Why do we take low rated recruits so early?

Because the coaches trust their evaluations more than the opinions of those pencil pushing couch potatoes on TOSs. /thread
After the guys they had commit early AND stuck with last year...not going to question them.

The guys that committed early and they rode out, rose bigly. The guys they ended up dropping seemed like no big losses after all was said and done. These early commits will work themselves out, good or bad.

Because the coaches trust their evaluations more than the opinions of those pencil pushing couch potatoes on TOSs. /thread

Ok, I’m going to humor you here, because again, this isn’t a topic meant to question the coaches evaluation abilities.

So you’re telling me our coaches are avoiding top rated talent because they’re better at evaluating guys than the people rating the talent. So the 4-5* guys right now and are busts while the 3*s are that sweet spot between recruiting service rating trash and recruiting rating service good?

Ok, I’m going to humor you here, because again, this isn’t a topic meant to question the coaches evaluation abilities.

So you’re telling me our coaches are avoiding top rated talent because they’re better at evaluating guys than the people rating the talent. So the 4-5* guys right now and are busts while the 3*s are that sweet spot between recruiting service rating trash and recruiting rating service good?
I think he's simply saying that our coaches think they're better than their current ranking. There's also a clear bias from the recruiting services when it comes to commits and the blue blood programs.

Reactions: Vols410
I would like to believe this , but in reality it's because the 4 - 5 star players won't come our way until we beat the big boys ( Florida , Georgia , Bama ) on the field first .
That’s why we signed a 5 star QB and 16 4 stars between both sites last cycle.. right? Or 2 the 5 stars and 11 4 stars from the cycle before that..

You don't seem to get it. Top rated by whom? The recruiting "services" that are trying to sell you something. The bottom line is that no one has the ability to see into the future. If you want to panic at this point, go right ahead and be chicken little.

I'm sure nobody would be upset over signing "5 stars" this early - but just look at our earliest "5* prospects" last cycle - Bryn Tucker and Reggie Grimes, and where they ended up.

Point is - I wouldn't put a ton of value on prospect ratings this early.

Reactions: Ridgerunner Vol
You don't seem to get it. Top rated by whom? The recruiting "services" that are trying to sell you something. The bottom line is that no one has the ability to see into the future. If you want to panic at this point, go right ahead and be chicken little.

Feel like you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill bud, this thread was made to talk about philosophy.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Feel like you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill bud, this thread was made to talk about philosophy.

No mole hill restructuring here, "bud". Why should Pruitt have any more confidence in the recruiting "services" than what he sees with his own two experienced eyes? Your self-created thread seems to be attempting to extricate rat shite out of pepper.

No I highly doubt they are avoiding those players, but the lower ranked players they take right now are likely guys they feel are much better than their current ranking. Not as many 4-5 star guys ready to jump in the boat.

We still need to win more games before a bunch of big names are going to start jumping in early. TN doesn’t have a great instate class this year also. Whereas FL can just go ahead and take that commitment from the 4 ⭐️ 50th ranked player in the state who always wanted to be a gator.

It’s a product of a lot of things, but I think first and foremost is this staff trusts it’s evaluations, and the lower ranked kids are more anxious to commit so they don’t lose a spot / can lock in their spot and then prove they deserve it in their coming SR year.

Out of our current commits, how many have camped here at some point? Honestly don't know the answer. I was wondering if it tied into why we've taken the commits we have? Watching film is one thing, watching a kid right in front of you, doing the things asked of him, that's another. We know Pruitt loves for these guys to come to camp and get evaluated in person. In the past at least, not certain about this year, it seems like some of the lower rated guys came to camp and earned an offer. So I think that factors in to it. Pruitt gets to see some of these kids up close, see their skills, see how coachable they are, and learn a little about their personalities.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
I've often wondered the same thing, but then i look at the experience of the coaching. Example in basketball Williams and Schofield were I think 3 stars.. But they excelled. I think good coaches watch films and have a good idea... I'm trusting Coach..
Plus I dont have to mention what Jones did with his 5 stars.. It's all coaching and the players having heart....

Reactions: VOLSONLY
It's either just to piss people off.

Or, they own a piece of this website and just want to drive traffic from people complaining about recruiting.
I figure it's part of the game. Commits are like this years' bowl game; It ain't over til it's over. For us fans it's like waiting for Christmas morning, except Christmas comes twice per year now with 2 signing periods.
:

*trigger disclaimer, this is not a thread questioning the staffs ability to recruit or evaluate talent*

Looking through the current 2021 rankings (yes it’s early) we are ranked #12 with 7 commits at an average rating of 84.28.

Looking at other teams that are competition around us we have Florida #2 90.62 average, Clemson #3 95.51 average, UNC #4 92.25 average, UGA #17 94.56 average, Auburn #17 94.56 average, etc.

It looks like our staff is big on taking early lower rates recruits. Curious as to why VN thinks that is.
Do your own evals and stick with them. The recruiting svcs don't do a great job with OL's so take those out of this discussion of last year's class. I see some 3* guys to really love. If they consistently recruit guys like they signed this year and then coach them up... UT is a contender. If Pruitt starts following the recruiting site "evaluators" around to get "splash" on NSD like Jones did... he'll end up in the same place.

If they take those lower ranked players this early... then it is either a "soft offer/commit" or else they believe they're good enough to take now.

Last edited:
Do your own evals and stick with them. The recruiting svcs don't do a great job with OL's so take those out of this discussion of last year's class. I see some 3* guys to really love. If they consistently recruit guys like they signed this year and then coach them up... UT is a contender. If Pruitt starts following the recruiting site "evaluators" around to get "splash" on NSD like Jones did... he'll end up in the same place.

If they take those lower ranked players this early... then it is either a "soft offer/commit" or else they believe they're good enough to take now.
This makes too much sense. You need to stop.

Reactions: sjt18
I think CJP doesn’t gaf about stars
I'm pretty sure he doesn't either. He studies the players and goes after the ones he thinks can do, or be coached to do what he needs them to do. A much better way to do it than chasing stars.

VN Store

Back