Will UT ever be a basketball school?

Dont think Im not as passionate about UT football as I am basketball because I am.

I just realize the total opposite ends of the spectrum the 2 programs are.
And it took you how long to come to that realization? Most of us have realized it and enjoyed the B-Ball train the last few years but can't wait every year for Football to start.

Good point. Mears had some really good teams in the 70s with the Ernie and Bernie show, etc. football was also in a bad place those years.

Yeah it was actually basketball bringing attention to Tennessee in the 70s. I think that then got the football started back with the hiring of Majors.

Our best season of all time and we still will be about 3rd in our own conference. I’d say we aren’t a baskeball school.

I believe Tennessee will always be competitive in basketball, but, being considered a "basketball school" won't come before
many years of many championships with many 20+ wins seasons. Most of us probably think of Tennessee as a "Football School"although lately, Tennessee is mostly a "Football School" in our dreams. Only time will tell!

Reactions: vettefool
Go to high school sports forums in KY and football vastly surpasses basketball posts and it isn’t even close.

I've just never been a basketball fan. Don't care we were number one this year. Never watched a game. Just can't get into it for some reason. I'm all about football. The wait to the start of the season is always painful as I can never find anything on TV to watch to pass the time. I do look forward to the NFL draft every year so there's that I guess.

Disappointing that we are losing now that we play some competition. Was just hoping to prove the critics wrong. They were right though. 19 wins were against weak competition.
The best the Tennessee men's basketball program can shoot for in my opinion is to make the NCAA Tournament every season. Tennessee isn't North Carolina,Duke or Kentucky and probably can't get to that level every season.

Reactions: CAVPUT and FLVOL_79
The best the Tennessee men's basketball program can shoot for in my opinion is to make the NCAA Tournament every season. Tennessee isn't North Carolina,Duke or Kentucky and probably can't get to that level every season.

Exactly. Until UT can start bringing in 4/5 star players regularly, we will have to accept making the NCAAT as our ceiling. If we couldn't win the SECT this year, I refuse to even consider the possibility going forward. And even this may be optimistic unless Barnes hits with all these project/developmental players he seems to prefer.

Proof is there that the switch has already occurred but there will always be football only fans. But, the fans who care about all UT sports are flocking to men’s bb by the droves. Fans want a winner, Barnes is a winner. He got fired at Tx bc he won in the regular season and choked in the tourney. I bet Tx fans wish they could have him back and Barnes has the team this year to make a run at the final 4.

Over 55,000 views on the UT/Ky thread, UT is a basketball school.

VN Store

Back