Why do we rarely see kids from Maryville/Alcoa come to/get offered by UT?

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
2 of the best football high schools in the state and rarely do we ever get any recruits from them, kids signing with Va Tech, IU, etc. I know that those aren’t exactly football powerhouses, but we take depth recruits as well. Do the schemes in these schools make players appear better than they are?

Yes I would say it is coaching, pedigree, scheming that has them at the top. As you mentioned the kids from there who are going D1 aren't generally going to the top programs. Oakland in Murfreesboro seems to have dethroned Maryville, the growth in the midstate has created better talent and iron sharpens iron. UT does get a lot from Knox Catholic and I would say the private schools have a better chance at developing talent because they can play a broader schedule.

Reactions: volfeeva and lynnh
Randall Cobb says hello
This has been addressed a billion times. Fulmer wanted him just as a WR and not a QB. Kentucky promised him he could play QB. He went to Kentucky, wasn’t great at QB and was used as a Wildcat before being moved to WR. It wasn’t because he wasn’t wanted. Fuller was right too.

2 of the best football high schools in the state and rarely do we ever get any recruits from them, kids signing with Va Tech, IU, etc. I know that those aren’t exactly football powerhouses, but we take depth recruits as well. Do the schemes in these schools make players appear better than they are?
What are their names?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Best programs don't always mean best athletes. Most are undersized, not very fast and not better than recruits we can get elsewhere

I think size is the main issue here. Technique, coaching, execution, are all exceptional at both schools but their kids tend to be smaller as a rule than what is required for upper tier SEC play.

This has been addressed a billion times. Fulmer wanted him just as a WR and not a QB. Kentucky promised him he could play QB. He went to Kentucky, wasn’t great at QB and was used as a Wildcat before being moved to WR. It wasn’t because he wasn’t wanted. Fuller was right too.
Yeah if you want a miss by Fulmer try Patrick Willis.

Brandon Warren and Rae Sykes were two of the most sought after prospects to come out of Alcoa that I recall. Both eventually made their way to UT but never lived up to the hype. IIRC, UK mislead Randall Cobb with promises of being a QB. Fulmer should have done a much better job with that recruitment. Luckily, that miss never came back to haunt UT because Cobb’s teams at KY did not beat the Vols.

Last edited:
Maryville College had some pretty good teams of late. Essentially ran same scheme as MHS, according to my FIL. Who would know as he played at both.

There used to be some stigma, in my mind - associated with TN HS athletics and athletes. That has changed drastically in last twenty years. Butch wss perfect example of, you cant think you're too good to recruit Knoxville area. Moron.

Tried to get him.

Most kids in state don’t get offered bc most kids aren’t good enough to compete in the SEC. Unfortunately the ones that are good enough have mostly went to other power programs until just recently.

A) East Tennessee doesn’t produce the talent of Middle and West Tennessee and b) when SEC level talent does come out of East Tennessee, they go elsewhere. For both of those reasons, Middle Tennessee has been much better to UT than East Tennessee.

VN Store

Back