Hugh Freeze mega thread and poll [merged]

Do you want Tennessee to hire Hugh Freeze?

• Yes

Votes: 1,219 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 360 22.9%

• Total voters
Very skilled offensive mind. Knows how to exploit weaknesses and adjust. Good with motivation although the religious stuff might rub some players the wrong way.

I did coach against him way back in the day when he was at Briarcrest
Being from Memphis i've played against that Briarcrest team when he had them. They were pretty sound in all 3 phases. Freeze was kinda like a rockstar at the time, he was the hottest name in the city. The guy has worked his way up from ground 1 literally.

If he puts a team on the field that plays like hell and wins on Saturdays, hookers and weed be damned, I'm fine with it if he walks down front on Sundays and gets forgiven.

Reactions: memtownvol
Very skilled offensive mind. Knows how to exploit weaknesses and adjust. Good with motivation although the religious stuff might rub some players the wrong way.

I did coach against him way back in the day when he was at Briarcrest
Are you for hire? I would support this over our current situation. The fact you coached against a great coach is good enough for me

How many of you knew Liberty has a football team? This should answer your question.
To be fair, my opinion of him is primarily a function of what he did at Ole Miss.

What he's doing at Liberty, while it is really good for them (they were a mediocre FCS program just a few years ago), I think is kind of overrated. With the exception of Virginia Tech those teams he's beaten this year are complete and total garbage, a few probably being borderline Division II-level teams.

Yes his teams typically play above their talent and he would bring a fun offense and a good defense to compliment.

I reject the notion he could bring a fun offense with JG at the helm. To run a fun offense you have to have competent players.

Reactions: bullet20
There are no guarantees - he could bomb. Lots love Mike Leach and he’s stinking it up (year 1).
Remind us of the last time Leach ever had a team ranked #1 in the country? Or how many times he has beaten the best coach in the history of college football? Not really a valid comparison.

Great recruiter, players will run through a wall for him, has a great record vs Saban, rebuilt Ole Miss into a legit power in the West, innovative offensive mind, whipping ass at Liberty, said Tennessee is his dream job. Take your pick of any of the above.
I didn't realize he had said UT was his dream job. In light of that, every single booster and administrator who is blocking us getting him needs to go f himself and get the hell out of this program. They have kidnapped it and it doesn't belong to them, as much as they think it does.

Lol. You really think Freeze would strike fear into Saban if he came here?? We would still get steamrolled by Bama. Just maybe not quite as bad.
There's dumb, and then there's this comment. It has every bit as much validity as did the comments of naysayers who said Brady was only good because of Belichick and would bomb with the Bucs.

Are you for hire? I would support this over our current situation. The fact you coached against a great coach is good enough for me

If you saw the final score, you might not wanna hire me...

Bit of backstory. I was young (early 20s) and the guy that ran our department was a volunteer HC for inner city Memphis school. He asked if I wanted to help and I figured it would be good for career. By the second season, I was the de facto DC.

Regarding the game against Briarcrest, we were outmanned. They played a good number of players and were vanilla in the first half and we were only down 13-8 at the break and 23-14 after 3. They got a couple of TDs on us early in the 4th and probably could have got 1 more but they kneeled 4x inside the 2.

I was interim HC for 2 games that season (had 2-0 record, although 1 was a forfeit when the other team had some of their players investigated for a shooting.)

The volunteer coach thing was at several HS in Memphis during that time due to school budget cuts. Manassas had a documentary made about their program.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbatey1
Freeze would be a good hire. Proven in the SEC, can recruit, and has an innovative offense mind. He had success at Ole Miss so it is logical to assume he would do even better at a school like UT with more history & resources. The big question is will Fulmer axe JP? If UT does not hire HF after this year, he will not be available next season. A good job will come open and Freeze will bolt from Liberty in a heartbeat.

He’s a good recruiter, does more with less, and has proven he knows how to win against the best teams in the SEC.

If you want to see his motivational skills check this out:

It's pretty simple, because he can actually coach.

He's been a head coach at multiple stops and done something most haven't---he's won everywhere he's been.

He's also done something none of the past 4 coaches at Tennessee have done. He's won with the talent that he's been given. He walked into Liberty with a weak roster and has them playing great football with a roster far less talented than what we have right now. There is no doubt in my mind Liberty would beat us if we played this Saturday.

Give Hugh our roster and he'd at the very least not lose to Kentucky or Arkansas.

However, he ain't coming here because Pruitt isn't getting fired so the point is moot.

I wish I could dislike your post because of how correct and accurate your assessment is...mostly the last part.

Reactions: MMA81
I legit don't know anything about Hugh Freeze. Is he a good motivator, good strategist, good recruiter, etc? I know he had a good record at Ole Miss in the SEC west and is doing well at liberty. But why would he do well at Tennessee?

On that last note, are his past troubles an indicator of how well he would do? Like can he actually recruit high end talent without cheating (or getting caught lol)
Had ole miss in the top three. Beat Alabama twice. Pretty sure he would do well here.

Reactions: lifeisdeep

VN Store

Back