Why Lincoln Riley Bolted

College coaches and the programs they work for have slightly different interests. College coaches, like Riley, have incentive to win games. They have a stronger incentive to win than the people in the admin who run the program do. Their win/loss record determines their salary, if they get looked at for other jobs, etc. If Lincoln Riley starts winning less in the SEC, he gets fired and his reputation diminishes.

OU and Texas, even if they come into the SEC and stink, are going to make more money than they did in the Big 12, and the incentive for the admin people at these schools is to do things that bring in more money to the universities.

College coaches and the programs they work for have slightly different interests. College coaches, like Riley, have incentive to win games. They have a stronger incentive to win than the people in the admin who run the program do. Their win/loss record determines their salary, if they get looked at for other jobs, etc. If Lincoln Riley starts winning less in the SEC, he gets fired and his reputation diminishes.

OU and Texas, even if they come into the SEC and stink, are going to make more money than they did in the Big 12, and the incentive for the admin people at these schools is to do things that bring in more money to the universities.
Yeah, just look at Tennessee football the last decade. Stink, but fans still fill the stadium and the coffers

You’re overlooking the buyout money they get paid not to coach when they fail. There is no reason the highest paid public employee in a state should be an f’n football coach

He moved on to reset the expectations clock. Now he’s got years before he’s expected to compete for a national title.

Lesson for Vol fans:

"You can't recruit off tradition," Switzer said. "S---, 18-year-old kids don't give a damn about Bud Wilkinson(General Neyland), Barry Switzer(Johnny Majors), Bob Stoops(Phillip Fulmer). They don't know who the hell they were."
That’s right! But they do know Ben Franklin

Why? Crime? Higher Taxes? Politics that turned a great state into a disaster? Do tell, I’m intrigued

I lived in Arizona when I was 19 and drove to LA multiple times (at least 15 times). Would typically stay with friends in that area for a few days during each visit. Fun city with lots of cool things to do.

Why? Crime? Higher Taxes? Politics that turned a great state into a disaster? Do tell, I’m intrigued

Southern Cal is beautiful year round and with his salary he’s not gonna have to deal with high crime…and while taxes are high, his $10 million per year in Southern California will be enough to squeeze by…

And there's a couple more "he's scared" takes. Nevermind that every one of us would likely quit our job and move for $110 million lol.

110 million in LA is 55 million in Norman according to cost of living indices. Riley was making 8 million a year average for the next 4-5 years in Oklahoma. I don't think money was the main reason he bolted.

VN Store

Back