Why Geno outdid Pat.

Coach, please don't ask our friend gule to go jump in the lake....He may do it.
giphy.gif

To outcoach them you have to outthink them.
To outthink them you have to make them counter your move by dictating their move and the game
I knew a thread started like this would turn to a pro-Pat thread

I'm a coach GT and a damn good one
Maybe I will get my chance to show it to the LV org at some point

He's definitely outdone Pat because she went way too soon, but let's look at the time that their tenures overlapped...1985-2012. Geno won 7 national titles, Summit won 8.

These type threads tend to be responded to emotionally rather than factually. Here is the FACT about NC’s. We played in 4 NC games together. Result. UCONN 4 Lady Vols 0

Emotional based threads seldom turn out as desired because those that are sticklers for facts correct with facts. Gule was 100% correct. It should have ended that way. His facts were facts. It doesn’t make him a bad fan. Since when is honesty wrong?

These type threads tend to be responded to emotionally rather than factually. Here is the FACT about NC’s. We played in 4 NC games together. Result. UCONN 4 Lady Vols 0

Emotional based threads seldom turn out as desired because those that are sticklers for facts correct with facts. Gule was 100% correct. It should have ended that way. His facts were facts. It doesn’t make him a bad fan. Since when is honesty wrong?

It wasn't what he said, it was where he said it

Here's another fact,
it began with Pat

Before her, women's sports were not taken seriously,,no title IX,, No equality
Without her whole body of work his accomplishments would have meant little

That stare
pat_summitt.0.jpg

So? There were other years where UConn didn't make the final, but Tennessee won it all. Do those not count? Gule actually gave an opinion in those 3 opening posts, not facts, by the way. It's a fact that during the time their tenures overlapped, Summit won more titles than Geno. No emotion in that at all. I don't even particularly care for Lady Vols basketball or women's basketball generally. I came into this forum simply because the latest post was in this thread and the title "Why Geno outdid Pat" sounded like an interesting debate. Plus there's nothing else going on in the sports world at the moment.

Geno has gone on to ultimately be a more successful coach than her, and honestly probably would still have more titles than her even if Summit was still around and coaching. So yes, he ultimately did "outdo" her I suppose. But given what happened, it seems most relevant to compare them during the time their tenures overlapped.

Besides, Summit will ultimately be remembered not necessarily for how many games or championships she won but because she made women's basketball a "thing." It was a non-sanctioned, basically intramural sport nobody paid attention to when she first got in the game.

Limiting the criteria for GOAT to 4 head-to-head NC matchups is very subjective.
(GOAT was the initial contention.)

And no one asserted anywhere that honesty was wrong. That’s an emotional statement.

also, Pat in her full capacity grew with the game.
In her latter years, she didn't have the capacity to do so.
I can;t find Geno's coaching tree
But here's Pat's

Pat's coaching tree:
Jody AdamsAssistant CoachSouthern IllinoisPlayer1989–93[90]
Jane AlbrightHead coachNevadaGraduate assistant1981–83[91]
Greg BrownHead coachLipscombGraduate assistant Assistant2002–04[91]
Niya ButtsAssistant coachKentuckyPlayer1993–1997[92]
Tasha ButtsAssistant coachLSUPlayer2000–2004
Daedra CharlesAssistant coachTennesseePlayer1988–91
Abby ConklinAssistant coachUniversity of San FranciscoPlayer1993–97[90]
Nancy DarschAssistant coachSeattle Storm (WNBA)Assistant1978–85[91]
Mickie DeMossDirector of Offensive AnalyticsVanderbiltAssistant Assoc. Head Coach1985–2003 2010–12[91]
Nikki FargasHead coachLSUPlayer Assistant1990–94 2003–08[91]
Tonya EdwardsAssistant CoachLos Angeles Sparks (WNBA)Player1986–90[90]
Kyra ElzyAssoc. Head CoachKentuckyPlayer1996–2001[93]
Sharon Fanning-OtisHead coachMississippi StateGraduate assistant1975–76[90]
Stephanie GlanceHead coachColumbiaAssistant2009–10[90]
Bridgette GordonAssistant coachTennesseePlayer1985–89[94]
Tanya HaaveHead coachMetropolitan StatePlayer1980–84[90]
Kellie HarperHead coachTennesseePlayer1995–99[90]
Sylvia HatchellHead coachNorth CarolinaGraduate assistant1974–75[90]
Lea HenryHead coachGeorgia StatePlayer1979–83[90]
Gwen JacksonHead coachSt. Paul's (VA)Player1999–2003[90]
Angela LawsonSenior Associate Director of AthleticsIncarnate WordGraduate assistant1989–91[90]
Michelle MarciniakAssistant coachSouth CarolinaPlayer1994–96[95]
Nikki McCrayHead coachOld DominionPlayer1991–95[90]
Carla McGheeDirector Of Basketball OperationsNevada RenoPlayer1986–90[96]
Matthew MitchellHead coachKentuckyGraduate assistant1999–2000[90]
Carolyn PeckAssoc. head coachVanderbiltAssistant1993–95[91]
Shalon PillowAssistant coachMiddle TennesseePlayer1998–2002[97]
Semeka RandallAssistant coachWright StatePlayer1997–2001[90]
Jill RankinAssistant coachTexasPlayer1979–80[98]
Trish RobertsHead coachAgnes ScottPlayer1976–77[91]
Joy ScruggsHead Coach/LecturerEmory & Henry CollegePlayer1971-75
Tyler SummittHead coachLouisiana TechSon Practice squad player2010–12[91]
Heidi VanDerveerHead coachU.C. San DiegoGraduate assistant1986–88[90]
Holly WarlickHead coachTennesseePlayer Assistant1976–80 1985–2012[99]

anyone want to list Geno's?

So? There were other years where UConn didn't make the final, but Tennessee won it all. Do those not count? Gule actually gave an opinion in those 3 opening posts, not facts, by the way. It's a fact that during the time their tenures overlapped, Summit won more titles than Geno. No emotion in that at all. I don't even particularly care for Lady Vols basketball or women's basketball generally. I came into this forum simply because the latest post was in this thread and the title "Why Geno outdid Pat" sounded like an interesting debate. Plus there's nothing else going on in the sports world at the moment.

Geno has gone on to ultimately be a more successful coach than her, and honestly probably would still have more titles than her even if Summit was still around and coaching. So yes, he ultimately did "outdo" her I suppose. But given what happened, it seems most relevant to compare them during the time their tenures overlapped.

Besides, Summit will ultimately be remembered not necessarily for how many games or championships she won but because she made women's basketball a "thing." It was a non-sanctioned, basically intramural sport nobody paid attention to when she first got in the game.

No one is a bigger fan of CPS than me especially from the viewpoint of what she did and paved the way for young women. She put WCBB on the map no question. Me personally I feel that certain fans diminish CPS by exaggerating some facts with emotional driven non facts. The simple Fact is The game moved beyond “ defense and rebounds” and Pat did not. That is not a slam at her. It is a factual reality.

For those who always want to make
These discussions between Geno and Pat I am of the opinion that is a mistake. Consider Stanford. It’s hard to define a better coach when all aspects of offense, defense and in-game adjustments are considered. She does it without All Americans

I feel we should let go of emotional response and present facts

Limiting the criteria for GOAT to 4 head-to-head NC matchups is very subjective.
(GOAT was the initial contention.)

And no one asserted anywhere that honesty was wrong. That’s an emotional statement.

So are suggesting it makes sense that the real GOAT would lose 13 of 22 and all of 4 in H-T-H matchups?

Oh come on with that nonsense. Offensively, maybe he's right on #1, but the others? Opinions. Maybe well-informed, maybe not, but they were opinions.

And the relevance of your 4-0 is specious. You're implying it shows a literal answer as to who's the better coach, but that's disingenuous. I could easily, and reasonably I might add, counter that your 4-0 says as much about Pat Summitt's ability to will teams beyond the sum of their parts to reach the Final Four, as it does about Geno's supposed dominance of Pat Summitt. Maybe it means she's a great damn coach to get those teams to the title game.

I only wish Connecticut could have gotten to some of those title games when Tennessee had the better team. Then we could put that 4-0 nonsense to bed. If Connecticut had bothered to make the 2007 or 2008 title games Parker would have dunked them straight off the court like she did in Hartford. Oh but they didn't bother to show up those years. Pity, that.

Had Pat not fallen ill, you can bet your (insert expletive here) she would have won more titles. Gah. Just. Gah.

Oh come on with that nonsense. Offensively, maybe he's right on #1, but the others? Opinions. Maybe well-informed, maybe not, but they were opinions.

And the relevance of your 4-0 is specious. You're implying it shows a literal answer as to who's the better coach, but that's disingenuous. I could easily, and reasonably I might add, counter that your 4-0 says as much about Pat Summitt's ability to will teams beyond the sum of their parts to reach the Final Four, as it does about Geno's supposed dominance of Pat Summitt. Maybe it means she's a great damn coach to get those teams to the title game.

I only wish Connecticut could have gotten to some of those title games when Tennessee had the better team. Then we could put that 4-0 nonsense to bed. If Connecticut had bothered to make the 2007 or 2008 title games Parker would have dunked them straight off the court like she did in Hartford. Oh but they didn't bother to show up those years. Pity, that.

Had Pat not fallen ill, you can bet your (insert expletive here) she would have won more titles. Gah. Just. Gah.

You're talking to fans of Geno...nuff said

Reactions: Benionsopinion

feel better now? “Left, right, breath, repeat”. One of the better quotes of CPS. Have a good day

Pat coached several years before Geno was hired at UConn. Geno took several years to get to his first final four and then to win his first title.

Cherry picking any time period is easy to make someone’s case for one coach or the other.

The fact is as sad as it was that Pat had a terrible illness, you have to look at someone’s full body of work and Geno has the advantage.

Reactions: Dube

Look at it this way, true lady vols fans..
This thread got the geno-cites off of Pat Summitts honor page
and
exposes them for future onlookers to know who their allegiance lies with.
Let em rant
We know how the GOAT is!
It is the first LADY of basketball, not the second man

mission accomplished

You're talking to fans of Geno...nuff said

If that comment is directed to me I’m a fan of wcbb and specifically good WCBB. If you were half the coach you want everyone to believe you are and you watched those 4 NC games you would know that the more complete coach made the better in-game adjustments resulting in wins. If you watched our last win in 2008 you would know no coach could coach an answer for CP when she brought the right attitude and her A game to play on the same night.

Reactions: Dube
If that comment is directed to me I’m a fan of wcbb and specifically good WCBB. If you were half the coach you want everyone to believe you are and you watched those 4 NC games you would know that the more complete coach made the better in-game adjustments resulting in wins. If you watched our last win in 2008 you would know no coach could coach an answer for CP when she brought the right attitude and her A game to play on the same night.

For the most part, there was no need for adjustments because UConn had the better team in 1995, 2000, and 2004. They were evenly matched in 2003, and UConn just played a better game to win...and was helped by the fact that they had by far the best player on their team.

You also off the fact that Tennessee beat UConn prior to the NC game in 1996 and 1997 with lesser teams.

For the most part, there was no need for adjustments because UConn had the better team in 1995, 2000, and 2004. They were evenly matched in 2003, and UConn just played a better game to win...and was helped by the fact that they had by far the best player on their team.

You also off the fact that Tennessee beat UConn prior to the NC game in 1996 and 1997 with lesser teams.

We disagree.

I am leaving this thread and letting the fans of geno have their say, without confrontation.

I will post on the GOAT that I have chosen's page

You who think geno is the greatest, more power to you
as for me, I am going to my coach's page now

Anyone singing the praises of geno on that page now, is blatantly showing themself to be a negavol bc you have your own page. Please leave her's alone unless it is to honor her.
thank you and

Good bye

VN Store

Back