Why is Bituli not projected as a 1-2 round pick???

Couldn't disagree more...Dylan Moses is a better player, but there's not another LB on their roster better than DB....In fact, I guess bc they are young, their LBs as a whole were a glaring weakness...I know your a bamawriter, but let's not romanticize every Alabama player as automatically better than every Tennessee player simply bc they're on Alabama's roster...

I literally just said Bituli would have played over Harris or Lee. So I'm not pumping up Bama's entire roster. But there isn't even a remote chance he would have started over Moses or McMillon had they been healthy.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
You've pointed to two games against mediocre offenses. Your case is a tad light on detail.

Take the Bama shades off and you can youtube any TN game be honest with yourself, does this guy look slow? You dont have to admit it to the forum, but just yourself. Was Alabama's offense mediocre? Interestingly enough, I think he was playing his best game until Saban had seen enough and the refs kicked him out for hitting a player too hard....the case is overwhelming if you put the tape on....

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Take the Bama shades off and you can youtube any TN game be honest with yourself, does this guy look slow? You dont have to admit it to the forum, but just yourself. Was Alabama's offense mediocre? Interestingly enough, I think he was playing his best game until Saban had seen enough and the refs kicked him out for hitting a player too hard....the case is overwhelming if you put the tape on....

Bituli has yet to play a game I haven't seen. You've only mentioned two out of 35.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
If you don't understand 2 tenths of a second difference in the 40, then this may be a subject on which you should refrain from opining.

I'm not interested in your interpretation on what 40 time makes a ILB fast or not fast....You and I both know there are countless examples of players at every position that end up being great players without prototypical combine stats....This debate doesn't matter enough for me to visit the combine archives......

The core of the disagreement lies in the evaluation we each have given the player we're talking about by watching the games.....1-2 round I may concede being too high bc of how the league offenses have changed, but I'll bet there will be a team that prioritizes how he plays football on draft day more than how fast he runs a 40 yd dash and he'll be a productive NFL starter in less than 3 years...

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
I'm not interested in your interpretation on what 40 time makes a ILB fast or not fast....You and I both know there are countless examples of players at every position that end up being great players without prototypical combine stats....This debate doesn't matter enough for me to visit the combine archives......

The core of the disagreement lies in the evaluation we each have given the player we're talking about by watching the games.....1-2 round I may concede being too high bc of how the league offenses have changed, but I'll bet there will be a team that prioritizes how he plays football on draft day more than how fast he runs a 40 yd dash and he'll be a productive NFL starter in less than 3 years...

What do you mean by "prioritizes?" 3rd round? 4th?

1. Taylor
2. Warrior
3. Bituli

That's my order, I don't know which rounds.

Offensively
1. Callaway
2. Jennings
3. DWA

People always name the exception whenever somebody has a bad combine.

I’m not saying that Bituli can’t sign with somebody and maybe have a decent career. But it’s obvious why he’s not projected very high.
There are so many “exceptions” that they don’t fit the definition. An easy one is Orlando Brown Jr who had an exceptional college career, an historically bad Combine and so far an exceptional pro career. Cris Spielman borderline HOF career who didn’t do shorts very well. Bituli’s a beast who’s second contract will sport many zero’s in guaranteed money.

This is his draft profile from NFL.com.

Strengths
  • Throwback linebacker's build and demeanor
  • Muscular frame with long arms and rugged playing style
  • Field alpha gets his team lined up
  • Very strong with excellent contact balance
  • Keeps pads squared through the rep
  • Heavy hands to pop blockers who approach
  • Able to leverage the gap once he's there
  • Stopping power for runners looking to test him
  • Beats on tight ends releasing into routes
Weaknesses
  • Big but slow
  • Very limited range and leverage in pursuit
  • Below-average reactive athleticism
  • Needs runs headed downhill and right at him
  • Doesn't have recognition to stay ahead of the play design
  • Gets trapped behind blocks he shouldn't
  • Content to sit and read rather than trigger to fill
  • Slides off tackles when feet stop moving
  • Wide base diminishes transitions in coverage

Those negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion

GMs are so enamored with measurables. They seem to value that over production. Best of my recollection Bituli's measurables shouldn't be an issue. As cliche as it sounds, he's going to make someone sorry they passed on Him. I wouldn't be surprised if he had an Al Wilson type NFL career. The same for Jennings. Just go watch the tape on these guys.

You would probably be surprised at the amount of people in collegiate and professional sports as well as other business disciplines that will look you or a stadium full of people dead in the eye and tell you if it can't be measured it doesn't matter. I don't necessarily agree with that BUT that mindset is out there and in my experience prevalent these days. How may times just during this virus thingy have you heard "we don't have the data" for example?

I love Butuli but I couldn’t draft him in 1 or 2nd round. He’s a player thou who with the right team could be a long term player. Needs to be in NFL East, North or AFC North. Physical divisions.

Reactions: keenobserver
Just rewatched a few games from this season. Two conclusions:

1) if you're an NFL scout and Daniel Bituli isn't one of the top ILBs on your board, your an idiot.. I'd be real interested in hearing the thoughts of any GM when they compare some of the top ILB prospects to Bituli after watching the SC and KY games.....can anyone explain why he's not projected 1st round?

Legit Question: Al Wison is the greatest vol LB of my generation (born in 80'). Where is Bituli?

2) Jennings is capable of having a long NFL career.....probably with a franchise that prioritizes "football players" over 40 yd dash times....There are a few...Pittsburgh, NE, Baltimore come to mind..

He’s a little slow and not great in coverage. Those two factors would be my guess.

I have no doubts about his tackling, leadership and work ethic. If he gets a shot with a team I think he’s capable of making a roster.

Reactions: keenobserver
If it were 10+ years ago his prospects in the NFL would’ve been much better. Right now his deficiencies in coverage are going to get him since the LB position is so often required to cover a TE, RB out of the backfield or spy an athletic QB. You don’t have the ground and pound offenses anymore where a guy like DB would shine. With this though I could see him being a Free Agent that would generate some good preseason buzz on the right team. The kid does have great leadership skills and football IQ that’ll make him a great field commander that GMs will covet. With a little better play recognition he sure could be one to make an NFL roster and turn into an effective LB.

I foresee him and Warrior being UDFAs and whoever gets Warrior is getting an absolute steal! Dude is nowhere near his ceiling yet and was highly effective in the last several weeks of the season.

Reactions: savannahfan
If it were 10+ years ago his prospects in the NFL would’ve been much better. Right now his deficiencies in coverage are going to get him since the LB position is so often required to cover a TE, RB out of the backfield or spy an athletic QB. You don’t have the ground and pound offenses anymore where a guy like DB would shine. With this though I could see him being a Free Agent that would generate some good preseason buzz on the right team. The kid does have great leadership skills and football IQ that’ll make him a great field commander that GMs will covet. With a little better play recognition he sure could be one to make an NFL roster and turn into an effective LB.

I foresee him and Warrior being UDFAs and whoever gets Warrior is getting an absolute steal! Dude is nowhere near his ceiling yet and was highly effective in the last several weeks of the season.
Bituli’s a beast. That shines through.

Bituli is an NFL LB.
Didn't test well at the Combine. Surprising.

He never took over games, but the defense was not nearly as efficient without him.
I think he's a career backup that will play a lot. 10 year NFL career but never making a Pro Bowl

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Bituli is marginal NFL talent. His lack of burst and rundown speed hurt. Will not be able to cover slots, or top TE, or RBS in the flat. Can he tackle. Absolutely. Can he hit a gap on a line play. Yes. Is he a good leader and knows positional assignments. Yes. So can most to LBs. They can also run with most TEs, can accelerate to the flat and prevent the RB from getting loose, and they can zone cover the slot guy. He won't be a majority snap player, situational, backup and special teams are his best bet. We all saw HTT this year beside him. Athletically superior. That's the kind of player at Alabama, and in the NFL. There are dozens of them out there on rosters already and more coming up the pipe. DB is a 90s fit, stuffing the run first, run second and run third offenses. If he proves me wrong, great. I'm happy for him and will cheer him just as much as I will cheer him the more probable way. As a great young man with character and a representative of the University. None of your arguments will change my opinion.

VN Store

Back