". Socially, people have certain things they want to get back to normal. They may have some things that they don't, I don't know. Lots of people have experimented with new things and some may stick. A lot of people want to work from home forever.

If I do not die from covid, one of the last victims stuck in some makeshift area at the end of a hallway in an overcrowded hospital with a bleary, overworked staff trying to make do without proper equipment or supplies, I will live life to the fullest, including meeting up with a few VN pals.

Reactions: oz615 and VolNExile
Because they’ve been so effective
The majority of people don't use them correctly. Wearing it below your nose like 70% of people do is useless. I have also lost count of people I've witnessed pull their mask down, cough in their hand, then pull their mask back up.

VN Store

Back