Why not try Alexander on PJ Washington?

Honestly, I think one of the biggest mistakes this year is that they haven't play DJ Burns. I get they want to redshirt him, but this year is not normal, we're competing for an outright SEC Championship and at minimum should be an Elite 8 team. We have a lot of foul issues with our 3, 4, and 5 spot so we need depth and DJ could provide that help. He's a big guy and can bang with guys like Washington, can't be any worse than Fulkerson, and is an extra 5 fouls if needed. Burn the redshirt and get the kid some PT going into tournament time, I think it'll help us.

Better Idea,,,,,," Sweep The Leg!!"
I hate to be this guy but i totally got tired of seeing Grant Williams get leveled to the floor. I figured pay back evil for evil and send Derrick Walker in and foul as hard as he could for all 5 fouls he has and see if PJ Washington and his frame could keep getting up the way Grant did.

Honestly, I think one of the biggest mistakes this year is that they haven't play DJ Burns. I get they want to redshirt him, but this year is not normal, we're competing for an outright SEC Championship and at minimum should be an Elite 8 team. We have a lot of foul issues with our 3, 4, and 5 spot so we need depth and DJ could provide that help. He's a big guy and can bang with guys like Washington, can't be any worse than Fulkerson, and is an extra 5 fouls if needed. Burn the redshirt and get the kid some PT going into tournament time, I think it'll help us.

He re-classified, so he was probably 17 when he came in. If Derrick Walker can't get 8 minutes per night, do you think Burns could? He would be a DNP most nights, and I doubt he has developed enough to stand on the same block with PJ Washington or Reid Travis or even Naz Reid.

Reactions: cncchris33
Would be a total waste of a year for him. Woukd have been a disservice to the kid and Tennessee's future. No minutes to be had for a kid who should be a HS SR and needs to really work on his body and conditioning.

Would be a total waste of a year for him. Woukd have been a disservice to the kid and Tennessee's future. No minutes to be had for a kid who should be a HS SR and needs to really work on his body and conditioning.

You think he's worse than Fulkerson? And or Pons for that matter. I don't think either one of those guys are any good and we should've pushed to get DJ playing time. Obviously the coaches know more than us, but I think Burns can play in this league right now.

You think he's worse than Fulkerson? And or Pons for that matter. I don't think either one of those guys are any good and we should've pushed to get DJ playing time. Obviously the coaches know more than us, but I think Burns can play in this league right now.

Pons and Burns don't play the same position. Fulkerson is a high IQ player with limited scoring skills. But Barnes trusts him. He generally knows where to be on the court, and that's half the battle for coaches. Yes, a 17 year old who is not big enough yet could be worse than what we have already.

Yep, we finally started to get some rhythm and Admiral was heating up, and then we subbed everyone out and it went back to crap. Momentum got sucked out. Also, we got man handled at every position all game long. Barnyard rules game

My point is that he just isn't ready. Could he get out there and bang and pro ide sone fouls? Sure. But why waste a year of eligibility when he would, at best, see 5 mins/gm. Cost/reward benefit is nil.

Reactions: cardvolfan
And play Grant on Travis? Yeah Washington may shoot some 3s but it takes him off the block some. The 3 straight post ups on AS was not good strategy.

I don't think Alexander would last more than a few minutes trying to guard him. I'd say a foul a minute would be about right because I would almost bet the farm that Cal would go straight at Alexander the moment he saw him guarding Washington.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Burns wasn't even in High School shape when he came.

He couldn't play defense at all in this league at 270 to 290. Get him down to 240 and 2 years in the weight room and he'll be able to play.

But he will still have to play defense hard. We know he has offensive skills but he has never had to play defense like he will here..

He'll be a Soph before he sees over 10-15 minutes a game on a regular basis.

If he were ready Barnes would play him. He aint ready

In a weird way, Alexander is the key guy. The other main 7-8 come to play every night.

When Kyle is a no-show, as he was on Saturday, we aren't a great team.

Because he would foul out even quicker than he did the last time we played KY. Kyle just seemed lost the last few games. Making silly fouls and being out of position.

Barnes commented to his assistants they were not running our offense and he didnt know who he was watching. They played selfish for the first time. Honestly i think they played scared for the first time.

They may have been reading this board where half the people were sure we were going to lose. Hard for a coach to instill confidence when the fan base is pretty sure we are going to lose. Sadness.

They may have been reading this board where half the people were sure we were going to lose. Hard for a coach to instill confidence when the fan base is pretty sure we are going to lose. Sadness.
You never know. I had no idea who would win or lose this one. I just didnt expect a 2 sided affair. UK and REFS kicked our tail.

I've been a Barnes fan since long before UT and absolutely love the guy (still do so not a slam on Barnes in the least bit) but he made some errors in this game. If Tennessee was not going to match physical play with Kentucky, he should have gotten T'd up to try and set the tone to a more balanced whistle. Still, during the stretch in the first half, he should have called a timeout, maybe even two. Kentucky knocked down a few 3's, was getting nearly every 50/50 ball and dominating the glass. They were easily getting off screens and getting the shots they wanted. In a hostile environment like Rupp, Grant is the bread and butter to settle things down. He was so gassed, he was barely making it up the court and UT was settling for long contested shots. We weren't running sets or anything even close to our offense.. I think the lack luster effort carried over in the 2nd half and things got away quickly. If Barnes calls a timeout, settles things down, gives Grant a breather, we might develop confidence, momentum, whatever. Maybe it's reaching but this was the most important part of the game IMO. Either way, Barnes is a smart man and will adjust. I sure hope Kentucky strolls into TBA expecting the same Tennessee team they saw in Rupp.
Hindsight is always 20/20..

VN Store

Back