Will COVID19 Be The Final Nail In The NCAA Coffin?

I’ve got a coworker that’s said since spring this will result in 4 conferences with 16 teams each

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
Here's my prediction of what the new "Association" will look like. I'm sure one or two of these won't make the cut leaving a spot or two for Notre Dame and other strong programs. The color coding is from prior conference
Each 16 team conference can be divided into either 2 eight team or 4 four team divisions for football.

1595881602634.png

This is a total hack piece of writing.

"Well, how would it look if the NCAA isn't staging fall championships in 22 sports but those 130 FBS programs decided to soldier onward, basically on their own? Answer: not good."
Who says other than Dennis Dodd?

"Whether hope is a strategy in that regard remains to be seen."
The conferences and schools are probably communicating more now than ever before. That's "hope" and not preparation and planning for a strategy?

Then he tosses in the image licensing issue. What does that have to do with the pandemic and whether or not football gets played? Could he not reach the minimum article length and tossed this in as filler?

"If so, at what expense, if this becomes perceived as a sort of power play and even one player becomes hospitalized? "
An NCAA athlete entering a hospital isn't unprecedented.

"You see, if there are no fall championships, there may be teams and conferences in those 22 sports that just don't play. And who could blame them? "
One team in each of the 22 sports wins the NCAA championship. Yes, players compete to win the NCAA championship but since only an extremely limited number of athletes win a championship I suspect most compete because they enjoy the sport, being with teammates and other things. Most reports have the majority of kids wanting to play so what about their wishes?

Here's my prediction of what the new "Association" will look like. I'm sure one or two of these won't make the cut leaving a spot or two for Notre Dame and other strong programs. The color coding is from prior conference
Each 16 team conference can be divided into either 2 eight team or 4 four team divisions for football.

View attachment 295736

Rutgers/Maryland are staying in the Big Ten. The SEC isn’t taking Baylor and TCU.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Rutgers/Maryland are staying in the Big Ten. The SEC isn’t taking Baylor and TCU.
SO who does the ACC and SEC pick up to make 16 each? ND would be one for ACC with the current agreement, and WV? So who for the SEC?

SO who does the ACC and SEC pick up to make 16 each? ND would be one for ACC with the current agreement, and WV? So who for the SEC?

The SEC would want to expand into either A) markets they don’t have or B) way bigger name schools. They’d probably try and see if they can lure Texas and Oklahoma but I have my doubts they could pull that off. They could see if Clemson wants to play in the big leagues but why would Clemson leave? My guess would be one of the Virginia schools and then NC State. Two markets they don’t have teams in or they lure FSU/Miami the two Florida schools.

Reactions: sport3500

View attachment 295736
Notre Dame ?

View attachment 295736

The Big 10 would never willingly add Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa State, and West Virginia or any combination of them.

If the Big 12 was dissolved and it came down to it, those four would just be up a creek without a paddle. As would Baylor and TCU.

The Big 10 would never willingly add Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa State, and West Virginia or any combination of them.

If the Big 12 was dissolved and it came down to it, those four would just be up a creek without a paddle. As would Baylor and TCU.
I agree there would be a lot of moaning and somebody will lose a seat at the table for Notre Dame to be included (Abington_Vol_Fan)
This might make more sense understanding that each conference would have 4 divisions. You'd play everyone in your division every year, one team from each of the other divisions each year and have 2 rivalry opponents each year within your conference. You then have 1 game each year from each of the other conferences and one game versus non Association opponent.

1596129843076.png

The Big 10 is looking for contiguous states with AAU status. Kansas gives that to them. Nebraska no longer gives AAU status to them.

Problem is that Kansas would own Big 10 basketball

Last edited:

VN Store

Back