Why Geno outdid Pat.

Keeping this place alive one great post at a time.... lol
CPR for the Lady Vol forum...
cat-cpr-gif-3.gif

That's more social than political. If anything I said is untrue feel free to prove me wrong. If not, then get bent.

Which Pat Summitt are you referring to? The Pat Summit who coached the Lady vols did not ascribe to these purported views:

“I think women should help women,” she said.

“I wouldn’t want people to think I looked at the men’s game as a step up.”

CPS could have coached the men's team

Which Pat Summitt are you referring to? The Pat Summit who coached the Lady vols did not ascribe to these purported views:

“I think women should help women,” she said.

“I wouldn’t want people to think I looked at the men’s game as a step up.”

CPS could have coached the men's team
Neither of those quotes contradict what Pat said and there is mountains of audio to back me up. Pat knowing men were superior athletically didn’t mean she looked at the men’s game as a step up.

Women should help women? Ok. WTF does that have to do with what I posted.

Pat was a great coach. Could she have coaches men? Perhaps. I don’t think she would have had near the success.

Reactions: volnationnj
Neither of those quotes contradict what Pat said and there is mountains of audio to back me up. Pat knowing men were superior athletically didn’t mean she looked at the men’s game as a step up.

Women should help women? Ok. WTF does that have to do with what I posted.

Pat was a great coach. Could she have coaches men? Perhaps. I don’t think she would have had near the success.

I am sure there is a "mountain of audio" stored in your imagination. Pat just didn't make those kind of comparisons. She was an embodiment of 2nd wave feminism and the idea that women and men should have equal opportunities in life. It was not important to her that an elite male ball player could out jump an elite woman player and she certainly did not make global claims about the psychology of women or men; rather, she argued that you had to treat each person as an individual.

A guy raised his hand and asked if I had any advice when it came to “coaching women.” I remember leveling him with a death ray stare and then relaxing and curling up the corner of my mouth and saying, “Don’t worry about coaching ‘women.’ Just go home and coach ‘basketball.’ ”
― Pat Summitt, Sum It Up: A Thousand and Ninety-Eight Victories, a Couple of Irrelevant Losses, and a Life in Perspective

"To players who express an interest in becoming a basketball coach, Tennessee's Pat Summitt offers a simple piece of advice: major in psychology.
''I wish I had,'' she said last week. ''Because you're always trying to figure out the best way to motivate each individual.'' Source:
"Summitt Uses Psychology, but With Some Fizz," NYT 2009 (A cool story about her recruitment of Candace Parker)

Sorry you don't get to "re-invent" Pat Summit's legacy so that it fits your ideological preferences.

My philosophy is that coaches don't win games. Players win games. I heard Geno say that one of the criticisms of him is that he can only win when he has the best player in the country. His response was 'Of course. that's what you are supposed to do.' How many Championships would Geno have won without Diana, Sue, Maya, Stewie. Probably the same as Kim Mulkey without Griner, Brown and Cox. How many would Pat have won without Tamika or Candace. Does Dawn stand a chance without Aja? How good is Muffet without Ruth Riley or Arike? Tara had Jennifer Azzi and Molly Goldenbour.

As a solid UConn fan and lover of basketball, It is the indisputable fact that Pat is the greatest of all time. Will she always have the most wins, no. She was pure class and a real life Steel Magnolia. I do not hear any UConn fans denigrate her. I'm not saying no one does because there are lunatics in every crowd.

My point is this, I know everyone associated with UT (and really of of basketball) wants to keep the legacy of Pat alive. Then I encourage you to remember who she was and how she lived her life. The fact is you do not build up Pat by tearing down Geno or any other coach. You actually diminish what you are trying to do by dragging Pat's name into petty arguments that are beneath her. Coaches will continue to win championships and add numbers to their win totals but there will always be only one Pat Summitt and it is much better to celebrate that then to try to make her legacy alive by tearing down someone else. If she could hear you now, she would think that we are all a bunch of fools.

I am sure there is a "mountain of audio" stored in your imagination. Pat just didn't make those kind of comparisons. She was an embodiment of 2nd wave feminism and the idea that women and men should have equal opportunities in life. It was not important to her that an elite male ball player could out jump an elite woman player and she certainly did not make global claims about the psychology of women or men; rather, she argued that you had to treat each person as an individual.

A guy raised his hand and asked if I had any advice when it came to “coaching women.” I remember leveling him with a death ray stare and then relaxing and curling up the corner of my mouth and saying, “Don’t worry about coaching ‘women.’ Just go home and coach ‘basketball.’ ”
― Pat Summitt, Sum It Up: A Thousand and Ninety-Eight Victories, a Couple of Irrelevant Losses, and a Life in Perspective

"To players who express an interest in becoming a basketball coach, Tennessee's Pat Summitt offers a simple piece of advice: major in psychology.
''I wish I had,'' she said last week. ''Because you're always trying to figure out the best way to motivate each individual.'' Source:
"Summitt Uses Psychology, but With Some Fizz," NYT 2009 (A cool story about her recruitment of Candace Parker)

Sorry you don't get to "re-invent" Pat Summit's legacy so that it fits your ideological preferences.
Great, now you’re calling me a liar.
She absolutely did. She wasn’t the least bit afraid to acknowledge where the money came from, or the differences in the physical and mental aspects of the game. Being one of the first, if not the first, to use men in her practices shows this. She specifically spoke to the differences of dealing with girls from emotional perspectives. She commented on this stuff often and is probably why you are ought on an island trying to contradict me.

If you can manipulate a keyboard and name yourself PointGuard, do you think Volnation is the appropriate message board to dupe members into believing emotion-driven propaganda?

Auriemma will never have the Baden's that Summitt had.

and so you reply with emotion after you manipulate the keyboard after naming yourself putback?

Last edited:
Reactions: gule
and so you reply with emotion after you manipulate the keyboard after naming yourself putback?

For sure after condescending remarks as these:

If you hire Harry Paretta as a consultant for Offense I think you are acknowledging your offensive schemes are lacking and in need of an overhaul.

If you hire an offensive coach whose m.o. is a 3 ball offense, period, did you hire the correct consultant?

What have you done to critique their accomplishments?

Some of the posts in these threads were inaccurately portraying Summitt as a stubborn dictator of defense and rebounding only and resistant to offensive change and innovation. I supplied those two examples as evidence contrary to what those posters assume—that the game passed her by because she couldn’t or wouldn’t grow offensively.

Learning offense isn’t just about scoring points. It’s about running systems....sets...screening action....spacing.....It’s about timing, attacking and utilizing angles effectively.

I think Perretta and Jackson were good sources to consult to learn more offense and add to her repertoire.

Here's another fact,
it began with Pat

Before her, women's sports were not taken seriously,,no title IX,, No equality
Without her whole body of work his accomplishments would have meant little

That stare
pat_summitt.0.jpg
Read this over one hundred times and stare at the photo one hundred time more. Geno ain't s"-$#@.
Sorry , this thread is full of the same.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
This is what Geno’s daughter wrote about Pat (maybe he’s not so bad to have raised his daughter to have written this).

It's a valid point no matter who said it. That it comes from Geno Auriemma's daughter makes it even more meaningful.

"I would be the world's most ungrateful, insipid, spoiled, solipsistic idiot if I didn't recognize the importance of this woman in the women's rights movement and the game of basketball as a whole," Alysa wrote. "Women's basketball as an institution would be NOTHING without that woman, and I don't think hyperbole exists in this situation.

"Everything my father has done in the world of womens' basketball, Pat Summitt did it first. It's like that episode of South Park "Simpsons Already Did It." Pat Summitt is The Simpsons in this corollary. (Sentences I never thought I'd say.) She got a 39-0 season before UConn did, she got a Championship 3Peat before UConn did, she got the best recruits before UConn did. And she did it with grace and a sense of dignity that you cannot argue."

Geno Auriemma’s daughter writes a heartfelt tribute to Pat Summitt
Damn Skippy. I'm in tears . South Park Geno ,and Pat Simpson. Case closed.

This is Geno's thread, and I said I would give it to gule to run with it
Sorry gule, hopefully this thread can get back to its intent

For sure after condescending remarks as these:

If you hire Harry Paretta as a consultant for Offense I think you are acknowledging your offensive schemes are lacking and in need of an overhaul.

If you hire an offensive coach whose m.o. is a 3 ball offense, period, did you hire the correct consultant?

What have you done to critique their accomplishments?

Some of the posts in these threads were inaccurately portraying Summitt as a stubborn dictator of defense and rebounding only and resistant to offensive change and innovation. I supplied those two examples as evidence contrary to what those posters assume—that the game passed her by because she couldn’t or wouldn’t grow offensively.

Learning offense isn’t just about scoring points. It’s about running systems....sets...screening action....spacing.....It’s about timing, attacking and utilizing angles effectively.

I think Perretta and Jackson were good sources to consult to learn more offense and add to her repertoire.

Offense is about scoring a minimum of 1 point more than your defense permits the other team to score. That offense is comprised of a lot of facets and components as you point up. And offense limited to 3 pointers isn’t much of an offense

Reactions: Dube
Like Pat?
U think Pat had the best players in Chamique's Freshman year and Abby's Senior year, when they lost 10 games ? I don't and think that was probably her best job ever coaching. Has Geno ever won a championship with 10 losses or even 7 ? I don't know, but I doubt it. I think u are just a punk/sh!t starter and probably need to become a UConn fan, if u are even a Lady Vol's fan

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
U think Pat had the best players in Chamique's Freshman year and Abby's Senior year, when they lost 10 games ? I don't and think that was probably her best job ever coaching. Has Geno ever won a championship with 10 losses or even 7 ? I don't know, but I doubt it. I think u are just a punk/sh!t starter and probably need to become a UConn fan, if u are even a Lady Vol's fan

It was Holdsclaw‘s sophomore season.

I don’t know if they had the best players up and down the roster but Holdsclaw was probably the best player in the country. Add in Kyla Elzy, Abby Conklin, Kellie Jolly, Nya Butts and Pashen Thompson and that is a pretty strong rotation.

Geno never won with 7 losses. He did with 4.

Tennessee lost 7 of those games before Jolly was back and in the starting lineup. It’s hard to win games without your point guard.

It was a great job by Pat to win the whole thing, but lets not understate What she had to work with. It’s more likely they underachieved early in the season than they overachieved later in the season.

Reactions: The Dog
U are exactly right, it was Holdsclaw soph. year, still think it was Pat's best coaching job, tho

VN Store

Back