Will UT ever be a basketball school?

The CTE epidemic will erode footballs popularity over time, portentialy signicantly within 10 years based on sharply dropping participation rates in youth football. Basketball seems like the natural sport to take footballs place unless the growth in soccer accelerates further. So yes, UT will be a basketball school or, worse, Neyland will be a soccer/ touch football stadium
Not in your lifetime.

Reactions: TenUhSee
Lots of interesting topics touched on here. Interest in football is declining amongst this generation. Even Alabama is seeing fewer students attending games. Overall attendance at the Power 5 schools are down. I go to a lot of MTSU games since I live close and their student turn out is embarrassing for all sports. Someone mentioned big screen Tv's, cost to travel etc. I think that is certainly part of it but my cousins at UT now do not have the interest in football, or basketball for that matter, that I had when I was there. Lots of other ways to be entertained I guess.
I agree that CTE is going to have a dramatic impact on footballs success moving forward. I am steering my son away from playing football. Even more important will be the liability schools will eventually have to address when kids get seriously injured. High schools and small colleges will have to take a hard look at revenue versus risk. There will be high school football in Texas for a long time and the SEC will continue to play football but for other parts of the country, basketball, soccer, Lacross will all eat into what was footballs piece of the pie.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
NO WAY. BB is #1 in KY and will always be. I lived there, and the passion for BB rivals Bama's for football.
Oh ok. I won't pretend to know more than I do. My statement was more of an assumption based on the local Kentucky crazies I speak with. Which is maybe 5-6 people. :)

Our football team has been down for more than 10 years. Our basketball team is ranked #1. We are all excited. However, the number of basketball posts are still only 10 % if the football posts. If for some reason football continues to spiral downward will the gap between football and basketball narrow? Or will basketball always be a casual pastime while we wait for football regardless of how bad we are at football?

If Summit Arena can be enlarged to say... 90,000, then maybe, juuuuuust maybe!

Vols volleyball. Get behind the program. We want a dynasty. We want every female volleyball player in the US to aspire to be a Tennessee Volunteer. We want the greatest international teens yearning to be accepted to UT. We want every other NCAA program to have the pick of our leavings. We want every US Olympic team to be majority orange & white. We want the Dutch to take vacations in America to see Tennessee play in volleyball tournaments. We want sell outs every game and a waiting list for season tickets. We want the Big Orange Caravan for Vols Volleyball to be as appreciated by tournament hosts and other cities as we are for football. We want POTUSes to invite UT's volleyballers to the White House. We want Tennessee to raise volleyball consciousness in the US and the profile of our University internationally.

Only someone who's bullheaded and stuck in the past couldnt see that we're now a basketball school.

We're one of the top teams in the country in attendance,have an elite hall of famer for a head coach,are defending SEC champs,and currently ranked #1 on the country while our football program was turned down by the first 5 choices we had for a coach and are currently one of the worst programs in the SEC.

The basketball team also beat the #1 team in the country earlier this year.

When was the last time our football program beat a #1?

Could we have stayed within 40 of Clemson?
34A639CF-BFDB-4A1F-80EC-651CC5B58DAA.gif

Well I guess the Vandy basketball game is answering this question. Best team we have ever had still struggling to .500 teams.

It's not excusable but unlike football, basketball can be a very weird sport, pretty much every year the best teams in basketball will struggle on the road against a team they shouldn't. Hell Kansas literally just lost to a West Virginia team that is now 1-5 in conference play.

Only someone who's bullheaded and stuck in the past couldnt see that we're now a basketball school.

We're one of the top teams in the country in attendance,have an elite hall of famer for a head coach,are defending SEC champs,and currently ranked #1 on the country while our football program was turned down by the first 5 choices we had for a coach and are currently one of the worst programs in the SEC.

2 years of good, winning B-ball doesn't wipe away football's significance to UT. Only a millinial would think that.

Lol. Foolish beyond words. UT basketball has only been good a handful of times in the past what, 30 years? Can you honestly name any mens BB player that can be uttered in the same breath as guys like Reghie White, Dale Jones, Chuck Webb, Reggie Cob , Willie Gault, Peyton Manning, James Stewart, Travis Henry, Derek Barenett, Heath Shuler, Tee Martin, Al Wilson, Haynesworth, Henderson, Berry, Mayo, Grant, Graham, Bryson, Robinson, Holloway, Ellis, Price, Stallworth, Reeves Maybin, Sutton, Smith, Travis Stephens, Clausen, Ainge, Dobbs, Kamara, Malone, Morgan, Andy Kelly, Nash, Witten, Colquitt, Daniel or Evan Berry? No you cannot. Just stop with your nonsense. The BB team is playing good. But we are nowhere near a BB school.

Tell me, how many conference titles and NCs has the mens BB won since 1990?

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Dont think Im not as passionate about UT football as I am basketball because I am.

I just realize the total opposite ends of the spectrum the 2 programs are.

VN Store

Back