Will the Vols really be in the top 25 next year?

Seriously, I was pretty optimistic coming into last year with the new staff and all. I got a swift reality kick in the butt, though, so I'm reluctant to get my hopes up too much; however, if the O line improves like they should and the D line can somehow step up, I could see us with 7, possibly 8 wins. With our schedule we play every year, a #25 ranking isn't too unreasonable with a regular season record like that..
“If ifs and buts we’re candy and nuts, oh what a merry Christmas we would have”, Johnny Majors circa 1990.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
I think Pruitt has had more time to get rid of the culture cancers and coach up the players we have and get them going in the S&C program. Chaney and other new coaches are going to hit the ground on fire. I dont expect the world this year but I would guess 7-5 is the floor. We could very well end up with 8 regular season wins if we win the ones we SHOULD win and maybe one we CAN win.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Spring practice hasn't even started yet and already we're ranked, LOL!

I believe we LOST almost ALL our starting D linemen but now with their backups starting we'll be much improved instantly?

I certainly hope so and I'd love to see 8 or more WINS and another WIN in our bowl game or even better than that.

Adding just a bit of reality here we're still young, have little depth with any real knowledge or real game experience and it's not often that very many true freshmen make a huge impact on a entire season.

6 or 7 WINS and another WIN in our bowl game will be a decent step in the right direction ad should set things up well fr another great recruiting class.

I really want another National Championship NOW before I die but I don't see that as realistic unfortunately.

Step by step my Orange blooded friends.

VFL...GBO!!!

I look back at how poorly the o line played and have to think that with just a little bit of improvement, we pick up 2 wins over last season and go to a bowl game. At least 2 of those losses were mental collapses. Vandy and Mizzou were winnable games. SC should have been a win. I firmly believe that Kentucky should be a win again this year as well as BYU and MissSt. Slap wins for the 3 cupcakes and we should have at least 7 wins. Steal a game from FL, GA, or Bama and see what happens.....
7? By my count you are up to 9. 7-5 seems reasonable. 9-3 seems pretty unlikely.

Not only no but hell no. We will be lucky to be ranked top 30 much less top 25. I just want to have a season in which we don't make the bottom 10 list or bottom 25 list. Let's start with that and then worry about getting into the top 25.

"A better product on the field." Losing by 14 instead of 26? That's absolutely no fun at all, to watch or support financially. Better than 1-6 against the spread at home? 3-4 or 2-5? Awful. Anything less than 8 or 9 wins qualify as an unmitigated failure, and not a significantly "better product on the field."

With how utterly terrible this team was last year, we have a long, long way to go before we become a Top 25 team.

Big NO.

Reactions: vettefool
No

With that said you will see massive improvement. We literally had one of the worst lines in CFB history if you look at negative yardage plays.

Again to reemphasize not the worst last year, but quite possibly in CFB history!

We added 2 5 stars and that should immediately push us into average territory.

Guarantano love him or hate him put up great metrics especially when you factor in how terrible the line is.

Not as versed where we will stand in the skill positions, but defense should be improved overall as well.

I see us jumping to 7-5 (near top 40) if the line stays healthy.

Reactions: KBVol
"A better product on the field." Losing by 14 instead of 26? That's absolutely no fun at all, to watch or support financially. Better than 1-6 against the spread at home? 3-4 or 2-5? Awful. Anything less than 8 or 9 wins qualify as an unmitigated failure, and not a significantly "better product on the field."

I just don't think this season can be judged on win/losses alone. IMO we could win just 6 but show significant improvement across the board. Being "IN" all the games would be huge. Sucks that's where we are, but that's just the way it is.

Lol can I have what ever drug you're on?

I never understood this chrismcVol. Evidently you think what he said is crazy/dumb/delusional etc. What makes you think he's on drugs and why would you want to be like that?

Most here are saying 6-7 wins is about what they expect. That would have us in a bowl, and if we win the bowl that makes it 7-8. 8-9 is just 1 more win or exactly what most here are predicting. So while that might be a little optimistic, I don't think its all that far off. At least not as far as you're suggesting.

I guess what I'm saying is, maybe he's not the one on drugs.

7? By my count you are up to 9. 7-5 seems reasonable. 9-3 seems pretty unlikely.
W-GS
W-BYU
W-Chatt
L- FL (close game. We lose a heart breaker)
L-GA we lose by more than 14
W- MSst (very close game)
L-ALA ( soundly lose but look competitive at times)
W-SC (we actually beat them and look like the better team)
W-UAB
W- KY
W-MIZZ (TOTAL TOSS UP)
W-VANDY (REVENGE game. They look like Vandy of old)
7-9 wins. Ranked in top 25 by end of season.

I have my doubts about this ranking too. But my optimist bent is presiding. Shoving aside disbeliefs, whimpering dread, battered Vol syndrome. The whispers of this is the year we end our self-induced coma. Stir ourselves, rise upon our elbow, stumble and wobble to our feet. Sway, nearly falling, shake the cobwebs of slumber from our head. Then with lurking steps, barely able to stay upright. Hoarsely mutter, "I'm coming." Not quite all here at the moment but like the awaken orange giant says, "I'm coming."

[No snide jokes about not coming without a woman jokes, Eh?]

Attachments

• VolProphesy.jpg
    VolProphesy.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 3
Looking at each opponent individually against our VOLS, I see the possibility of 9 wins. But we don't play in a vacuum. There will be injuries, and If those injuries are to key personnel we are in trouble. We have the playmakers to win 9 games against our opponents if we are all healthy. I imagine that we will be 8-4 at the end of the season, dropping one that we shouldn't (maybe Miss. St., BYU, Mizzou, or Vandy) but based on talent and coaching we should win those. The loss will likely be the result of losing the mental game, coming out flat, in-game coaching errors, or some combination of those. I don't see us winning against UGA, Alabama, or Florida though. If we upset any of those it would have to be Florida, but I don't think that is likely. with 8 wins we are a fringe top 25 team, with 9 we are definitely ranked.

Wins:
GA State
Chattanooga
UAB

Bubble games:
BYU
Miss St.
South Carolina
Kentucky
Missouri
Vandy

Losses:
Florida
UGA
Alabama

Reactions: vettefool
It will all come down to line play imo. On the offensive side we have some nice potential on the interior. Kennedy, Carvin, Johnson and others should be ready to compete. The question once again are the tackles. Morris and Wright need to be ready sooner rather than later. Playing freshman at tackles is not ideal but with camps and improved weight training at the high school level it happens more often than it used to. If Soloman gets approved for this year it could make a huge difference on the defensive line. I think top 25 at some point is possible. Injuries as others have said are the wild card. I am predicting 7 or 8 wins regular season.

Reactions: KBVol

VN Store

Back