Will the SEC seek to expand now?

GodzillaVolFan

Vol For Life
With USC and UCLA moving to the Big 10 and creating an actual coast to coast conference, does this force the SEC into another expansion? It kind of feels like it will. Should the SEC expand further westward or just try to absorb the ACC? In my opinion, it makes more sense to try to attract schools from the ACC such as Clemson, Florida State, Miami, UNC, Duke and Va Tech. The Big 10 adds 2 schools with football and basketball history. There aren't any schools in the SEC geographical footprint that offer that, so should the SEC consider 4 or more teams so they can add both? I think it would almost make more sense to go all in and try to add 8 teams (UVA, VA Tech, UNC, Duke, Miami, Fla State, Clemson, Ga Tech) and create a super conference. Those 8 teams add value in football, basketball and baseball. They also give the SEC 2 teams in every SEC state outside of KY, MO and LA.
Thoughts?

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
If we’re talking TV footprint you want to add UNC/Duke/NC State (not sure how legally bound they are to UNC) and UVA/VT. If you’re now expanding to keep the B1G out of your geographic footprint you absolutely go after Clemson and FSU first. Miami being the small private school that it is, with a questionable fan base would be my third choice out of Clemson and FSU.

If we’re talking TV footprint you want to add UNC/Duke/NC State (not sure how legally bound they are to UNC) and UVA/VT. If you’re now expanding to keep the B1G out of your geographic footprint you absolutely go after Clemson and FSU first. Miami being the small private school that it is, with a questionable fan base would be my third choice out of Clemson and FSU.
NC State is a tough one. They are respectable in athletics and academics, but don't bring the bang of Clemson or Miami. I just think it would be best to add schools that would also bring built in rivalries with existing SEC schools. Clemson and FSU would be great choices for SC and Fla. Ga Tech adds a little for GA and also brings the return of an original founding member of the SEC. I guess Ok St would add value to OK as well.

It makes the most sense to go after the southeastern ACC schools; they are already in your geographic footprint anyway. Clemson, FSU, and Virginia Tech are at the top of that list. Bringing the North Carolina schools over seems complicated because of basketball (seems like they'd have to come over as a package deal).

The SEC has already plucked the 2 Big 12 teams you want, so I don't see much midwestern expansion. Maybe West Virginia?

I would take Miami over Florida St honestly. Miami is more of a national brand than Florida St is.

Reactions: GodzillaVolFan
I would take Miami over Florida St honestly. Miami is more of a national brand than Florida St is.

We disagree.

In a perfect world I’d prefer they both die in the ACC, but FSU has a MUCH better overall athletic department than Miami, and Miami’s fan base rivals Vanderbilt unless FSU or Clemson is in town.

Last edited:
No! Finished
Id
In this crazy new world, the SEC would be wise to lock up…in no particular order…FSU, Clemson, VT and Virginia.

Miami can go rot in hell. ☠️😇
I agree 100% on those 4. I have a sneaking suspicion that you might have Oregon and Washington try to move into the Big10 next. Maybe even Notre Dame will see the super conference writing on the wall and cease being an independent of sorts. If that was the case, the SEC would need 4 nationally relevant schools at least.

Don’t see us expanding past 16 for a while once we get there. So 2 more in the next 3-5 years or sooner is possible. Several possibilities but I see Florida St and Clemson with North Carolina St and Miami being the other top possibilities. I see us trying to stabilize at 16 as a conference. I think 16 team super conferences is what is coming. It needs to stop there though in my opinion. GBO!

Not even close.

Miami is a bizarre contradiction of a program. As an overall institution, they are kind of like Vanderbilt. You'd never know it from the vibe they put off (and the academic side of the house there absolutely hates that). They are like if Vanderbilt had 5 national titles since 1983 and a motley crew-type fanbase.

I think FSU and Miami might be a defensive move to keep the B1G out of Florida. You almost have to grab both of them now. (Let B1G grab UCF lol).

After that, I guess they would grab Clemson, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina (or NC State).

SEC could really use North Carolina for Basketball. I would love to see Virginia Tech in SEC as that is a great rivalry matchup for Tennessee with our close proximity.

Not even close.

Miami is a bizarre contradiction of a program. As an overall institution, they are kind of like Vanderbilt. You'd never know it from the vibe they put off (and the academic side of the house there absolutely hates that). They are like if Vanderbilt had 5 national titles since 1983 and a motley crew-type fanbase.

Great analogy…Wake Forest would be a similar comp in the ACC.

Reactions: 05_never_again
If they expand, I can see Clemson for sure and then pick one from Miami, NC, NC State and Virginia.

UNC is the flagship property of the ACC and has to be the main target of both SEC and B1G. UVa makes sense as a B1G school. Could see the SEC taking VT but their value isn’t that great anymore. Clemson doesn’t add a market. FSU and Miami don’t add markets. I don’t think there is much fear that the B1G takes any of the three either. All 3 die in a second tier conference. Who do you take as 19 and 20? If the SEC can lock up NC and VA do they go fit Arizona maybe? Maybe then Clemson and a Florida school or NCST makes sense but I don’t see any of those as 17 and 18.

I see UNC/Duke/NC State being a package deal wherever they go.
I think the NC State fans would be happy to get away from UNC and pave their own. If Carolina went to the B1G State would love the opportunity to tell UNC to **** off and put themselves in the SEC. UNC to the B1G is the best possible outcome for State if the ACC dissolves. That would give them a chance at the SEC.

Last edited:
NC State is a tough one. They are respectable in athletics and academics, but don't bring the bang of Clemson or Miami. I just think it would be best to add schools that would also bring built in rivalries with existing SEC schools. Clemson and FSU would be great choices for SC and Fla. Ga Tech adds a little for GA and also brings the return of an original founding member of the SEC. I guess Ok St would add value to OK as well.
I like your reasoning but OK state brings us nothing of value.

You could be right. NC State has over the last few years turned into a football school while Duke and UNC will be always be Basketball schools no matter how well their football teams are.
I think the NC State fans would be happy to get away from UNC and pave their own. If Carolina went to the B1G they State love the opportunity to tell UNC to **** off and put themselves in the SEC. UNC to the B1G is the best possible outcome for State if the ACC dissolves. That would give them a chance at the SEC.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
UNC and Clemson and maybe even Virginia and VT would add some spice to the conference...We wold get that natural rivalry with UNC and the Virginia schools which could get fun...Plus those are some dynamite basketball schools so that wold add to the excitement.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I think the NC State fans would be happy to get away from UNC and pave their own. If Carolina went to the B1G State would love the opportunity to tell UNC to **** off and put themselves in the SEC. UNC to the B1G is the best possible outcome for State if the ACC dissolves. That would give them a chance at the SEC.
I see NC State in a similar situation to A&M before they joined the SEC. Both are not the flagship university of their state but have respectable athletic programs and likely fed up with the arrogance of the University of TX/NC fans.

Given the cash needed to leave the ACC I don't expect anyone to leave but if there's a NC school likely to jump, it's NCSU.

I see NC State in a similar situation to A&M before they joined the SEC. Both are not the flagship university of their state but have respectable athletic programs and likely fed up with the arrogance of the University of TX/NC fans.

Given the cash needed to leave the ACC I don't expect anyone to leave but if there's a NC school likely to jump, it's NCSU.
I almost made the exact same comparison.

Reactions: Pappy
Swing for the fences and try to get Notre Dame. Depending on whether or not that succeeds, start looking at the following in order of impact:

Virginia Tech (more popular than UVA)
North Carolina/NC State (would prefer the Wolfpack, frankly)
Colorado
Pittsburgh/WVU
Florida State (maybe)

I really don’t see the utility in bringing Clemson on board; the SEC already has South Carolina, and as split as the state is it’s not like Clemson is going to the Big Ten so you could easily leave them out there to rot and give Tennessee back its old Upstate inroads.

Get the P5 schools to form their our freaking league............No conferences. Screw it!

Can you imagine the screeching of Kentucky fans if the SEC added Duke and UNC?

VN Store

Back