Why is Memphis Ranked WAY About Tennessee?

i don't know what they have coming back this year with the new coach, but I wouldn't have wanted to play them the last couple years.

Dumb take. Let them play our schedule and they wouldn't of even been 8-5 like we were last year.

BUT I will give credit to where it's due, they woulda beat GA State and probably BYU
BYU was the most random team last year. They won against us and then went on the road to beat USC and later Boise at home. But they also lost to Toledo, USF, and Hawaii

We’re more talented than Memphis, but they have a lot of key players back from last year’s Cotton Bowl appearance team.

If we played at the end of last season, I would’ve given it a tossup.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
Dumb take. Let them play our schedule and they wouldn't of even been 8-5 like we were last year.

BUT I will give credit to where it's due, they woulda beat GA State and probably BYU

Always love these interpretations. Same is true that had we played their schedule, we wouldn't have been 11-2 or whatever was their final record.

Reactions: FïreBall
Mumfuss STate

Comparing an apple to an Orange. Switch conferences and schedules every season and UT is playing for the AAC Championship. JG would excel in the AAC. Jennings would have been an All American. Even Butch Jones won with Cincy in that conference, but got boat raced by Dooley and the Vols. Memphis in the SECE wouldn't be pretty as their teams lack the depth, skill and size especially on defense to compete. It just a different level of football.

Lazy analysis. Some folks get enamored with wins, no matter if you’re playing in the league with the Little Sisters of the Poor. They certainly have improved the program but, in the SEC, they would have been a .500 team at best. Didn’t they barely beat a pitiful Ole Miss team 15-10 and what did Missouri do to them a couple of years ago? Obliterated them. They are what, 1 and 25 against us. Does that warrant them being considered the “best program” in the state? I think not. Programs gain respect over the long haul, not as a flash in the pan. Even though we’ve been in the pits for the last 10 years, I’m not sure they could have beaten us. I saw them with probably better teams than us when they had Lloyd Patterson and Keith Butler and they didn’t get the job done then.

Comparing an apple to an Orange. Switch conferences and schedules every season and UT is playing for the AAC Championship. JG would excel in the AAC. Jennings would have been an All American. Even Butch Jones won with Cincy in that conference, but got boat raced by Dooley and the Vols. Memphis in the SECE wouldn't be pretty as their teams lack the depth, skill and size especially on defense to compete. It just a different level of football.
. Bingo

Reactions: feathersax
Lazy analysis. Some folks get enamored with wins, no matter if you’re playing in the league with the Little Sisters of the Poor. They certainly have improved the program but, in the SEC, they would have been a .500 team at best. Didn’t they barely beat a pitiful Ole Miss team 15-10 and what did Missouri do to them a couple of years ago? Obliterated them. They are what, 1 and 25 against us. Does that warrant them being considered the “best program” in the state? I think not. Programs gain respect over the long haul, not as a flash in the pan. Even though we’ve been in the pits for the last 10 years, I’m not sure they could have beaten us. I saw them with probably better teams than us when they had Lloyd Patterson and Keith Butler and they didn’t get the job done then.
I can agree with this. TCU's Rose Bowl victory doesn't count because they were in the MTC when it happened???

VN Store

Back