Why Volunteers?

Did you happen to know Tennessee is the Volunteer State? Tennessee had so many to volunteer for the early wars (including present time) that we earned that nickname.

The University of Tennessee, as the state's land grant university, draws the nickname of its athletic teams (Volunteers) from the name most associated with the state.

Tennessee acquired its name "The Volunteer State" in the early days of the nineteenth century in the War of 1812. At the request of President James Madison, Gen. Andrew Jackson, later President, mustered 1500 from his home state to fight the Indians and later the British at the Battle of New Orleans.

The name became even more prominent in the Mexican War when Gov. Aaron V. Brown issued a call for 2800 men to battle Santa Ana and some 30,000 Tennesseans volunteered. The dragoon uniform (left) worn by Tennessee regulars during that conflict is still seen adorning the color guard at UT athletic events.

The term "Volunteer State," as noted through these two events, recognizes the long-standing tendency of Tennesseans to go above and beyond the call of duty when their country calls. The name "Volunteers" is frequently shortened to "Vols" in describing Tennessee's athletic teams.

(from utsports.com)

Originally posted by 9296potsguy@May 16, 2005 4:33 PM
Did you happen to know Tennessee is the Volunteer State?  Tennessee had so many to volunteer for the early wars (including present time) that we earned that nickname.
[snapback]94735[/snapback]​

yes i did, i was wondering for what reason it was called that, which the other poster answered....learn something new every day :D

Why Gators? I mean, there ain't nothin but crocs down there. ;)

I guess someone in the athletic department figured that out, though, huh? LOL

Originally posted by orangetd88@May 16, 2005 4:40 PM
Why Gators?  I mean, there ain't nothin but crocs down there.  ;)

I guess someone in the athletic department figured that out, though, huh?  LOL
[snapback]94740[/snapback]​

youre post provided no logical insight or rational thought

however the cheerleader in your sig is insanely hott :worship:

Swamp don't you remember a few years back on your game program (or some other propaganda put out by UF) they used a photo of a Croc and not a Gator? That was so funny.

I remember that. I think it was the media guide in Zooks first year.

Originally posted by VolBeef88@May 16, 2005 6:04 PM
Swamp don't you remember a few years back on your game program (or some other propaganda put out by UF) they used a photo of a Croc and not a Gator? That was so funny.
[snapback]94785[/snapback]​

wasnt there, im not in G-ville

i dont doubt you, but atleast we can put something out there that atleast closely resembles our nickname, not have to make up some kind of mascot ;)

Now swamp that was a very poor come back. I know you can do better. That was really pretty lame. Try again now. I know your a gator/Croc fan but you can do it...

Originally posted by The Swamp@May 16, 2005 3:20 PM
just wondering what exactly the history behind the nickname volunteers is???
[snapback]94731[/snapback]​

:dlol: :dlol: :dlol: :dlol: :thefinger: :thefinger: :thefinger: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :lame:

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@May 16, 2005 8:13 PM
:dlol:  :dlol:  :dlol:  :dlol:  :thefinger:  :thefinger:  :thefinger:  :chair:  :chair:  :chair:  :chair:  :lame:
[snapback]94833[/snapback]​

:Bbiteme: .....i really dont see why you dont ever provide a logical response to any of my posts

It was Volunteers because "The worlds greatest team with the worlds greatest fans" was too long.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@May 16, 2005 10:04 PM
It was Volunteers because "The worlds greatest team with the worlds greatest fans" was too long.
[snapback]94909[/snapback]​

:laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:

good one :laugh1: :laugh1:

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ;)

I like that OWB. I knew it had to be something like that. :clap:

Originally posted by The Swamp@May 16, 2005 7:07 PM
:laugh1:  :laugh1:  :laugh1:  :laugh1:
good one :laugh1:  :laugh1:

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ;)
[snapback]94912[/snapback]​

There's a reason he's also known as Smarty Pants Pavarotti. :lol:

Originally posted by The Swamp@May 16, 2005 8:42 PM
:Bbiteme: .....i really dont see why you dont ever provide a logical response to any of my posts
[snapback]94897[/snapback]​

i dont understand why the hell u are still here. get lost.

i think i will just respond to all ur stuff now.

Your here just to get under our skin, not to have a conv with vol fans. And I for one wish you would leave. I really don't understand why you don't. I mean if the vols owning the swamp isn't enough salt in your wound you come on here on a daily basis to get insulted by vol fans. Swamp are you like a 10 year old kid or what? I know you like us here in Tennessee but go home to croc land, and if you miss us so much don't worry we will VOLUNTEER to cook some gators in a few months. And that is why we are called the VOLS.

Give Swamp a break. True, his choice of teams indicates some level of brain damage :lol:, but I think he's proving himself to be pretty grounded.

well, i can say only two people think that....1 checkerboard charly, who i havent read an intelligent post from him ever...and you, who, just b/c im a Gator fan, doesnt like me.......so far the count is at 2.....but i wont be like charles and leave b/c he cant handle talking to Gator, gimmie a break :rolleyes:

Originally posted by The Swamp@May 17, 2005 6:50 PM
well, i can say only two people think that....1 checkerboard charly, who i havent read an intelligent post from him ever...and you, who, just b/c im a Gator fan, doesnt like me.......so far the count is at 2.....but i wont be like charles and leave b/c he cant handle talking to Gator, gimmie a break :rolleyes:
[snapback]95337[/snapback]​

Don't worry about cheech, he is just bored since donsarge is gone and he has no one else to rip. I haven't got to say it yet but welcome to the board. Just don't be to dumb headed and start saying our team sucks and yours is better and blah blah blah.............

well you get the point. Hope to post with you alot on here.

VN Store

Back