Why we shouldn't be concerned about a lack of big men next year.

white65

I saw a thread about someone saying we will struggle not having any size or big bobies down low next year but really i think pearl doesnt want alot of big slow post men. The past 2 years he hasn't been able to run his press like wants to. So i think we will be fine next year with a more athletic team. And i think we will see alot more of the press and even more pressure defence.

I saw a thread about someone saying we will struggle not having any size or big bobies down low next year but really i think pearl doesnt want alot of big slow post men. The past 2 years he hasn't been able to run his press like wants to. So i think we will be fine next year with a more athletic team. And i think we will see alot more of the press and even more pressure defence.

This is the men's forum.

Yeah, and that hurt us so bad last year. I mean who wants to go to the Elite 8 when you can get bounced in the first or second round with that "controlled chaos" crap?

Last edited:
The controlled chaos stuff is a joke as a primary weapon. It would be nice to throw at people from time to time but look at recent Pearl teams that are described the way you say Pearl wants to run his team without slow big men. In fact, look at our past NIT trip. Butler had good guard play and controlled the tempo of the game. We lost. North Carolina had good guard play and ran right through it with speed, and we lost again.
If you want to win a national championship, you got to face good guards and that junk aint gon' cut it.

Put me down for a fan that wants a big, strong center rather than a smaller athletic one that runs the floor well. With the players we will have next year I don't think we need a lot of scoring from the center position but defense, rebounds, and shot blocking would be nice. That being said, I'm a little worried for next year.

The controlled chaos system was fun, but it was way too much chaos and not enough control. I am really liking the half court defense lately and am optimistic the half court offense will improve as Tobias Harris gets more touches.

Nonsense. You should always be concerned with a lack of big men.

I think it is a concern, but let's face it we had great matchups last year in the NCAAT so while the style change was big, the fact that we matched up pretty well in all of those games were a big factor as well. Bruce is going to get his team to the NCAA dance every year he is a coach no matter if he has LSU's current team. What he did his first year was nothing more than remarkable. Having guys like Kevin Ware and Chris Jones are going to be huge next year. Let's not forget there has always been talks of Tobias playing 2 years here, Maymon will be here, Hall will be here, and I'm sure Bruce will add a big man somewhere down the line. It's all about matchups in the NCAA tourney, and a smaller, faster team can cause problems for a lot of people.

Seeing from both ends as an UT and ETSU fan. You need the bigs! Can't win without them. Got to be able to clean the glass on the d-end. Otherwise one shot and back on defense. It is what it is! Go Vols, win us the first of many trophies.

Well, if we didn't pick up another recruit for 2011, here is the rotation.

PG- Golden/Jones Jr.
SG- Hopson/Ware
SF- Tatum/McRae/Woolridge
PF- Harris/Maymon
C- Kenny Hall/ ???????

We have no backup center. NONE. That's a big, big issue. Not too mention the chances Tobias going pro, and you have just Maymon, and moving Woolridge back to 4. We need two big men. I see us getting one JUCO big man, and a not as known big man this year.

The year we lost to OSU in the big dance, we had to let Dane Bradshaw play minutes at the 4. Although he was a tough cookie and did a good job for someone of his stature, we don't want that again. I loved Bradshaw as a team player and leader, but I sure didn't wanna see him at the 4.

Who wants a team that can rebound and play good defense when you can play that unbelievable style VCU did last night?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

We really need 2 things for next years class, a big man with an offensive skill set & a pure shooter to spread out the defense. Right now all we have are athletic guards that cant shoot & big men that have no offense at all. When someone throws a zone at us it will hurt us alot. We will have very good PG play for the next few years with Golden & Jones, Ware can run point some also.

We really need 2 things for next years class, a big man with an offensive skill set & a pure shooter to spread out the defense. Right now all we have are athletic guards that cant shoot & big men that have no offense at all. When someone throws a zone at us it will hurt us alot. We will have very good PG play for the next few years with Golden & Jones, Ware can run point some also.

We don't really need anymore guards. Tatum, Jones, McBee, McRae and Golden will be no worse, and probably better as shooters than the last few Pearl teams from the guard position.

We don't really need anymore guards. Tatum, Jones, McBee, McRae and Golden will be no worse, and probably better as shooters than the last few Pearl teams from the guard position.

You really have faith in them being able to knock down the outside jumpshot on a consistent basis? You must have alot of faith. We miss a Jajuan Smith type player right now IMO.

You really have faith in them being able to knock down the outside jumpshot on a consistent basis? You must have alot of faith. We miss a Jajuan Smith type player right now IMO.

They'll make as many threes as this year's and last year's squad. As well as the year before that. Pearl has done just fine without an undersized lights out shooter logging 30 minutes a night and next year will be no different. Jones will more than makeup for Goins' outside shooting ability and McRae should be a Hopson type shooter. Getting a serviceable big man should be the only focus in closing out the '11 class. The '12 class will be pivotal though in getting a few guards and filling in any other holes.

VN Store

Back