Why is Bituli not projected as a 1-2 round pick???

Teams draft players in the first 3-4 rounds they expect to be impact players on the team from day 1. I love DB but he's probably a 1-2 down ILB right now given his limitations in the passing game. Upside players are typically back half of the draft or PFAs. To change this he needs to have upside on special teams and potential to grow into a 3 down ILB. His 4.8 will make teams nervous about both of those things. BUT, he is a high character high energy player which teams will love. We all know he's a stud but it's about production and team need at the next level. Unless there are concerns about the 16 or so players ranked ahead of him he will be available going into rounds 4+ (sadly). Bottom line he will get a shot, just won't be a top 2 rounder...... Hope I'm wrong!!!!!

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Just rewatched a few games from this season. Two conclusions:

1) if you're an NFL scout and Daniel Bituli isn't one of the top ILBs on your board, your an idiot.. I'd be real interested in hearing the thoughts of any GM when they compare some of the top ILB prospects to Bituli after watching the SC and KY games.....can anyone explain why he's not projected 1st round?

Legit Question: Al Wison is the greatest vol LB of my generation (born in 80'). Where is Bituli?

2) Jennings is capable of having a long NFL career.....probably with a franchise that prioritizes "football players" over 40 yd dash times....There are a few...Pittsburgh, NE, Baltimore come to mind..
He was a Lyle recruit, not knocking him by any means. He's to slow to be a NFL LB. DB showed alot of heart and toughness. He's a special team steal though. Head Hunter for sure.

Being dominant in a few SEC games against subpar competition doesnt get you drafted.

Injured and didn't play in 3....had 8 tackles in the first half against Alabama before being ejected for targeting. 8 against Vandy........guess the only way to impress you is to get 20 tackles, block punts, and stuff a 4.3 QB running sideline to sideline in every single game.......come on, get real...

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Injured and didn't play in 3....had 8 tackles in the first half against Alabama before being ejected for targeting. 8 against Vandy........guess the only way to impress you is to get 20 tackles, block punts, and stuff a 4.3 QB running sideline to sideline in every single game.......come on, get real...

Ok he was a 3 year starter and you have made a few examples. I like Bituli but he is nowhere near a 1-2 round LB. I think he will be lucky to get drafted. I hope he does go as high as you have said. Chances of that are very slim imo.

Reactions: keenobserver
Bituli struggles in pass coverage. Those 2 good games you mentioned were against poor QBs. I hope he gets drafted, but he will be a liability in the modern NFL. He could definitely carve out a spot on special teams.
This.

He (and Toots) ranked among the worst pass coverage LBs in the league last year.

Maybe Pruitt and staff are still coming around to coaching LBs vs rpos and such, but so far seems to be a weakness from that group.

Bituli struggles in pass coverage. Those 2 good games you mentioned were against poor QBs. I hope he gets drafted, but he will be a liability in the modern NFL. He could definitely carve out a spot on special teams.
Well ...he wasn't struggling when he pick-sixed Tua. Too slow? Well, he did run 97 yds and no bammer was able to catch him.

Reactions: keenobserver
Well ...he wasn't struggling when he pick-sixed Tua. Too slow? Well, he did run 97 yds and no bammer was able to catch him.

I think he ran that 97 yards in 11 seconds because Gaulden put up 2 fingers, I think he was signaling eleven but
I may be mis-remembering:cool:

Hey, I'm new this to this site. Have really enjoyed the back and forth on this thread... lots of good points. Diehard Penn State fan, but Tennessee has been my secondary team for the last 20 years...

I think all viewpoints on Bituli have probably been exhausted, but this conversation started with both Bituli and Jennings outlined. I'm more baffled by the lack of respect for Jennings... is it strictly speed-related? His physicality and build screams NFL receiver to me...

Hey, I'm new this to this site. Have really enjoyed the back and forth on this thread... lots of good points. Diehard Penn State fan, but Tennessee has been my secondary team for the last 20 years...

I think all viewpoints on Bituli have probably been exhausted, but this conversation started with both Bituli and Jennings outlined. I'm more baffled by the lack of respect for Jennings... is it strictly speed-related? His physicality and build screams NFL receiver to me...

@bamawriter , I'm guessing Jennings wont be a good receiver, right? A) he didn't play at Alabama B) he didn't run a good 40 yd dash.....

Reactions: Strange33
@bamawriter , I'm guessing Jennings wont be a good receiver, right? A) he didn't play at Alabama B) he didn't run a good 40 yd dash.....

I wouldn't agree with that. He's not fast, but he attacks the ball and is more than willing to fight for it in traffic. At the very least I think he's a solid possession receiver who could stick around the league for quite a while.

In another year he gets drafted higher. But this draft is crazy deep at WR. I still think he goes earlier than a lot of the pundits are saying.

That I'm not as high on Bituli doesn't mean I have some anti-UT bias.

Absolutely true. There are, however, 16+ LBs that can do that with more versatility according to the analyst on NFL.com. When you have a close call between players you take the one with better intangibles and that is where Bituli shines. Unfortunately he either doesn't have the elite athleticism NFL teams expect or, hopefully, just had a bad combine. He will get into a camp and, I believe, he will do well. No one is taking him in the top 4 rounds if at all. Stinks but its reality.

I don't care about his bench or speed. On game day, Bituli is a baller.

Hope the Titans take him in 5th round.

McKinney, Bama's touted safety is expected to go somewhere in the first round ran a 4.63 at the combine. Said he had an injury but was running anyway, so VN consensus is an ILB running about the same forty is slow??? Got it.

I think he is going to struggle to get separation from NFL defensive backs. He'll still be tough to handle on the slant routes. But, he will have to be more than a one-trick pony at that level.

However, he can play special teams. Therefore, he will be on a NFL roster whenever the season starts. I think both of them are 5th or 6th round picks. Taylor is first off board because he is quick for his position.

McKinney, Bama's touted safety is expected to go somewhere in the first round ran a 4.63 at the combine. Said he had an injury but was running anyway, so VN consensus is an ILB running about the same forty is slow??? Got it.

The only thing I know about Bama is that their coach is a midget.

But, Bituli doesn't have enough wiggle in his hips to play safety in the NFL.

No, an ILB running a 4.63 isn't slow. But Bituli didn't run anywhere close to a 4.63, so I'm not sure what your point is.

VN Store

Back