Why Geno outdid Pat.

No one is a bigger fan of CPS than me especially from the viewpoint of what she did and paved the way for young women. She put WCBB on the map no question. Me personally I feel that certain fans diminish CPS by exaggerating some facts with emotional driven non facts. The simple Fact is The game moved beyond “ defense and rebounds” and Pat did not. That is not a slam at her. It is a factual reality.

For those who always want to make
These discussions between Geno and Pat I am of the opinion that is a mistake. Consider Stanford. It’s hard to define a better coach when all aspects of offense, defense and in-game adjustments are considered. She does it without All Americans

I feel we should let go of emotional response and present facts

Summitt always pursued professional growth, especially on offense. She spent time one offseason learning offense from Harry Perretta at Villanova. Another offseason, she traveled to Chicago to study and learn the Bulls’ triangle offense. She was always becoming. And she wasn’t finished getting better either when she succumbed to the foe that no one has conquered: Alzheimer’s.

This is what Geno’s daughter wrote about Pat (maybe he’s not so bad to have raised his daughter to have written this).

It's a valid point no matter who said it. That it comes from Geno Auriemma's daughter makes it even more meaningful.

"I would be the world's most ungrateful, insipid, spoiled, solipsistic idiot if I didn't recognize the importance of this woman in the women's rights movement and the game of basketball as a whole," Alysa wrote. "Women's basketball as an institution would be NOTHING without that woman, and I don't think hyperbole exists in this situation.

"Everything my father has done in the world of womens' basketball, Pat Summitt did it first. It's like that episode of South Park "Simpsons Already Did It." Pat Summitt is The Simpsons in this corollary. (Sentences I never thought I'd say.) She got a 39-0 season before UConn did, she got a Championship 3Peat before UConn did, she got the best recruits before UConn did. And she did it with grace and a sense of dignity that you cannot argue."

Geno Auriemma’s daughter writes a heartfelt tribute to Pat Summitt

No I didn’t. Atlantic 10 programs are resourced.
“Geno teaches O and D equally where Pat put her emphasis on D mostly. And it shows with our current and previous coach.”

He was specifically talking about the Tennessee program and how Warlick and Harper coach in a defense first style, not the success of the teams.

However, if you are trying to compare resources for women’s basketball between Tennessee, UConn and GW, you are fighting a losing battle.

Reactions: Dube
This is what Geno’s daughter wrote about Pat (maybe he’s not so bad to have raised his daughter to have written this).

It's a valid point no matter who said it. That it comes from Geno Auriemma's daughter makes it even more meaningful.

"I would be the world's most ungrateful, insipid, spoiled, solipsistic idiot if I didn't recognize the importance of this woman in the women's rights movement and the game of basketball as a whole," Alysa wrote. "Women's basketball as an institution would be NOTHING without that woman, and I don't think hyperbole exists in this situation.

"Everything my father has done in the world of womens' basketball, Pat Summitt did it first. It's like that episode of South Park "Simpsons Already Did It." Pat Summitt is The Simpsons in this corollary. (Sentences I never thought I'd say.) She got a 39-0 season before UConn did, she got a Championship 3Peat before UConn did, she got the best recruits before UConn did. And she did it with grace and a sense of dignity that you cannot argue."

Geno Auriemma’s daughter writes a heartfelt tribute to Pat Summitt

giphy.gif

No one is a bigger fan of CPS than me especially from the viewpoint of what she did and paved the way for young women. She put WCBB on the map no question. Me personally I feel that certain fans diminish CPS by exaggerating some facts with emotional driven non facts. The simple Fact is The game moved beyond “ defense and rebounds” and Pat did not. That is not a slam at her. It is a factual reality.

These discussions between Geno and Pat I am of the opinion that is a mistake. Consider Stanford. It’s hard to define a better coach when all aspects of offense, defense and in-game adjustments are considered. She does it without All Americans

I feel we should let go of emotional response and present facts

Yes, emotions do complicate these assessments.

But, one fact to consider. When the LVs had a long championship drought between the Meek years and the CP3's final two seasons, there was a LOT of talk that the game had passed her by. This was back in the days when ESPN had a chat board for WCBB and except for hardcore Tennessee fans, Pat's time had passed.

Well, back-to-back championships changed that talk.

2.Had CPS not been stricken, her track record suggest that she would have figured how to win in the current environment. She adapted way more than people often give her credit for; she went from abhorring the 3pt shot to finding the best perimeter threads in the county, Zolman, Lawson, Bjorklund, etc.

3. It is an emotional issue for many because CPS was taken away from the game and life by an atrocious disease AND the OP knows that but he loves to troll. My guess is that this post is all some convoluted way to take a dig at Kellie.

4. But, the idea of "out doing Pat" begs the question on what specific dimensions? With the caveat that will never know what might have been, Geno has more championships and is on track to pass her in total wins.

But we can judge a coach on other dimensions: who had more impact on the game; who inspired more people; who created a greater coaching tree?

When all is said and done, would you rather be remembered for Geno's legacy or Pat's? Personally, I will take CPS any day.

Last edited:
“Geno teaches O and D equally where Pat put her emphasis on D mostly. And it shows with our current and previous coach.”

He was specifically talking about the Tennessee program and how Warlick and Harper coach in a defense first style, not the success of the teams.

However, if you are trying to compare resources for women’s basketball between Tennessee, UConn and GW, you are fighting a losing battle.

First, I don’t agree that the “current and previous coach” are putting an emphasis on D anything like Pat did. And the offensive structure and security are no semblance.

So if the poster were linking Pat to the approaches and results of her former player’s as coaches, then we might apply the same concept to Auriemma’s proteges. It’s unrealistic. But you can’t make that faulty attribution in one circumstance and not the other.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
First, I don’t agree that the “current and previous coach” are putting an emphasis on D anything like Pat did. And the offensive structure and security are no semblance.

So if the poster were linking Pat to the approaches and results of her former player’s as coaches, then we might apply the same concept to Auriemma’s proteges. It’s unrealistic. But you can’t make that faulty attribution in one circumstance and not the other.

And again you ignore the resourcing discrepancies.

Out did her at what? He passed her in championships only after she left game. But, to answer you insightful post. Cheated, cheated, told parents she was a lesbian, paid players, and really surprised he hasn't claimed national championship for this season.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Yes, emotions do complicate these assessments.

But, one fact to consider. When the LVs had a long championship drought between the Meek years and the CP3's final two seasons, there was a LOT of talk that the game had passed her by. This was back in the days when ESPN had a chat board for WCBB and except for hardcore Tennessee fans, Pat's time had passed.

Well, back-to-back championships changed that talk.

2.Had CPS not been stricken, her track record suggest that she would have figured how to win in the current environment. She adapted way more than people often give her credit for; she went from abhorring the 3pt shot to finding the best perimeter threads in the county, Zolman, Lawson, Bjorklund, etc.

3. It is an emotional issue for many because CPS was taken away from the game and life by an atrocious disease so and the OP knows that as well but he loves to troll. My guess is that this all some convoluted way to take a dig at Kellie.

4. But, the idea of "out doing Pat" begs the question on what specific dimensions? With the caveat that will never know what might have been, Geno has more championships and is on track to pass her in total wins.

But we can judge a coach on other dimensions: who had more impact on the game; who inspired more people; who created a greater coaching tree?

When all is said and done, would you rather be remembered for Geno's legacy or Pat's? Personally, I will take CPS any day.

Those UConn idiots on the ESPN board saying the "game passed Pat by" were saying so on the basis of "only" reaching 3 championship games, 2 FFs, 2 E8 and 1 S16 in the 8 years between championships. They are singing a different tune now that UConn is on a 3+ year drought. She may not have been taking home first place, but she was right there in the running.

And no telling how the course of events would have changed had Maya Moore gone to Tennessee and not CT.

Oh no....Don't go there......It is the argument that has no end....That name is like Helen of Troy around here.
giphy.gif

S
Between Tennessee and GW?

better facilities.
bigger budget.
Team history to influence top players

So Auriemma’s coaching didn’t prepare Rizzotti to overcome financial adversities she might face coaching at a Div. I school?

Auriemma didn’t prepare her to coach at a Power 5 school within the first 15 years of her profession?

He failed.

Sound ridiculous? It is.

That’s not the point in this thread.

Reactions: krichunaka

Stanford does it without All-Americans? Really?

And for all Vanderveer's genius, she hasn't won a title since 92....

VN Store

Back