Will Neyland be at 50% Capacity like Texas, or higher?

Exactly. Our friends got it, their son felt bad for about 2 days. His parent got it and they were a little sicker but still no worse than the normal flu.
And then there’s those 100k plus dead people in the US and kids in ICU but hey it just depends on what news channel you watch right?

Reactions: Purple Tiger
With the news that asymptomatic people rarely spread the disease, just screen everyone for temperatures prior to entering.
Yes. It takes 1 second to take someone's temp. If they are over, they cant come in. Simple. Also require masks to be safe, I see no reason we shouldn't be able to be 100% capacity by Sept

Neyland @50% is STILL the GREATEST place to be on a Fall Saturday

giphy.gif

100% of the stadium will be used with fans just keeping distance between one another. If each person gets about 2 feet of space today, and we need 6 feet for COVID, that means approximately 33% of capacity can be filled. Take into account families and related individuals who do not need to socially distance, and you can get 50%.
If someone seat is 2 ft and there is 6 ft of space between fans, thats 10 ft for two fans. So less than 33%.

I get it. And you're right that the current virus isn't a threat to younger people, so your argument is definitely compelling. FWIW, during the second wave of the Spanish Flu, the virus mutated such that it killed people within 24 hours... 675,000 Americans died in all. I suppose that at least would reduce the rate of transmission if it were to go that route. And, hey, maybe Trump's right... maybe it'll just disappear altogether. I'm open to that and, make no mistake, I definitely want a Vol football season. But, such a thing should be approached carefully.

The 1918 college football season was definitely affected. Of note, fans in the stands wore masks. Also of note, Tennessee had no official team in 1917 or 1918.

# # #

"...But it was a season which was greatly affected by the flu pandemic, as several teams’ games were canceled.

“Football seasons were also curtailed,” Roberts said. “Harvard only played three football games; most football teams really didn’t play many games that year because of the flu.”

Michigan and Pittsburgh, the aforementioned co-national champions, each played five games that season.

Local teams such as Arkansas and Oklahoma — which were both members of the Southwest Conference — also played limited schedules that season. The Razorbacks played just five games that season, going 3-2, while the Sooners had just six games to their credit."

Oh it will disappear forever in one way or the other. Either it is a slow mutating virus and everyone gets immunities in one way or the other, or everyone gets used to it like the flu and we stop being scared. It leaves the forefronts of everyone's mind either way. No stopping that.

So you are saying Cancel everything for the rest of our lives. You are guessing there MAY be a vaccine in the future. Maybe maybe not. Remember there is a flu vaccine and it kills over 50K almost every year. What number will be a acceptable number to resume life? I'm not saying it can not be dangerous but no one is requiring and to get out.

No. I'm obviously not saying cancel life in perpetuity.

(1) I think intentionally filling Neyland half-full is an insult to, well, everything that is UT football; and
(2) If CV19 is still around this fall without a vaccine/treatment, I don't think it's prudent to have butts in the seats. PLAY THE GAMES if possible, but no fans. My understanding is the NFL is talking about going this route and would simulate crowds on TV with digital fans and pumped in noise. Our senses may not perceive the difference.

After a week of 10,000, 50,000, 100,000 or more people at a time attending protests and public memorials in many cities throughout the country, is social distancing even still a serious thing? Seems the new advice is wear a mask and you should be fine especially if you are outdoors.

The new rules don't apply if you're doing something that Americans love, like going to games. That will still destroy the world. Now if 100,000 show up to loot and pillage Neyland instead, then you are safe from infection.

Edit: I started to change to blue font, but sadly it's probably not going to turn out to be silly sarcasm.

Texas is doing this stupid phased opening crap, sports stadiums will be at 100% capacity by football season.
Yeah, in Virginia outside sporting events as I type this message can have 50% capacity. There will be fans come September

No. I'm obviously not saying cancel life in perpetuity.

(1) I think intentionally filling Neyland half-full is an insult to, well, everything that is UT football; and
(2) If CV19 is still around this fall without a vaccine/treatment, I don't think it's prudent to have butts in the seats. PLAY THE GAMES if possible, but no fans. My understanding is the NFL is talking about going this route and would simulate crowds on TV with digital fans and pumped in noise. Our senses may not perceive the difference.
You think the NFL is going to let this happen?
NFL will reportedly lose $5.5 billion if games are played in empty stadiums

If someone seat is 2 ft and there is 6 ft of space between fans, thats 10 ft for two fans. So less than 33%.

Your calculations would be too high as well. I think both of you are forgetting that the current 6 ft distance requirement would impact space in front and behind you as well as at your side. I’m thinking you’d have to leave 2 rows unoccupied for every one with fans. That limit alone takes you to 33% of capacity. Then divide that percent by at least 6 for the occupied rows (3 blank seats on each side of an occupied seat) and your down to 5.5% of occupancy. That’s less than 6,000 fans in Neyland IF today’s guidelines were being strictly enforced. I believe the Ohio State AD was hoping 20,000 fans could attend games in Columbus when he spoke to the press a few weeks ago. He was probably thinking that families could sit in closer proximity than 6 feet. It sounds like some leaders in government believe the 6 ft requirement will be no more by late August. Otherwise, it’s really a waste of resources to plan for and service even 15 to 20,000 attendees at games. I think the 6 ft rule will not be a requirement in a large number of states soon.

Correct. Barring the disappearance of CV19 prior to the season, I don't think the NFL will play before fans. See: Baseball and soccer overseas now.
If a Baseball game was played in Virginia right now they could have 50% capacity, same with football and Nascar

100% of the stadium will be used with fans just keeping distance between one another. If each person gets about 2 feet of space today, and we need 6 feet for COVID, that means approximately 33% of capacity can be filled. Take into account families and related individuals who do not need to socially distance, and you can get 50%.

Actually, if you follow the six-feet protocol, I think you would have to skip rows, too. It’d be more like 20%. But, I am splitting hairs. Under either circumstance, it would be very surreal.

VN Store

Back