Why do you think Vegas has Ole Miss Favored?

I have read through all of these posts on here, and I have to tell you, many were thoughtful and many made great arguments. But after reading all of them, I must thoughtfully say...

WGKTFA....GO BIG ORANGE...WOOHOO....GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: rocytop2624
This is a nice post. Thanks for being friendly. That said, you're going to be surprised at how badly your team gets beaten on Saturday. And you are going to realize that your team isn't as good as you think it is and Tennessee is a lot better than it has been for a long while.
Not sure how good we are. We’re just as surprised at our results so far as you guys are for y’all’s. Trust me, as an ole miss fan no loss is surprising. Im sure you understand. Since UT is “better than it’s been in a long time”, we’re all looking forward to the same confidence for the Bama and UGA games. Till then, congrats on joining Miss St fans in circling us on their calendar. 45-34 rebs

Reactions: Rockytoptilidie
Last edited:
This is a nice post. Thanks for being friendly. That said, you're going to be surprised at how badly your team gets beaten on Saturday. And you are going to realize that your team isn't as good as you think it is and Tennessee is a lot better than it has been for a long while.
I think the game will likely be very close, at least I hope it is. We have beaten 4 pretty bad teams and lost to the only 2 teams we played that have winning records. Now that is definite progress for us, but I don't expect us to kill them or anything.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Haha why does the Knoxville media(including jimmy hyams) all say that UT only has 70 something? You’d think it would be kind of black and white. Did you count for yourself?
I've heard Hyams say UT has 78 scholarship players.

Um, not trying to be a naysayer, but what is our overall record the past 10 or so years??
SAME REASON MISSOURI WAS FAVORED OVER TENNESSEE................JUST BS !!! THE RESULTS.............BIG ORANGE PUT AN OLD FASHION AZZ WHOPPIN ON THE MISSOURI TIGERS !!!!!

Vegas picks the winner about 70%-75% of the time. Not against the spread, just straight up. Which means they're wrong about 25%-30% of the time.

This is one of those times.

Go Vols!

I've heard Hyams say UT has 78 scholarship players.
I had heard 71 scholarship players and seven “super seniors”. Whatever that is. Regardless of the number, we are still undermanned when you consider half are probably not frontline or even decent reserve SEC caliber players. I think Heupel is doing a great job with what he has to work with.

This is the type of game that, to win, almost everything has to go right for Tennessee.

Giving up a 28 point quarter, coming out flat in the second half, dropping sure ints, special team failures, suspect clock management, multiple penalties, injury attrition, will get you beat today.

Most of the football "experts" continue to rank Ole Miss ahead of Tennessee. The odds makers still think we have to show continued progress in getting better players and more experience in at the two deep lineup. We still have injury problems a number of positions. I think this is the most important game we have payed so far this year. The next game is always the most important game, but we really need to win the games against teams not named Alabama and Georgia, I think that if we continue to improve and win 7-8 games this year. That was my prediction at the beginning of the year and I am sticking with it. That means we have to beat Ole Miss and Kentucky.

Because Ole Miss is a year ahead in the rebuild, with a more complete/deeper/ more experienced team. They have a more proven QB, have been tested, are coming off a huge win against Arky. And in all honesty they should win. Heupel has done an outstanding job of showing us what is possible and is overachieving given the limitations of the program (no depth, building a program from scratch essential with transfers and 2nd string guys) but the Vols shouldn’t win this one on paper. But they can still go out tonight and play out of their minds and beat OleMiss. The setting is right and while a year ahead, Ole Miss isn’t much better than the Vols.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

Um, not trying to be a naysayer, but what is our overall record the past 10 or so years??
Prior years isn’t factoring in. If you look starting in 2016 to now (5 full seasons plus this partial) UT actually has a better record. If you go back 10 it swings back to Ole Miss by a little bit as Freeze was better than Jones but it’s still pretty close. Vegas is looking at how they think people will perceive the teams so they don’t care about FPI or any other measure. It’s all about how people will spend money.

-Evans isn't gonna play and Small is wounded
-better team
-full roster
-heistman candidate at qb
-great play caller as head coach
-UT has sucked for over 15 years and a couple of wins over bad teams isn't gonna earn you respect outside the fan base

Reasons and how it works, ideas..
Im thinking mostly its a team with 85 scholarship players in their 2nd year with system, vs a team with 71 scholarship players in its 2nd month with new coaches and schemes. What other reasons

The same reason Vegas sets any line: to induce even betting on both sides. Has nothing to do with who “Vegas” thinks will win or why. It has to do with how “Vegas” thinks people will bet.

As that’s the ONLY reason.

Edit: just saw LWS’ post. Beat me to it.

VN Store

Back