Why We Must Do All We Can to Try and Have College Sports

Moderna's vaccine is going Phase 3 in July. If successful, we should have vaccines in production by year-end.

AstraZeneca also has one in development about to launch into phase 3. The vaccine horizon is looking better than originally thought imo

Any virus “mutates”. Remember, the is is COVID-19. The 19th known strain. You missed the entire point of my post. If we wait for an “effective” vaccine to go on with life, just hang it up. The issue with a viral vaccine is it relies on a healthy immune system to respond. The injected person’s immune system has to create the B cells, T cells and antibodies itself. Antibiotics don’t work because a virus is not alive. If a person’s immune system is compromised, NO viral vaccine will help them. The chunks of protein that are injected will just float around until finally expelled by the body.

Ok, this is just wrong, wrong, wrong. The 19 in covid-19 doesn't stand for the strain. It represents the year in which the disease was discovered - 2019. There are hundreds of different species of coronavirus. 6 have been present in humans for at least a few centuries and are responsible for some strains of the common cold. 3 are recent examples of zoonosis (crossing from animal species to humans): SARS, MERS, and SARS-Cov-2, which is the virus responsible for the current outbreak of covid-19 (which stands for coronavirus disease 2019)

As for the genetic stability of this particular strain, scientists have sampled the virus and mapped the genome repeatedly as it has spread through human populations. They have not found genetic mutations approaching anything close to the rate of change observed in influenza. The mutations that have been observed are akin to changing license plates on a car. As long as the make and model of the car doesn't change the vaccine will be reliable. Relatively Stable SARS-CoV-2 Genome Is Good News for a Vaccine

I think we’ll get started but won’t finish. Teams are dealing with outbreaks right now and generally those athletes will probably be fine.

As soon as you start having actual hospitalizations of a few college athletes then all college athletics will likely get shutdown across the board. Just too much liability.

Reactions: jakeaaal and tbh
Ok, this is just wrong, wrong, wrong. The 19 in covid-19 doesn't stand for the strain. It represents the year in which the disease was discovered - 2019. There are hundreds of different species of coronavirus. 6 have been present in humans for at least a few centuries and are responsible for some strains of the common cold. 3 are recent examples of zoonosis (crossing from animal species to humans): SARS, MERS, and SARS-Cov-2, which is the virus responsible for the current outbreak of covid-19 (which stands for coronavirus disease 2019)

As for the genetic stability of this particular strain, scientists have sampled the virus and mapped the genome repeatedly as it has spread through human populations. They have not found genetic mutations approaching anything close to the rate of change observed in influenza. The mutations that have been observed are akin to changing license plates on a car. As long as the make and model of the car doesn't change the vaccine will be reliable. Relatively Stable SARS-CoV-2 Genome Is Good News for a Vaccine
Thank you for the very informative response. I stand corrected. I do find it interesting that the virus appears to be a hybrid of the existing coronavirus and the previous SAHRS virus. Again, I appreciate the information. I am going to do a bit more research.

No students on campus in the fall = No football.

Students on campus in the fall = Maybe football, maybe not.

I want to see football this season but it's not up to me. Not up to any of us actually.

GBO

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
It is really an extreme overreaction not to have it when you consider that the mortality rate for people 49 and under, which would be the majority of the coaches and players is less than 1 in 1000.

Reactions: norrislakevol
It is really an extreme overreaction not to have it when you consider that the mortality rate for people 49 and under, which would be the majority of the coaches and players is less than 1 in 1000.
I get your point, but based on a 1 in 1000 mortality rate, that means close to 15 players/coaches would have to die in order to have football this fall. Plus that doesn’t include anyone else like refs, trainers, etc. that would be necessary to have the games.

Sports should come back. Look at the data people! Look at the data!

See how much as a posting nation we have matured. Two weeks ago, all the other mindless minions would have jumped on this post with a bunch of Oranj-Koolaid fermented "Yeah, nobody can tell us what to do." "Bring it on, forget about the scared sheeples, or "I'm with you bro, GBO!!!!!

Instead growed up men and womens responded with "Crickets".

Congratulatons.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
I believe it's more likely to have NFL than college football. It's going to be really hard to ask college players to play a game for free while everyone around them gets rich all while risking their health. Especially if the college campuses are not open for classes. On the other hand NFL players get paid and it's their job. Doesn't matter what anyone believes about the virus, it's here and it's happening.

This is what I don’t understand. We were told that we could only slow the spread in an effort to not overwhelm our healthcare system. This would indicate that you can’t stop it, you can only slow it down. Now it seems we are being told that we need to stop the spread, but that seems pretty much impossible, the goalposts have been moved. I guess it’s up to the folks that “control” the data ultimately, but just using common sense tells me if it’s okay to protest en masse, or have political rallies, then it’s okay to play football.

The goal posts always move and the narrative always changes. It's like sticking your foot in the water to see if it's cold before you dive in. Consider this in the broader context. Consider your other liberites. First, you agree to make concessions just for a little while. Then the politicians demonize you for wanting to get back to normal. Then they try to take your liberties because the coalition launches a smear campaign to tell everyone what's best for them. You've already shown them they can tell you what to do.

Truth is though, all it takes is one person dying on the football field to "COVID-19". Then they will blame football and go into panic about who else is infected eventhough there is risk of getting infected from just living a "normal" life.

Moderna's vaccine is going Phase 3 in July. If successful, we should have vaccines in production by year-end.
Safety trials take longer than that. Even when these will be fast tracked. I would think vaccines might start trickling out to the public by late spring 2021. If these are effective and safe.

Smallpox was not yet contained to a bottle in a laboratory and somehow Americans went to and played in college football games. Smallpox killed about 1 in 3 who got it. Covid-19 kills about 1 in a 1000 who gets it and we're canceling college football? The wussification of America is well past underway, we're full steam ahead to no balls town.

Any virus “mutates”. Remember, the is is COVID-19. The 19th known strain. You missed the entire point of my post. If we wait for an “effective” vaccine to go on with life, just hang it up. The issue with a viral vaccine is it relies on a healthy immune system to respond. The injected person’s immune system has to create the B cells, T cells and antibodies itself. Antibiotics don’t work because a virus is not alive. If a person’s immune system is compromised, NO viral vaccine will help them. The chunks of protein that are injected will just float around until finally expelled by the body.

The 19 in COVID-19 is the year it was discovered, not the 19th strain. Good Lord

Safety data is assessed in phase 2 of trials which are underway as we speak for several vaccines. Some are scheduled for phase 3 as early as later this summer. Not inconceivable that early Spring 2021 we could have one available for front line healthcare workers then the general population shortly after
Or not. Is there a vaccine for SARS?

I get your point, but based on a 1 in 1000 mortality rate, that means close to 15 players/coaches would have to die in order to have football this fall. Plus that doesn’t include anyone else like refs, trainers, etc. that would be necessary to have the games.
You are assuming literally everyone who plays and coaches will become positive which will not be the case and that no one will die if they don't play which is certainly not known and also unlikely. In any event the 1 in 1000 figure is considered to be the WORST case scenario by the CDC and it does not factor in the 35% of cases which are asymptomatic. So really it's 0.65 deaths per 1000. The BEST case is 1 in 5000, again before factoring in asymptomatic cases. My wife is a hospital nurse and both of my parents have had COVID-19 so I am certainly not belittling the disease but I think everyone is still in their minds wanting to make decisions based on the original assumptions about COVID-19 which assumed a virus 10 to 15 times more virulent than it has turned out to be. Here's where I am getting my figures btw: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Reactions: VolDave53
Pulling stuff out of your a$$ regarding the 19h strain. An embarrassing fail on your part. I would hide from this thread and all others on Volnation if I was you.

VN Store

Back