Will UT ever be a basketball school?

I agree. I think most schools have more football support than basketball. Appeals to more people. There are a lot of schools without great success in either sport. So by default schools tend to be “football schools”. And when schools have a lot of success in both sports, they’re still “football schools”. Basketball schools either don’t have a D1 football program or have a humongous disparity in success - Kansas, Duke, Kentucky. Just seems like a pointless designation. Nobody wants to be a “basketball school”. And I say that as someone who likes basketball better.
Definitely, and to your point about revenue, even Kentucky is a "football school." By a noticeable margin. Football brings in more money than basketball even at Kentucky. And waaaaaay more at Michigan St, another "basketball school." Even at Duke, basketball just brings in barely more money than football.

Duke's basketball program makes more money than every other Final Four school

The separator is mostly reputation and what "moves the needle" more than anything else. Despite football bringing in more money, Kentucky is going to spare no expense for its basketball program. They aren't going to spare no expense for something related to football. Duke definitely is not. That ultimately is what makes it a basketball school; they care more about it, and their identity as a school and athletic program is wrapped up more in it.

Bottom line, a school that is really good at football is going to be a "football school" even if it is also good at basketball. Michigan and Florida are great examples.

We should focus on basketball and try to become a men’s soccer dynasty. Get ahead of the curve before tackle football is outlawed.

Atlanta United is a great example of how fast it can take hold. Let’s embrace our futbol matches guys.

giphy.gif
I had rather watch corn hole. Soccer is one of the most boring sports to watch there is. In my opinion. I love to watch my daughter play and she is very good, but damn its boring.

Though I think we will remain a football school, football will have to adapt to new realities. These realities which I will share later will force changes in attendance which produce a good part of colleges/universities revenue. I dare say pro football as well. Which appears to be already happening. Fans buy tickets to be there, as well as food, beverages, and souvenir items. A major decline in attendances and its accompanying revenue generating aspects will make the sport unsustainable to operate especially large stadiums. We may see them downsized, replaced with smaller ones, or pressed into varied shared non-football uses. Some smaller or less financially stable schools may drop the sport altogether.

Why?
A variety of reasons. The sport is already in danger of being over-regulated with rules intended or claimed to protect the players. And in more cases, frivolous rules that just take the fun out of the sport.

Fan behavior is getting progressively worst. Verbal sparring is now evolving into fights. Some that are beyond ridiculous like Vols fans fighting each other at that Nebraska bowl game a few years back. But now we have conceal and carry mixed with doped up nuts, people who’re just plain nuts, and folks who just like killing. It’s only matter of time we have shootings at games just because someone looked at you the wrong way. Or some thrill kill nut job out to do just that. We already have had fans dying from fights at games, and confrontations at parking lots where the same has happened.

Terrorist acts whether domestic or foreign. It’s just a matter of time before some factions using drones to deliver a weapon package onto a crowd at a stadium. Whether one capable of firing a weapon or dropping a bio-weapon, explosive, corrosive or other threat. Or someone planting a bomb of some sort at a venue and activated by a timer or remote trigger device. It happens even once and fans are less likely to congregate at stadiums.

Large screen TVs with amazing clarity already have people forgoing gas costs, long drives, traffic hassles etc. So streamed games are going to become an even bigger option than now as colleges seek to offset revenue losses due to reduced attendance.

I know I’m painting a bleak picture but times have changed and sadly not for the better. Colleges/universities and pros will adapt because money remains a great motivator. So we will remain a football school in some form or another.

Last edited:
If football STILL sucks after everyone who remembers the NC year and basketball is still on top, then yes.

I'd literally trade our entire basketball program to have beat Florida or Alabama at Neyland last season. And I don't mean that as an insult to the basketball team. I just love our football more than is healthy

Reactions: illinoisvolfan1
I'd literally trade our entire basketball program to have beat Florida or Alabama at Neyland last season. And I don't mean that as an insult to the basketball team. I just love our football more than is healthy
I don’t see how your post would be an insult to the basketball team or what’s unhealthy about your love for the football team.

I’m just glad you didn’t say Vandy or SC.

I don’t see how your post would be an insult to the basketball team or what’s unhealthy about your love for the football team.

I’m just glad you didn’t say Vandy or SC.
Hahaha see my on a Saturday in the fall after one of our disasters and you'll see the unhealthy part

No we will never be a baskeball school. Football is king in the south. Even Kentucky would prefer to be better at football than basketball if they could.

I used to live in Lexington with those idiots and they would never let kyjelly become a football school. If that happened they would have to learn a whole new sport and I don't think they could handle that.

I used to live in Lexington with those idiots and they would never let kyjelly become a football school. If that happened they would have to learn a whole new sport and I don't think they could handle that.

Best point of the day. Guess I was wrong.

Only someone who's bullheaded and stuck in the past couldnt see that we're now a basketball school.

We're one of the top teams in the country in attendance,have an elite hall of famer for a head coach,are defending SEC champs,and currently ranked #1 on the country while our football program was turned down by the first 5 choices we had for a coach and are currently one of the worst programs in the SEC.

The basketball team also beat the #1 team in the country earlier this year.

When was the last time our football program beat a #1?

Could we have stayed within 40 of Clemson?

Only someone who's bullheaded and stuck in the past couldnt see that we're now a basketball school.

We're one of the top teams in the country in attendance,have an elite hall of famer for a head coach,are defending SEC champs,and currently ranked #1 on the country while our football program was turned down by the first 5 choices we had for a coach and are currently one of the worst programs in the SEC.

The basketball team also beat the #1 team in the country earlier this year.

When was the last time our football program beat a #1?

Could we have stayed within 40 of Clemson?

I didn’t know Schiano turned us down.

Was it Auburn 1985?

Yes, we could have stayed within 40 of Clemson.

If you asked 20 Kentucky fans if they would rather win 5 National Championships in football or basketball then I think most of them would say football. Would be an interesting survey nonetheless.
Or how would they feel if they never won another National Championship in basketball verses a Natty? I would say the glass is half full or half empty. Depends on how you ask the question.

We should continue to support football and basketball. Football will continue to be the top revenue sport for the next 20 years. The CTE thing is coming and other sports will become significant in generating revenue. Basketball will be #2. Based on the rest of the world futbol is #3. I believe baseball is dying. We should start a soccer program and figure out how to build facilities that can be utilized for multiple sports.

I do know that during that era that Kentucky fans had a special hatred for anything in Tennessee

Or how would they feel if they never won another National Championship in basketball verses a Natty? I would say the glass is half full or half empty. Depends on how you ask the question.
Well same could go for us. Would you take a national championship in baskeball this year if it meant our football team never wins one in football again?

We've won more SEC titles in basketball than football but I am sure most would say were a football school because of the National Championships.

No we will never be a baskeball school. Football is king in the south. Even Kentucky would prefer to be better at football than basketball if they could.
NO WAY. BB is #1 in KY and will always be. I lived there, and the passion for BB rivals Bama's for football.

VN Store

Back