Will the Vols really be in the top 25 next year?

No i see 6 wins next season..Have to upgrade the QB position
Lol, how freaking lazy can you possibly get with this take? The QB position, playing behind perhaps the worst OL in college football history (certainly Tennessee football history), was the 4th highest rated passer/efficient and the best 3rd down QB in the conference.

Could he be better? Yes, of course he could, still has places he needs to improve in. But the QB position way, way down the list in terms of what went wrong last year or to be singled out for this year. OL, DL, TE, LB and DB all desperately need to improve before you even get to JG.

You’re just pissed that Brandon wasn’t very good last year, took a significant step back, and has pretty much been recruited over at this point. You’ve somehow (wrongly) decided it’s JG’s fault that Brandon dropped a lot of perfectly thrown balls last year and fell out of the top 3 WR rotation. Very transparent and beyond petty imo.

Lol, how freaking lazy can you possibly get with this take? The QB position, playing behind perhaps the worst OL in college football history (certainly Tennessee football history), was the 4th highest rated passer/efficient and the best 3rd down QB in the conference.

Could he be better? Yes, of course he could, still has places he needs to improve in. But the QB position way, way down the list in terms of what went wrong last year or to be singled out for this year. OL, DL, TE, LB and DB all desperately need to improve before you even get to JG.

You’re just pissed that Brandon wasn’t very good last year, took a significant step back, and has pretty much been recruited over at this point. You’ve somehow (wrongly) decided it’s JG’s fault that Brandon dropped a lot of perfectly thrown balls last year and fell out of the top 3 WR rotation. Very transparent and beyond petty imo.

moss popcorn.gif

I still don't think we know what we have in JG because of how bad the line play has been in front of him. For a number of games we had little running game to keep teams honest and then they couldn't block anyone any way. He simply had no time for receivers to run any type of routes that take time to develop. It lets the DB's play tight and creates a very small window for completions. JG may not be much of a quarterback but I did like how he stood in there despite getting killed some of those games.

Reactions: alaVOL and KBVol
Yep, maybe a different QB can stop those other teams from scoring 40-50 points.

I understand your point but keeping the offense on the field, with whoever the QB is, goes a long way toward preventing the other team from scoring a bunch of points. Very few defenses can hold up when they are only on the bench for 3 plays and a punt.

How many TD's did he throw with that awesome passer rating and efficiency? Asking for a friend.

I feel we will do better but honestly, if we beat FL, than this season is a successful one in my book!

This is the weakest schedule we’ve had in some time. The last decade it seems we got every west team that we rotate right as they were peaking. MSU is trending downward and should be a winnable game. Add to that our biggest out of conference game is Brigham young. I have a feeling we will be pleasantly surprised by an 8 or 9 win season counting the bowl.

I understand your point but keeping the offense on the field, with whoever the QB is, goes a long way toward preventing the other team from scoring a bunch of points. Very few defenses can hold up when they are only on the bench for 3 plays and a punt.

Cool, I didn't know that.

For the sake of all puppies and kittens, someone please inform Pruitt if he will upgrade our QB position we probably go undefeated. That's our only problem.

Really be in the top 25 next year? Was the poll I saw that had us at 17 real?

If we do get in to the top #25, it will be early in the season when playing Georgia State, BYU & UT Chatt. We will lose the 4th & 5th game of the season against Florida & Georgia and possibly the 6th game against Mississippi State.

If we do get in to the top #25, it will be early in the season when playing Georgia State, BYU & UT Chatt. We will lose the 4th & 5th game of the season against Florida & Georgia and possibly the 6th game against Mississippi State.

If Chaney can convince Pruitt to upgrade our QB, we going to the playoffs and probably the NC game. Our only issue is QB, errrrrythang else is running like a well-oiled machine.

Reactions: Rocky_top08
Really be in the top 25 next year? Was the poll I saw that had us at 17 real?

Here is my optimistic outlook centered around the two open dates: Before the first open date, we play Ga. St., BYU, and UTC at home and Florida away. 3-1 is certainly doable. Losing in Gainsville is not a sure thing. Remember, Botch could have won as many as 4 games vs. the Gators. Before the 2nd open date, we play Georgia at home, Miss. St. at home, at Bama, S. Carolina and UAB at home and at Ky. 4-2 is very possible, which would put us at 7-3 with Vandy and Missouri remaining. Split means 8-4, sweep means 9-3.

Never said he was the only problem. I don't really see how I implied it but obviously some in this thread think he is the only thing that isn't.

Looking at each opponent individually against our VOLS, I see the possibility of 9 wins. But we don't play in a vacuum. There will be injuries, and If those injuries are to key personnel we are in trouble. We have the playmakers to win 9 games against our opponents if we are all healthy. I imagine that we will be 8-4 at the end of the season, dropping one that we shouldn't (maybe Miss. St., BYU, Mizzou, or Vandy) but based on talent and coaching we should win those. The loss will likely be the result of losing the mental game, coming out flat, in-game coaching errors, or some combination of those. I don't see us winning against UGA, Alabama, or Florida though. If we upset any of those it would have to be Florida, but I don't think that is likely. with 8 wins we are a fringe top 25 team, with 9 we are definitely ranked.

Wins:
GA State
Chattanooga
UAB

Bubble games:
BYU
Miss St.
South Carolina
Kentucky
Missouri
Vandy

Losses:
Florida
UGA
Alabama

My hot take:

Will win all three of the first group.
Will win four of the second group.
Will win one of the last group.

My hot take:

Will win all three of the first group.
Will win four of the second group.
Will win one of the last group.
I agree with all but the win against UGA/Bama/gators. I would love to see the upset though. Nothing would make an 8 win season sweeter than a win over the gators though.

So, we already know that we are in the Top 25; are going to a major bowl and, have two serious Heisman candidates.

Why play the games??

Offensive time of possession means very little, there’s virtually no correlation between your ability to possess the ball longer than your opponent and winning games. A few examples from last year....

-had 5 more minutes of possession than West Virginia and lost by 26 pts
-had 9 more minutes of offensive possession than Florida and lost by 26 pts
-had 17 minutes more possession than SCar and lost the game
-only had 20 seconds more possession than Kentucky and beat the snot out of them by 17 points
-in some of our other games where we were blown out (UGA, Bama, Mizzou, Vandy) we got killed in time of possession

So, all this shows there’s simply no direct correlation. Fact is, our defense was every bit as culpable for the losses, if not more so, than our offense last year. If the opposing defense is fairly rested and fresh because they held our offense to a 3 and out and got off the field quickly, nothing says that OUR defense couldn’t have been competent and done the same exact thing, so that they’d have stayed rested and fresh.

VN Store

Back