Will expansion impact TV appearances?

there is going to continue to be an increase in streaming of games just like happened a lot last fall / winter with basketball. likely to see more streaming on football this season/ definitely with expansion..

Sorry to inform you, but Texas is a bigger draw regionally & nationally than UT. It ain't the 90's (much as I hate to admit it) . That , and Texas has the Cash to make things happen. Texas is fixing to explode. Watch .
Things always change and they will continue to change. Texas and Alabama will not always be on top of the athletic world. Bank on it.

ESPN will renegotiate the SEC network deal as I believe there is a clause in the contract that if additional teams are added either side can reopen the contract and since I would think that ESPN will get out of the Longhorn network contract with this they will have more money to throw out as I don't see the league allowing Texas in with that television deal continuing.

I'm sure the deal has all but been signed and they are just waiting on the T's to be crossed and the I's dotted at this point.

I think both the conference and network have enough on the ball to have this be a done deal.
Texas already said that the Longhorn network would go away by 2025 when their contract expires with ESPN, however, sooner if ESPN agrees and I would think that the SEC have already gotten assurances from ESPN that it would happen sooner.

Texas is in much better shape currently.
Not really.

It fascinates the analytical part of me that Michigan, Nebraska, Texas, and Tennessee all kind of slumped in the past decade or so, and have not a one of them yet gotten back to winning championships.

The Longhorns' past three seasons under the newish head coach have gone in the wrong direction: 10-4, then 8-5, then 7-3. You can argue that, given Covid-weirdness, the 7-3 is actually an uptick from the 8-5, but nonetheless it follows a trend of fewer wins each year.

That's not as drastic as Butch Jones going from 9-4 twice in a row down to 4-8 his final season, but it has to have the Texas fan base wondering if they've got the right guy.

Yes, they're better off than Tennessee in the current snapshot of time. But it's just a snapshot and might be just as misleading as 2015-2016. In 2015 and 2016, when we were going 9-4 and they were going 5-7, you could say the opposite.

The important thing is that neither program is yet back to championship football, which is the reasonable goal of both programs.

I'm hoping we get there first.

Go Vols!

Sorry, but that is not true.
I seriously can't remember the last game we played that wasn't available via stream. In the past few years, ESPN+ has even gotten to the point that I can even stream my local Southern Conference FCS team -Mercer- for football and basketball. It's crazy.

Reactions: LowKey
I seriously can't remember the last game we played that wasn't available via stream. In the past few years, ESPN+ has even gotten to the point that I can even see my local Southern Conference FCS team -Mercer- on TV every week.
Agree for football, but Mens basketball, baseball and Ladies basketball are often not available on TV While the other SEC channels sit unused. The other sports are seldom available on TV or by streaming. When there is an extended games, weather delay- overtime games, the SEC alternate channel is often difficult to find. The alternate channels listed are seldom carrying the last part of those extended games. They could at least let people know where those games can be watched. Just a little bit of accurate communication would solve a lot of the problems, however would not solve the availability of the minor sports be broadcasted. Some of us are unable to drive the hour or so each way to watch a track meet, a tennis match, or a swim meet.

Agree for football, but Mens basketball, baseball and Ladies basketball are often not available on TV While the other SEC channels sit unused. The other sports are seldom available on TV or by streaming. When there is an extended games, weather delay- overtime games, the SEC alternate channel is often difficult to find. The alternate channels listed are seldom carrying the last part of those extended games. They could at least let people know where those games can be watched. Just a little bit of accurate communication would solve a lot of the problems, however would not solve the availability of the minor sports be broadcasted. Some of us are unable to drive the hour or so each way to watch a track meet, a tennis match, or a swim meet.
We're talking about 2 different things. You're talking about the traditional method of delivery via cable or satellite provider where you are correct; the choices are limited by channel capacity. I'm talking about streaming platforms where all those games have been available for a few years now. Granted, it does involve "relearning" how to watch TV via app instead of just flipping channels, but the choices make it worth it.

I think ESPN will renegotiate with the other conferences to allow the SEC games on all available networks opening time slots on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC N, etc. Between those 4 networks and CBS, they can get most of the games in, IMO.
Maybe Hallmark channel get the big 10.

Reactions: Wireless1
Texas population. ..29.2 million, Tenn population 6.89 million. Yep, You're right genius, Texas has a bigger population than Tennessee. They also had a bigger population in 1998. We aren't talking about 'draw' here. We're talking about success, championships, and being listed with the Big Boys. That's what the thread was about, right? What's the population for the state of Oklahoma vs Texas? Sooners still kick their asses, right?

VIEWERSHIP is what this was about. Texas is a bigger draw; Love 'em or Hate 'em. So sorry this sailed on some here.

I seriously can't remember the last game we played that wasn't available via stream. In the past few years, ESPN+ has even gotten to the point that I can even stream my local Southern Conference FCS team -Mercer- for football and basketball. It's crazy.

That’s pretty good if you get Mercer on + now.

But not during the holiday season, she loves her Vols but interrupt her hallmark? Hiroshima would look like a firefly.

That would be the big ten channel. So most games will be played by 330 to allow the real conference to start. So she'll have plenty of time for Christmas movies.

Reactions: Wireless1
That would be the big ten channel. So most games will be played by 330 to allow the real conference to start. So she'll have plenty of time for Christmas movies.
Whew, she like to start her nap about 330, so that should work.;)

I think ESPN will renegotiate with the other conferences to allow the SEC games on all available networks opening time slots on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC N, etc. Between those 4 networks and CBS, they can get most of the games in, IMO.
So you will watch as many games as you can? Don’t you have a life? You’ll now be watching 18 year old millionaires that don’t even have developed brains being controlled by a lost network called ESPN. The end of the game right before our eyes. Haha Suckers!

VN Store

Back