Will Kiffin try to come after Tee Martin?

SEC Media days should be much more exciting now with Kiffy talking trash. Looking forward to it. I think he will have some success there and have Ole Miss going to bowl games every year.

I cannot imagine a worse cultural fit than Kiffin at OM. Talk about a square peg in a round hole, it will not end well.
I think it is perfect for Ole Lane. It's gonna be like letting a kid loose in a candy store, in more than one way.

Reactions: bigdan
Are we really worrying about silly stuff like this? If Lane does do something that silly and Tee wants to go then ADIOS and good luck.

Reactions: AM64
Lane will try to raid everyone's cellar as much as he can...wouldn't you...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In answer to the OP, I just don't see LK wanting to hire someone who helped him get fired at USC and who isn't exactly killing it on the recruiting trail. Right now, it doesn't seem like Tee is helping us very much and we can't fire him without risking very bad PR.

Reactions: DougAtkins91
More than a few of my friends and neighbors went there. You might be suprised what kinds of stuff good looking rich people do when nobody's paying attention, even if they are church going southerners.

Truth. All of my dad's side of the family have traditionally gone to Ole Miss, and I currently have a couple of nieces attending there. I also dated a hometown girl who attended Ole Miss, so I have spent quite a bit of time on that campus over the years, and those people party hard...and I mean those people party hard.

Any thoughts?
After initially wanting to say no, I actually think that would be a great hire for Kiffin and it would be a good situation for Tee to go run someone else’s offense that he trusts and has worked with before. He would learn a great deal of offense and get more experience calling plays and he would be transferring to a school that doesn’t compete with Tennessee. Additionally, I think that would open the door for us to move Johnson back to WR and hire a true running backs coach. I like Tee a lot and would hate to lose him, but it could work out for everyone.

Kiffin will want someone who is willing to do that. Martin has already tried doing it himself, and that didn’t turn out so well. That said, landing him as a position coach after all these years was shocking. It is his next natural step, and I could see him interested in joining the man that gave him a shot at USC and being humble enough to run Kiffin’s offense, while getting back to the OC spot, increasing his pay while playing in the SEC meanwhile learning from a gifted coach.

Last edited:
As long as Chaney stays, we’re good.
Chaney will not leave Pruitt and Tennessee for Kiffin after one year. Pruitt is a good man and trending in the right direction. That would be a horrible thing to do. Especially considering how much he is paid. I mean... he has an opportunity to turn a program around that he loves and that is willing to pay him what he is worth. It would be different if he wasn’t appreciated here like he wasn’t at Georgia.

I wish we could stop talking about Kiffin. The P***k did a horrible, cowardly thing here. I have no admiration for him. He LOVES attention and the media lves to give it to him. I don't understand why we have to do it on this board.facepalm-emoticon.png

I think you nailed it. He knows that Kiffin will call his own offense and if he likes being back in Knoxville he will have more job security and advancement possibilities in Ktown at least until Phil retires.
So he wouldn’t take an OC job because he has the chance to be an OC? 🤔

He wouldn't really be the OC and he knows that. It is going to be Kiffin's offense
Exactly why he would do it. His offense didn’t fair too well. Perfect career development opportunity. Get the title. Experience calling plays. Learn a mastermind’s offense. Makes more sense for him to go than not.

Chaney will not leave Pruitt and Tennessee for Kiffin after one year. Pruitt is a good man and trending in the right direction. That would be a horrible thing to do. Especially considering how much he is paid. I mean... he has an opportunity to turn a program around that he loves and that is willing to pay him what he is worth. It would be different if he wasn’t appreciated here like he wasn’t at Georgia.
I agree. The worry I have is that he deserves to be a HBC, but I don’t think he wants to be one so I think we’re safe.

So he wouldn’t take an OC job because he has the chance to be an OC? 🤔

He has already been an OC with mixed results. He can also learn a lot from Chaney and know that Chaney wants to be here indefinitely. How long will Kiffin stay at Ole Miss? It would very difficult for Fulmer to let him get away even if Pruitt leaves or gets fired. Having said all that, we don't know what is in his head or what goes on behind the scenes so anything is possible, but it's just my opinion that he would be somewhat protected here and my opinion is useless in this situation.

I cannot imagine a worse cultural fit than Kiffin at OM. Talk about a square peg in a round hole, it will not end well.

I saw someone comment that it was a good fit and wondered why anyone could think that. Thing is Kiffin lived in Bammer for three years, so he must have learned to adapt. Of course he was working for Saban. Coming up from South Florida as the HC? Maybe he is ready for OM, but I doubt OM is ready for him.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
If Kiffin were to offer Tee the OC job I believe Tee would leave in a second, and I wouldn't blame him.

I agree, but I don't think it's particularly likely that Kiffin will offer the OC position to Tee. Kendal Briles seems to be the most likely candidate if he doesn't get a HC offer from a smaller school (may be FAU).

Reactions: rikberry31
I agree, but I don't think it's particularly likely that Kiffin will offer the OC position to Tee. Kendal Briles seems to be the most likely candidate if he doesn't get a HC offer from a smaller school (may be FAU).
I would almost bank on Briles going with him.

He has already been an OC with mixed results. He can also learn a lot from Chaney and know that Chaney wants to be here indefinitely. How long will Kiffin stay at Ole Miss? It would very difficult for Fulmer to let him get away even if Pruitt leaves or gets fired. Having said all that, we don't know what is in his head or what goes on behind the scenes so anything is possible, but it's just my opinion that he would be somewhat protected here and my opinion is useless in this situation.

Yeah I know he was an OC at USC, but he wasn’t calling someone else’s offense. It should also be noted the reason he got the job at USC as a WR was because of Kiffin. But when Kiffin left and Helton promotes him to OC, Tee was calling his own plays. A lot of OCs start out by calling someone else’s O. He would be calling Kiffin’s at Ole Miss.

I get the draw to coach under Chaney and that is how we got Tee, but why would he wait to be an OC to learn from Chaney when he can go coach for Kiffin who has won an NC and actually can be an OC and make more money? That was my point.

You are right, I don’t know squat that is going on in Tee’s head! 🤣 Still, my guess is with the familiarity, the opportunity to learn under Kiffin, the opportunity to get a pay raise and the opportunity to call plays again, all along with the opportunity to stay in the SEC, I think he takes the job if he gets the offer. Also, I think Kiffin will be at Ole Miss for a long time actually.

Reactions: VOLSONLY

VN Store

Back