Why did Butch Jones get us so close, where Dooley and Pruitt didn't?

That’s just plain wrong. Sal Sunseri was a train wreck,and so was his implementation of the 3-4. Had Dooley kept Wilcox he wins 10
games minimum in 2012.

Name one good offense Wilcox shut down during his time as DC at UT. Dooley was never going to be close to winning 10 games as a HC in the SEC. He was an epic loser.
I went back and looked. The 2010 loss to number 12 LSU was the best I could find. One good defensive performance in 2 years but we still lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: NO SIR EEE
Name one good offense Wilcox shut down during his time as DC at UT. Dooley was never going to be close to winning 10 games as a HC in the SEC. He was an epic loser.
I went back and looked. The 2010 loss to number 12 LSU was the best I could find.
Big Facts. Wilcox was the DC for one year and the defense was ranked 56th nationally and got torched.

Big Facts. Wilcox was the DC for one year and the defense was ranked 56th nationally and got torched.

Wilcox was DC in 2010 and 2011. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. There was absolutely nothing about Dooley as a HC in the SEC you could point to and believe he was ever going to win 10 games.

Wilcox was DC in 2010 and 2011. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. There was absolutely nothing about Dooley as a HC in the SEC you could point to and believe he was ever going to win 10 games.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was saying that Wilcox was god awful.

I went back and looked. The 2010 loss to number 12 LSU was the best I could find. One good defensive performance in 2 years but we still lost.
When you average 36 ppg you don’t exactly have to shut the other team down to beat them bud.

When you average 36 ppg you don’t exactly have to shut the other team down to beat them bud.
We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. There was absolutely nothing about Dooley as a HC in the SEC you could point to and believe he was ever going to win 10 games.

Big facts, in 2011 Tennessee’s defense was ranked 36 with Wilcox as dc, in 2012 it was rated 109 with Sunseri as dc. But yeah Wilcox was terrible.. smdh

Big facts, in 2011 Tennessee’s defense was ranked 36 with Wilcox as dc, in 2012 it was rated 109 with Sunseri as dc. But yeah Wilcox was terrible.. smdh
Wilcox's defense was ranked 56 nationally in 2010. I could care less if it was 36 in 2011. His defenses still got worked and looked horrible.

It’s been stated but without Dobbs Jones doesn’t even have a winning season. To show how inept he was, Dobbs didn’t even play until Jones had no other choice. Same with Kamara.

Not to mention that 2016 team was LOADED. If you give Urban Meyer that team he wins a Natty.

Reactions: Volatility
It’s been stated but without Dobbs Jones doesn’t even have a winning season. To show how inept he was, Dobbs didn’t even play until Jones had no other choice. Same with Kamara.

Not to mention that 2016 team was LOADED. If you give Urban Meyer that team he wins a Natty.

The plan was to RS Dobbs, and I believe it was at his request. It had also been talked about by Rucker and others that Dobbs playing as well as he did was somewhat of a shocker. Meaning he looked pretty bad in practice.

Obviously it's pretty much a consensus that our last 3 coaches weren't the answer. However for whatever reason, Butch Jones got us pretty damn close to where we wanted to be. We came SO close (and should have) to winning the east two straight years! Rather than dwelling on the reasons why Butch blew it, I would like to look at it from another point of view. What did he do right to get us that close where the other two coaches couldn't even sniff that much success? Was it recruiting? Was it motivation? Was it luck? I'm just curious as to how Butch almost touched success here where the other two weren't even close.
Timing is everything

Obviously it's pretty much a consensus that our last 3 coaches weren't the answer. However for whatever reason, Butch Jones got us pretty damn close to where we wanted to be. We came SO close (and should have) to winning the east two straight years! Rather than dwelling on the reasons why Butch blew it, I would like to look at it from another point of view. What did he do right to get us that close where the other two coaches couldn't even sniff that much success? Was it recruiting? Was it motivation? Was it luck? I'm just curious as to how Butch almost touched success here where the other two weren't even close.

Josh Dobbs

Jones success was 99% Dobbs and 1% modern O. Pruitt never stood a chance with all the talent he had because he was hell bent on running an O that hadn’t been effective in over 20 years.

Dobbs helped Butch
Pruitt needed a quarterback so he could focus more on defense.

Of all of the coaches since Fulmer I'll run down who was best fit for what.

HC: Kiffin
OC: DeBorg
DC: Wilcox
ST: Pruitt
DB: Terry Fair
LB: Lance Thompson
WR: Dooley
OL: Pittman
TE: Chaney
RB: Eddie Gran
DL: Ed Orgeron

ST: Bain

Mainly Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, Barnett etc (a few others like Malone, Jennings, Calloway). He did recruit several key playmakers. I think Dobbs was underrated, he extended a lot of plays with his mobility & Hurd was a special talent (while here). Kamara a playmaker. Barnett’ sack record sums up his contribution nicely. I think the 2016 season was the most prolific TN offense in history. Believe we were 2nd in the sec scoring averaging 36+ pts per game. You’re right though, no question Dooley & Pruitt didn’t even sniff the success Jones had (until the 2017 season).

Jones is a good coach. I see him moving to better jobs in the future.

Why did Butch Jones get us so close, where Dooley and Pruitt didn't?

He was the best coach of the three. Simple as that. This answer will hold true after Heupel has been added to the list and is gone. Butch will learn to not say goofy things and win football games at the same time.

For the record, we probably shouldn’t hang the firing of any coach around the neck of JG. It is the coach who decides who plays under center.
In one sense no but in another sense yes. The choices of Jones and Pruitt to stick with JG contributed heavily to them being fired. It was not JG's "fault" that they chose him... he worked hard and did all he could... but it was his poor performance on the field that made their choices bad.

VN Store

Back