Will There Be Any Gimmicks Used On The Sidelines?

Here is one gimmick; Anytime our offense is calling audibles, and the band is playing Rocky Top so the receivers can't hear the signals, spike the drum major.

@$$ chewings and benching for blown assignments, appropriate praise for jobs well done, and real adjustments in game. After the last 9 seasons, those will seem novel if not gimmicky...

Reactions: 2 people
If you are going to use a gimmick I suggest the following....

The turnover robe. Every time we get a sack or defensive turnover, the player gets to put on the orange and white robe and strut up and down the sideline just like Ric Flair while yelling WOOOOOOOO and chest chopping teammates.

1CkYn.gif

If we have to do some kind of internal motivation thing for performance it could be to give an orange skull and crossbones sticker on the player's helmet for every turnover caused by each player on the defense and a diamond for every touchdown by an offensive player, something for other outstanding achievements for other positions, etc. That way, you can catch a glimpse of what someone's contributions have been all season long with a glance at their helmet and it will provide that same kind of motivation with players wanting to make the play when they have the opportunity or create the opportunity when one is not there. As long as it didn't result in less team effort by guys wanting to get that individual recognition. Just brainstorming out loud. It could be a terrible idea or it could be a fun one that works. And yes, it's Coach Pru's show so whatever he wants to do will be done but as long as the topic was up for discussion, there's an idea.

Could have different ones for different outstanding plays for the players on defense like:

one with a mask on for a turnover or turnover caused,

one with a sack of gold with a dollar sign on it for each sack,

one with a plus and minus symbol for tackle for loss

one with a lightning bolt for a hard hit or open field tackle,

one for good coverage, boxing in the quarterback (for defensive ends), deflected passes, passes batted down, etc.

And of course, a set of different ones for the plays for offensive players and special teams. Don't make it just about the obvious plays casual fans would recognize, you'd want to have special recognition for the plays that don't always get enough attention too, like solid blocking.

That seems like it might be fun if I was a player. It would be interesting to see if the players or staff would be into it or if they just think it is a stupid idea.
What do y'all think?

Last edited:
Okay, here it is:

Each home game one student will volunteer for the honor of serving as that game's Slapping Post. He or she will stand on the sideline decked out in the traditional gameday gear of the opponent (e.g., jorts and mullet for Florida). Any player who makes a big play gets one clean shot.

Okay, here it is:

Each home game one student will volunteer for the honor of serving as that game's Slapping Post. He or she will stand on the sideline decked out in the traditional gameday gear of the opponent (e.g., jorts and mullet for Florida). Any player who makes a big play gets one clean shot.

That's hilarious man. What do you think about my idea in the previous post?

That's hilarious man. What do you think about my idea in the previous post?

As helmet stickers go, I like that idea of differentiation. But while I’m fine with the use of helmet stickers anywhere else, I just can’t see them polluting a Tennessee helmet. Not a hardcore traditionalist so much as I just really like our helmet as it is.

Maybe they could get jersey patches like Scout merit badges. :p

Had we won the SEC last year (and hell froze over), that garbage can would have been locked in the Vol Tradition for two centuries.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't doubt it. The guy struck me as a grade A jackass early on.

Early one he seemed to lose his cool with just the refs. As time went by and the pressure built he starting losing his cool with the players. Apparently he was losing his cool all along in the locker room.

I personally do not use Twitter, but, as this tweet (Twitter) indicates, the most important "gimmick" that can be earned by anyone who wears the Orange and White is the following: "These guys get to add an #SECGraduate patch to their jerseys this fall."

If we have to do some kind of internal motivation thing for performance it could be to give an orange skull and crossbones sticker on the player's helmet for every turnover caused by each player on the defense and a diamond for every touchdown by an offensive player, something for other outstanding achievements for other positions, etc. That way, you can catch a glimpse of what someone's contributions have been all season long with a glance at their helmet and it will provide that same kind of motivation with players wanting to make the play when they have the opportunity or create the opportunity when one is not there. As long as it didn't result in less team effort by guys wanting to get that individual recognition. Just brainstorming out loud. It could be a terrible idea or it could be a fun one that works. And yes, it's Coach Pru's show so whatever he wants to do will be done but as long as the topic was up for discussion, there's an idea.

Could have different ones for different outstanding plays for the players on defense like:

one for good coverage, boxing in the quarterback (for defensive ends), deflected passes, passes batted down, etc.

And of course, a set of different ones for the plays for offensive players and special teams. Don't make it just about the obvious plays casual fans would recognize, you'd want to have special recognition for the plays that don't always get enough attention too, like solid blocking.

That seems like it might be fun if I was a player. It would be interesting to see if the players or staff would be into it or if they just think it is a stupid idea.
What do y'all think?

UT would have to hire a couple of extra coordinators and some interns to implement and manage your plan. Or just to read and parse it.

No, no that’s not “for all we know”. Jones was a carnival barker focused on peripheral issues. By all accounts Pruitt has a certain disdain for all that mess.

Could the defensive guys have a WWE belt like Bama or could the offense have a huge gold chain necklace like Miami? Sure. But it’d be understated and nowhere near as unbelievably stupid as the trash can that Lyle was all about last year.

But in retrospect, the trash can was perfectly symbolic for last year...

What do y'all think?

Did you also come up with Butch’s spring game scoring system?

Butch used the trash can and Saban let his players hold a Championship Belt everytime one of them made a Defensive stop.

Personally, I just want us to focus on football and getting better.

I love disguised Whopee Cushions on the benches along with the old pull my finger routine. Those are funny, and all the shenanigans we need on the sidelines.

I don't care what they do as long as they win. Plus, I don't see anything wrong with some fun on the sideline as long as they take care of business.

The trash can was over the top bush league.

The belts and chains look like they put some effort into them.

It all seems silly to me but silly can be fun. If there is a fun way to celebrate good things on the sidelines I'm for it. Just put for the effort that others may try to copy the idea or come up with something compareable. Nobody saw the trash can and thought, "I wish I would have thought of that."

Break out a giant Orange Key for key plays. Sure it's corny, just like the chain at Miami, the belt the gumps have and the road warrior shoulder pads of the chumps.

At least make it something that would make a good wall hanger.

VN Store

Back