Why is it that a fired HC doesn't get many second chances?

volberry

It happens a lot. A coach struggles at their job then gets fired. You hardly ever see them get recycled again at the top jobs. Coach O at LSU is just 1 of like 4 ever to have second chances. Are they put on a black list or something?

Reactions: SCRocket
Yeah I meant d1. And I also meant particularly power 5. Fired power 5 coaches never get hired again.
I'd need to see data that backs that up. Lots of coaches get second chances. Maybe not at D1 level immediately, but almost always eventually unless you are a real dumb@ss like Dooley. Even Butch will get another job once he's done mooching off UT.[/QUOT

Yeah I meant d1. And I also meant particularly power 5. Fired power 5 coaches never get hired again.

It happens a lot. A coach struggles at their job then gets fired. You hardly ever see them get recycled again at the top jobs. Coach O at LSU is just 1 of like 4 ever to have second chances. Are they put on a black list or something?

"There's only 2 types of coaches out there, them that's been farred and them that's bout to be farred"

- Bum Phillips

I'll take Butch. He'll never coach power 5 again. Neither will Dooley. Neither will Schianno except for Rutgers.

Yeah but not the type of caliber jobs they had before.
Well of course not. You can't fail at a major P5 job then just expect to roll into an even better job, especially immediately.

I think it's more common than you think. Coach O is definitely unique in the sense that he failed at a P5 job (not an elite P5 job, but still P5), got another chance at an elite P5 job later in his career, and so far has been wildly successful there. But there are a number of "recycled" coaches...Houston Nutt, Kiffin, Muschamp, and Bobby Petrino (not for on-field performance, but he was fired for something he did) are a few other names I haven't seen mentioned in the thread who got multiple chances at the P5 level. And coaches that flame out at big P5 jobs can absolutely get coordinator jobs somewhere provided there isn't a Baylor-type situation the coach was involved in.

I think it's becoming less and less common for a fired HC at a P5 school to get a second chance at a big name school due to the uprising of so many talented young coordinators getting hired. A few will still get second chances like mark richt and Mack Brown did but most that do really bad in their first or second stint as a HC have to work their way back through lower P5 teams and FCS.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Ogeron, Muschamp, Kiffin, Leach, just off the top of my head in the SEC alone. There is always a landing spot.

Cutcliffe, Miles, Sumlin, blah, blah, blah.

Last edited:
Reactions: k-town_king
I think it's becoming less and less common for a fired HC at a P5 school to get a second chance at a big name school due to the uprising of so many talented young coordinators getting hired. A few will still get second chances like mark richt and Mack Brown did but most that do really bad in their first or second stint as a HC have to work their way back through lower P5 teams and FCS.
Yep. Especially if the coach being fired is an older, tenured HC. Look at the route schools have gone down when a longtime HC leaves or is fired...Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Penn St (not really counting Bill O'Brien since that was always going to be a stopgap measure), Florida St. They all went after (or already had on staff) a young hot shot who was highly thought of as a tactical coach on either offense or defense.

Reactions: Dawgoutofwater
Houston Nutt got a second chance at another school in his own division no less. Charlie Strong keeps getting fired and rehired as well

If you’re still collecting a few mil because of a buyout and teams aren’t beating down your door to hire you then why not take some time off. It’s a super stressful job. I’m sure Butch could have his agent throw his name around for a group of 5 head coaching job and he would probably land somewhere.

Yeah but not the type o

f caliber jobs they had before.
Kiffen got left at the airport at USC now look at him
I'll take Butch. He'll never coach power 5 again. Neither will Dooley. Neither will Schianno except for Rutgers.
Dooley will get another shot eventually. Especially if he keeps getting NFL positions. Botch may have to wait a little longer but some unsuspecting fool will give him another shot as well

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2

VN Store

Back