Why do we take low rated recruits so early?

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
*trigger disclaimer, this is not a thread questioning the staffs ability to recruit or evaluate talent*

Looking through the current 2021 rankings (yes it’s early) we are ranked #12 with 7 commits at an average rating of 84.28.

Looking at other teams that are competition around us we have Florida #2 90.62 average, Clemson #3 95.51 average, UNC #4 92.25 average, UGA #17 94.56 average, Auburn #17 94.56 average, etc.

It looks like our staff is big on taking early lower rates recruits. Curious as to why VN thinks that is.

*trigger disclaimer, this is not a thread questioning the staffs ability to recruit or evaluate talent*

Looking through the current 2021 rankings (yes it’s early) we are ranked #12 with 7 commits at an average rating of 84.28.

Looking at other teams that are competition around us we have Florida #2 90.62 average, Clemson #3 95.51 average, UNC #4 92.25 average, UGA #17 94.56 average, Auburn #17 94.56 average, etc.

It looks like our staff is big on taking early lower rates recruits. Curious as to why VN thinks that is.

I think the staff are going after guys that they believe are currently underrated and will eventually jump up the rankings during their senior seasons. It’s a smart play because for a lot of these players, Tennessee might be their first SEC offer and so we will have a foot in the door way before other big time programs which betters our odds of getting them to commit/sign.

Staff Evaluations > Paid Recruiting Service Evalutions

Lots of those guys we've had early commitments from have ended up ranked highly, like Roman Harrison, Calloway, and Hyatt. They were really lowly rated with not very many offers when they committed.

Under Lyle, it was simply to pretend to have momentum and hope to upgrade later on. His vanity probably drove him to want to have a higher ranked class early in the year, even it if meant allowing kids he had no intention of signing to commit.

Under Pruitt, it is because we have an army of talent evaluators that know exactly what the coaches are looking for scouring film and finding kids that are great football players but have been over looked because they haven't camped much or don't play in a high visibility area.

I would also note where they're from. 3 kids already from Alabama. If you think these kids could blow up as seniors, you go ahead and take them now before they get Bama and Auburn's full attention. Tennessee is not a good state for recruiting so we have to take a different approach. Georgia can pull these early four and five stars right from their backyard. We have to play the long game in some cases to be competitive and get kids away from in-state powerhouse schools.

Since Pruitt offered our latest commit as soon as he got hired by UT, I would think White is going to be better than his current evaluations. And... watch the highlights. He benches 290, makes interceptions like a mad man, and returns kicks. I wouldn't be shocked to see him be a nickel/star tweener. You think Pruitt doesn't know what to do with a guy like this?

Don't worry the staff will also part ways if they think they need to after this high school / juco season. See Art Green

Who are the arbiters of ratings? Why do you believe their ratings are superior to those of our coaches? My suggestion is not to buy into the hype of the recruiting business; those who rate prospects just want to sell you something.

Under Lyle, it was simply to pretend to have momentum and hope to upgrade later on. His vanity probably drove him to want to have a higher ranked class early in the year, even it if meant allowing kids he had no intention of signing to commit.

Under Pruitt, it is because we have an army of talent evaluators that know exactly what the coaches are looking for scouring film and finding kids that are great football players but have been over looked because they haven't camped much or don't play in a high visibility area.
I would like to believe this , but in reality it's because the 4 - 5 star players won't come our way until we beat the big boys ( Florida , Georgia , Bama ) on the field first .

Why do you believe their ratings are superior to those of our coaches?

Please refer to the very first part of the post, which I have quoted below for your convenience.

I didn’t think about playing the long game to take some guys our of Alabama or Georgia. That’s probably one of the better explanations for it. I just wonder if it also isn’t to wait and weed out potential talent/character related busts.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I would like to believe this , but in reality it's because the 4 - 5 star players won't come our way until we beat the big boys ( Florida , Georgia , Bama ) on the field first .

I also feel this is a big part of it as well. I have 0 doubt that if there were some 4-5 star guys ready to commit that we would be taking them.

It's either just to piss people off.

Or, they own a piece of this website and just want to drive traffic from people complaining about recruiting.

Reactions: bluetick2
Please refer to the very first part of the post, which I have quoted below for your convenience.

I didn’t think about playing the long game to take some guys our of Alabama or Georgia. That’s probably one of the better explanations for it. I just wonder if it also isn’t to wait and weed out potential talent/character related busts.

Higher rated guys also tend to commit later in the cycle unless they are QBs.

VN Store

Back